Rear Wheel Bearing Failure

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
If the bearing presses in snug you should be fine, although I’d use loctite as installation “lube” just in case. I’d also replace all the bearings in the rear axle, if the spacers don’t look damaged then I wouldn’t worry about them. You might replace the front wheel bearings as well... peace of mind.

Is the hub usable?

Should I replace the bearing in the cush drive also?

How able the center spacer in the hub? The spacer in the cush drive? The wheel collars and axle?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm a little frazzled

:)

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Look at you... you didn’t think you could replace the bearings, and you ended up completing one of the trickiest mechanical tasks know to man. Big big thumbs up.

It is out! Grinded three weak spots, couldn't knock it loose with a drift but was able get a flat blade under the thin spot and leverage it out. Yikes!

This did scratch the hub a little, but I emeried the rough spots, hope it is good enough

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: misterk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
That’s a nice tool, but to be completely honest I’ve always just used sockets and old bearing races.

Thanks!

Looking at bearing driver kits on Amazon, would this bearing driver kit work to build the required drivers? Can I stack 2 drivers? Need a 20mm pilot with a range of drivers; 24mm, 28mm, 47mm, and 55mm

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
Thanks!

Looking at bearing driver kits on Amazon, would this bearing driver kit work to build the required drivers? Can I stack 2 drivers? Need a 20mm pilot with a range of drivers; 24mm, 28mm, 47mm, and 55mm
Spend that on beer and what ever else makes you happy IMO, bushing install kits are old and rusty on every garage shelf. I got one! Socket or even the old outer race from? will be just fine. Remember the axle holds it all together. A dab of loctite and your good. Just make sure it turns nice when your all done. Just think what it was like prior to the horror. Get good quality FAG or better sealed brgs and go for another 20K.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I have 1/4 of a tool box drawer devoted to old bearing races, some of the best tools and they were free.

Spend that on beer and what ever else makes you happy IMO, bushing install kits are old and rusty on every garage shelf. I got one! Socket or even the old outer race from? will be just fine. Remember the axle holds it all together. A dab of loctite and your good. Just make sure it turns nice when your all done. Just think what it was like prior to the horror. Get good quality FAG or better sealed brgs and go for another 20K.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Hey, from one mechanic to another: How did you like the four ball idea? Might just work, I’ll have to remember that one to try later. Ah, the things that keep me up at night.

You now it took me well over a minute to poke that. Unanimous then freezer and tap em in. Don't over dress the hole!

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
OK, I will stop messing with the hub! Hopefully, it will work and the bearing won't spin!

Ordered the bearing driver kit, could be done with the field expedient method, but it is always fun buying tools!

Grabbed a front and rear set of wheel bearings and seals from All Balls Racing, they have reviewed well on the interwebs. Plus a fun name :)

I went ahead and ordered all the wheel collars and spacers, better safe than sorry.

Now time for more questions!

When installing the bearing is storing the bearings in the deep freezer for 24 hours enough or do I need to also use heat?

What Loctite should I use? Should I apply it to the outer bearing race or the hub? How about penetrating Loctite after bearings are installed, bad idea?

Should the dust seals be filled with grease before installing?

Sorry for all the questions, this is new territory for me. Thank you for all your help!

Brian

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
OK, I will stop messing with the hub! Hopefully, it will work and the bearing won't spin!

Ordered the bearing driver kit, could be done with the field expedient method, but it is always fun buying tools!

Grabbed a front and rear set of wheel bearings and seals from All Balls Racing, they have reviewed well on the interwebs. Plus a fun name :)

I went ahead and ordered all the wheel collars and spacers, better safe than sorry. your $ but if there weren't scored or galled ?

When installing the bearing is storing the bearings in the deep freezer for 24 hours enough or do I need to also use heat? Heat if you want I never did but can't hurt/// freezing If normal fitted, an hour or so is fine.

What Loctite should I use? Should I apply it to the outer bearing race or the hub? How about penetrating Loctite after bearings are installed, bad idea?

Should the dust seals be filled with grease before installing? OEM brgs aren't sealed I'm thinkin, But if you buy fag aftermarket Sealed brgs come lubed with hi grade syn grease

Sorry for all the questions, this is new territory for me. Thank you for all your help!

Brian
no need for loctite if its snug? If it just falls in then no need for freezing, if you going to buy it special then bushing loc would be my choice. Most brg places have samples.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Freezing the bearings is not really necessary, the hubs are tough and can take the beating of bearing installation. Just make sure to keep things straight and true and they should go in as easily as they came out.

As for loctite, I like the blue for this application, just a dab, smear a little on the outer race and inside the hub... just on the failed bearing, the others don’t need it.

Always fill seals with grease.

I went ahead and ordered all the wheel collars and spacers, better safe than sorry.

When installing the bearing is storing the bearings in the deep freezer for 24 hours enough or do I need to also use heat?

Should the dust seals be filled with grease before installing?

Brian

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
Brian
Now I have Q's
(1) How was this not noticed during tire changes? Do you do your own changes? If not I'd have a talk with those who do it for you (if you do its as hard or harder than the job at hand, esp on these bikes) I am sure that every time the brg is touchable you will be twirling it in the future.
(2) What did you use to grind that hard sucker to the point of splitting. Tight area to get to.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I change my own tires and for the reason it wasn't discovered before failure is because I wasn't checking. As mentioned I will be checking going forward!

My AT is my second motorcycle and I'm still very much in the learning process on the care and feeding of these machines.

A Dremel tool with a grinding cylinder was used on the bearing race, it was slow going but controllable, that steel is hard!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Life lesson learned maintenance schedules should be followed: inspect wheels and tires every 4,000 miles by checking for side to side play in the bearings, page 3-28, it was right there in the service manual all along.

"egg on my face"

Reactions: daytonatwin

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
Life lesson learned maintenance schedules should be followed: inspect wheels and tires every 4,000 miles by checking for side to side play in the bearings, page 3-28, it was right there in the service manual all along.

"egg on my face"
You have my respect! Tire changing on a tube type application and not pinching tubes is quite an accomplishment, kinda why I have 2 of ea at all times. Do you have a tire changer stand? Or do you remove wheels and take em some where?

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu