• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Remove DCT Parking Brake?

Apr 30, 2018
San Diego
I've been using the parking brake on my DCT but I'm not really sure it's necessary. Why is it on the DCT but not the regular model?

I was thinking about removing it so I could install some non-DCT hand guards (probably Barkbuster Storms) that would then be closer to the grips and offer better wind protection.

Has anyone considered removing the parking brake? Anyone actually done it?

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Can you shut the bike off in gear so it won’t roll away?

I've been using the parking brake on my DCT but I'm not really sure it's necessary. Why is it on the DCT but not the regular model?

I was thinking about removing it so I could install some non-DCT hand guards (probably Barkbuster Storms) that would then be closer to the grips and offer better wind protection.

Apr 30, 2018
San Diego
Can you shut the bike off in gear so it won’t roll away?
I was taught to shut off the bike in neutral and lock the handlebars to the left so it wouldn't roll. And for parking on a hill, I was taught to back it up against a curb. And that's what I've been doing for the last 24 years and my bikes have never fallen over. Maybe I just got lucky!

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I wasn’t suggesting that you were doing anything wrong, just wondering if the rear wheel could be engine locked with the engine off, which is sometimes beneficial.

I was taught to shut off the bike in neutral and lock the handlebars to the left so it wouldn't roll. And for parking on a hill, I was taught to back it up against a curb. And that's what I've been doing for the last 24 years and my bikes have never fallen over. Maybe I just got lucky!

Apr 30, 2018
San Diego
I have the Barkbuster Storm hand guards on my DCT. The kit comes with a part that “adjusts” the brake lever so it rests closer to the grip.
Does the parking brake light still work as designed? I think I read in another forum that they used the adjusting part but that the parking brake light was always on. Maybe they goofed up something when they installed it.

Apr 30, 2018
San Diego
The parking brake indicator light works as designed. It turns on and off as you would expect. The part activates the micro switch.

It’s been a while, but I remember the instructions were pretty clear and easy to follow.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for--hand guards that can be installed closer to the grips for better wind protection. Are your Storms significantly better than the OEM guards? I don't do any off-road riding (yet), so I just use the guards to keep my hands from freezing on cold mornings.

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for--hand guards that can be installed closer to the grips for better wind protection. Are your Storms significantly better than the OEM guards? I don't do any off-road riding (yet), so I just use the guards to keep my hands from freezing on cold mornings.

The Storms are definitely significantly better than the OEM guards. The Barkbuster handguards are much more robust with the aluminum backbone won’t pop off like the OEM ones, which are only attached by a plastic clip at the bar end.

But more specifically to what I think you are asking, the Storm plastics have a lot more size and volume to the depth of the guard and do a much better job of keeping the wind and other elements off your hands in the colder months than the OEM. Resulting in warmer hands during the ride. However I may swap out the storm plastics in the summer months for more airflow to the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold
Aug 16, 2017
Nor-Cal
motorcycleadventuregear.com
My parking brake has saved me a few times. There has been a few times on steep trails where I was trying to help someone and couldn't get the bike to sit still without the parking brake. I also have tried parking on a few driveways that didn't have curbs where I needed to use the parking brake.

Mitch

africatwin.org gold
Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
Agree with others. I would not remove the parking brake. Just like with a car, there are times when you need a parking brake.

Apr 30, 2018
San Diego
Don’t remove! You may have need to start or go neutral on a hill. I have the storms I’m fine.
Already removed. I figure if I ever get in a situation where I wished I had the parking brake, I'll put it back on. :)

I just put on the Storms and they work really well for keeping the wind and cold off my hands on my morning commute.

Mitch

africatwin.org gold
Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
Already removed. I figure if I ever get in a situation where I wished I had the parking brake, I'll put it back on. :)

I just put on the Storms and they work really well for keeping the wind and cold off my hands on my morning commute.
I went on a 200 mile ride last Thursday, with at least 120 miles of it on gravel and double track. There were at least 3 times I used the parking brake to hold the bike on steep tough sections. I think you're going to wish you had it now and then.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Catahoula

Jun 20, 2018
Canada

The DCT parking brake has another point.
It is a theft deterrent. Most people do not know about it and they would not be able to roll the motorcycle and not know why.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
The only bike I’ve not worried about theft was my Goldwing, too damn heavy to simply throw into the back of a truck.

The DCT parking brake has another point.
It is a theft deterrent. Most people do not know about it and they would not be able to roll the motorcycle and not know why.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
I never use mine, but noticed it needs adjustment often. Broke the switch the 1st big off I had. Tried to use it as a riding aid for the 1st couple of thousand kms, but it was too weak to do much. Now it's mounted there like a white elephant.

Will probably remove it some point in the future when I have the bike apart

JoeBiker25

Nov 25, 2015
Gilroy, CA
I managed to break the micro switch somehow when installing the Barkbusters Storm and Oxford heated grips. The parking brake light does not go off now. New switch ordered. With respect to the parking brake's utility, I use it all the time as the bike goes into neutral when switched off and can easily roll on a sloping trail etc.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu