• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Random cutout during trips (XRV 750)

Rasper

Mar 26, 2018
Pretoria, South Africa
Hi All, maybe someone's experienced this before as well.? I'll be driving for about 20 - 30 km's and the bike literally just dies on me for no apparent reason.

I've checked the fuel tank for blockages - nothing,
I've checked the pipe works, also clean,
I've tested the electronics down to 'tonguing' the spark plugs and its all good (nice way to get electrocuted - don't make my mistake)

I then tow the bike back home, let it sleep for the night and voila!, the next day - It starts up with a purr on the first attempt within 2 seconds. It then drives for a while and simply randomly cuts out again.

Any direction from you guys if you've had similar experiences would be highly appreciated.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Being that it starts and runs eliminates many mechanical causes, which leaves you with only two things, spark or fuel. Have you checked that there’s actually fuel in the float bowls when this happens? Also, I know the old XRs were prone to stator failure.

Hi All, maybe someone's experienced this before as well.? I'll be driving for about 20 - 30 km's and the bike literally just dies on me for no apparent reason.

I've checked the fuel tank for blockages - nothing,
I've checked the pipe works, also clean,
I've tested the electronics down to 'tonguing' the spark plugs and its all good (nice way to get electrocuted - don't make my mistake)

I then tow the bike back home, let it sleep for the night and voila!, the next day - It starts up with a purr on the first attempt within 2 seconds. It then drives for a while and simply randomly cuts out again.

Any direction from you guys if you've had similar experiences would be highly appreciated.

Rasper

Mar 26, 2018
Pretoria, South Africa
Thanks Graves, Appreciate the feedback. I think you're spot on with the fuel thought. It seems the fuel tank taps were the problem on both sides. They were both pretty clogged, so fuel would seep out, but not enough to keep the machine running for a proper distance. Then when stopped for a while, the fuel would return enough to startup and go again for a while.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
You also want to make sure that the tank is venting properly, if air can't get in gas can't get out.

Thanks Graves, Appreciate the feedback. I think you're spot on with the fuel thought. It seems the fuel tank taps were the problem on both sides. They were both pretty clogged, so fuel would seep out, but not enough to keep the machine running for a proper distance. Then when stopped for a while, the fuel would return enough to startup and go again for a while.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu