Rear Wheel Bearing Failure

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Maybe not, I doubt that that bearing was loose for very long, once it started to go it probably went fairly quick. Now you might have been able to feel or hear roughness in the bearing for a little while, but side to side movement in the rear wheel wouldn’t appear until the bearing was well into failure.

You know that you can use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, yes?

Life lesson learned maintenance schedules should be followed: inspect wheels and tires every 4,000 miles by checking for side to side play in the bearings, page 3-28, it was right there in the service manual all along.

"egg on my face"

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It’s good practice for when you have to change out a tube on the side of the freeway on a moonless night.

You have my respect! Tire changing on a tube type application and not pinching tubes is quite an accomplishment, kinda why I have 2 of ea at all times. Do you have a tire changer stand? Or do you remove wheels and take em some where?

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
You have my respect! Tire changing on a tube type application and not pinching tubes is quite an accomplishment, kinda why I have 2 of ea at all times. Do you have a tire changer stand? Or do you remove wheels and take em some where?

After changing 5 sets of tires on the ground I finally added a tire changing stand, along with a nice bead breaker and Baja No-Pinch tool! :) I have no idea why I waited some long.

I find adding a little bit of air in the tube helps with the pinching issue, plus talc on the tube with lots of Ru-Gylde on the bead and rim. Did pinch the front tube once by forcing the irons too far back over the bead trying to force it over the rim, the Baja No-Pinch helps.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Maybe not, I doubt that that bearing was loose for very long, once it started to go it probably went fairly quick. Now you might have been able to feel or hear roughness in the bearing for a little while, but side to side movement in the rear wheel wouldn’t appear until the bearing was well into failure.

You know that you can use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, yes?

Hmm, didn't know about the screwdriver method, but saw a mechanic use a Bic pen body on the valve cover of my Humvee once to listen to the valves

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Same sort of thing. Place screwdriver on what you want to listen to then hold the end of the handle against your ear.

Hmm, didn't know about the screwdriver method, but saw a mechanic use a Bic pen body on the valve cover of my Humvee once to listen to the valves

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Success!

Bearing drivers arrived today and I was able to the new bearings and seals installed.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, I couldn't have done the job without it.

Took a short half hour test ride and all seems well.

Stay safe

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bardley and Graves

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Full disclosure, I'm an idiot!

The drive sprocket bearing has a distance collar installed through, the proud end towards the center of the hub, except I installed backward! Meaning I had been whacking on the inner race of the bearing.

IDIOT

I switched the collar around and seems smooth with the bearing but new bearing ordered and will be replaced before riding too far.

I apologize for not posting the full story earlier, I was embarrassed and the full realization of the damage done to the bearing just dawned on me.

Ugh!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

scott_farrar

Jul 19, 2021
Colorado
I had the right rear bearing completely fail on my AT 2016 at 10,000 miles. I was able to use a punch to remove the left rear without issue, but when I attempted the right side one, I blew out the inner race and even sheared some of the balls in the process. To remove the stuck outer race I welded several beads to the race, working my way around until I had a striking surface. After the hub cooled a bit, I was able to strike the weld blob, pretty hard, and it came out. See pic

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Was this the bearing in the sprocket carrier? I lost this one my '17 AT also

I don't have a welder so I ended up grinding the outer race until I could break it Fun!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu