Repost of Official: 2020 Honda Africa Twin revealed

superfunkomatic

I've had a few sputters on cold starts but let it warm up for a few minutes and no issues with stalling or cutting out.

It's unfortunate that the resale value of used bikes is not better. I'd certainly upgrade but I'd take a bath on a three-year-old bike.

I really like the changes. I want a new 2020 adventure sports. But it’s tough to do that when my 2019 doesn’t work. I like to keep riding my bike until it’s about -5 degrees Celsius. This is not possible with my bike. Around 2 degrees it backfires out the intake and stalls out crossing intersections in front of oncoming traffic. Warm up to 10 degrees and works perfect. The new bike is exactly what I want in a bike and they pulled it off while reducing the weight. But I spent 15 grand to have the shortest riding season I’ve ever had. I’d hate to spend 20 grand to have another Honda that also doesn’t run.

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
I've had a few sputters on cold starts but let it warm up for a few minutes and no issues with stalling or cutting out.

It's unfortunate that the resale value of used bikes is not better. I'd certainly upgrade but I'd take a bath on a three-year-old bike.
I wish I could say the same. I have never moved my bike until I have all 3 bars on my temperature. Backfiring out the intake was after a 20 minute ride. Stalling in an intersection was after a 5 minute warm up and 10 minutes of riding. The next day outside temps went up to 13 and it works perfectly. Nobody else seems to have any problems. Either I got the Friday afternoon built bike or it’s a combination of altitude and temp. You would think there would be some people out there riding at cold temps and low elevation. I can’t get any help from Honda, I cant find any answers on forums. The best option I can find for tuning is a power commander and $300 per hour on the dyno for approximately 4 hours. Ouch! Makes me miss
carburetors. The new 2020 AT looks amazing for what I want. It has everything a GS has except the shaft drive but with a much smoother motor and much less weight. Huge winner in my mind, if I can get it to run.

EhViffer

Gold Rider
Oct 7, 2019
Calgary Alberta Canada
Good review of the 2020 adventure sports especially if you understand Dutch.

EhViffer

Gold Rider
Oct 7, 2019
Calgary Alberta Canada
Curious to find out too.
Visordown review says bikes had both these tires; Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross Tourer AX41T and Metzler Karoo Street

EhViffer

Gold Rider
Oct 7, 2019
Calgary Alberta Canada
Here is an early video of test ride on the AT Adventure Sports.

Last edited:

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
drool

Going to be hard to resist ordering a 2020 with the electronic suspension. No accessories listed yet but I wonder if the manual ES with have an up/down quickshifter option?

EhViffer

Gold Rider
Oct 7, 2019
Calgary Alberta Canada
Here is something straight from the horse's mouth as it were; Kenji Morita - Large Project Leader for Africa Twin

EhViffer

Gold Rider
Oct 7, 2019
Calgary Alberta Canada
Yes I know this is in German but the quality of the video is very high. When you don't yet have the real thing one does what one can to deal with the wait.

EhViffer

Gold Rider
Oct 7, 2019
Calgary Alberta Canada
Another good quality video review, in Turkish.

Reactions: Admin

ATCurious

Nov 14, 2019
Alberta
I wish I could say the same. I have never moved my bike until I have all 3 bars on my temperature. Backfiring out the intake was after a 20 minute ride. Stalling in an intersection was after a 5 minute warm up and 10 minutes of riding. The next day outside temps went up to 13 and it works perfectly. Nobody else seems to have any problems. Either I got the Friday afternoon built bike or it’s a combination of altitude and temp. You would think there would be some people out there riding at cold temps and low elevation. I can’t get any help from Honda, I cant find any answers on forums. The best option I can find for tuning is a power commander and $300 per hour on the dyno for approximately 4 hours. Ouch! Makes me miss
carburetors. The new 2020 AT looks amazing for what I want. It has everything a GS has except the shaft drive but with a much smoother motor and much less weight. Huge winner in my mind, if I can get it to run.
Have you had any luck figuring out what is causing your troubles?

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
Have you had any luck figuring out what is causing your troubles?
No luck at all. The dealership I use is 300km away. Not the end of the world but its a full day to load the bike and go there to drop it off for warranty work and come home without it, then go back when its done to get it. Two trips there and back 1200km. I also had the problem that the warranty was going to expire early in spring so I really wouldn't get to ride the bike and be confident its fixed before warranty runs out. Tough to ride in Saskatchewan in winter! I'm not here to bad mouth honda, my love for mortorcycles started on a 50Z and I've had many great hondas since. But in the end I wasn't comfortable with a bike that was causing me these kind of problems or how hard it is on the motor everytime it misfires and lets a knock out from the bottom end. I decided to get rid of it. I put almost 11000km on the AT in 6 months and found I was mostly travelling to the mountains with a lot of highway miles and I found the 21" front to be very noticeable on the pavement twisties. After looking at all the options of a more street orientated ADV bike i decided I didn't want to spend 20 grand or more for a KTM 1290 or a Super tenere or a tiger or a gs. So I decided to go with what I believe is the best bang for the buck for me, I just traded in the AT for a new, old stock 2018 v stom 1000 XT. I wont be able to try it out for a few months but I'm looking forward to it. It has a 19" front, tubeless wire wheels, center stand, crappy small factory panniers, a five year unlimited mileage warranty and proven reliability from a motor that has been around for over 20 years. I think its damn ugly compared to the beautiful AT but I don't look at it, I ride it, its not ugly from the seat. I did ask my dealer to let me know if they find the problem so I can help out the people on here with the same issues. No idea if they will follow through on that, but I will post it if they do. Thanks to everyone that helped out or tried to along the way its a great group to be part of. Also a special thanks to cuchulainn, I find to often there are people that love one kind of bike or one brand no matter what. Cuchulainn is always open to all motorcycles and willing to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of them all. There is no perfect motorcycle and whats the right bike for me might not be the right bike for you. I hope everyone has better luck with there At than I did.

ATCurious

Nov 14, 2019
Alberta
No luck at all. The dealership I use is 300km away. Not the end of the world but its a full day to load the bike and go there to drop it off for warranty work and come home without it, then go back when its done to get it. Two trips there and back 1200km. I also had the problem that the warranty was going to expire early in spring so I really wouldn't get to ride the bike and be confident its fixed before warranty runs out. Tough to ride in Saskatchewan in winter! I'm not here to bad mouth honda, my love for mortorcycles started on a 50Z and I've had many great hondas since. But in the end I wasn't comfortable with a bike that was causing me these kind of problems or how hard it is on the motor everytime it misfires and lets a knock out from the bottom end. I decided to get rid of it. I put almost 11000km on the AT in 6 months and found I was mostly travelling to the mountains with a lot of highway miles and I found the 21" front to be very noticeable on the pavement twisties. After looking at all the options of a more street orientated ADV bike i decided I didn't want to spend 20 grand or more for a KTM 1290 or a Super tenere or a tiger or a gs. So I decided to go with what I believe is the best bang for the buck for me, I just traded in the AT for a new, old stock 2018 v stom 1000 XT. I wont be able to try it out for a few months but I'm looking forward to it. It has a 19" front, tubeless wire wheels, center stand, crappy small factory panniers, a five year unlimited mileage warranty and proven reliability from a motor that has been around for over 20 years. I think its damn ugly compared to the beautiful AT but I don't look at it, I ride it, its not ugly from the seat. I did ask my dealer to let me know if they find the problem so I can help out the people on here with the same issues. No idea if they will follow through on that, but I will post it if they do. Thanks to everyone that helped out or tried to along the way its a great group to be part of. Also a special thanks to cuchulainn, I find to often there are people that love one kind of bike or one brand no matter what. Cuchulainn is always open to all motorcycles and willing to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of them all. There is no perfect motorcycle and whats the right bike for me might not be the right bike for you. I hope everyone has better luck with there At than I did.

ATCurious

Nov 14, 2019
Alberta
Sorry to hear it worked out for you the way it did man, congrats on the new V Strom though, I’m sure spring can’t come soon enough for you.
I hope the dealer lets you know what they find, so curious to hear what it is.

Reactions: ToontownTim

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu