• Wishing everyone a happy new year! May 2019 bring you tons of happiness and riding time.

Rev limited to 6000rpm when wide open throttle

Feb 9, 2019
Melbourne, Victoria
Hello all, Just joined the forum and this is my first post. Looking forward to being part of the community. I’ve had my 2017 Africa Twin for a few weeks now and I have query regarding a 6000rpm rev limit when accelerating with wide open throttle (held against the throttle stop). Is this by design or is there something wrong with my bike?? I find that if I back the throttle off a bit it will rev to 8000rpm when the rev limiter kicks in again. I experimented a bit further by leaving in second gear and accelerating with throttle against the stop, when it reaches 6000rpm it stops accelerating unless I back the throttle of again... with throttle backed off a bit it starts to accelerate and when I reached 7000rpm I wound throttle on to the stop again at which point it seemed to cut power until engine slowed to 6000rpm where engine control seemed to hold it. So, I know peak torque is at 6000rpm and that’s why I’m thinking it’s by design rather than a fault with my bike... but I’d just like to know others experience before I have the pain of contacting a dealer to resolve... has anyone else experienced this with the their Africa Twin? I should mention as well mine is a manual. Thanks in advance.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
Never heard of or experienced this. Does it do this in all different TC settings? My TC3 is extremely sensitive and activate easy under full acceleration (I think it detects the the front wheel trying to lift off the ground) and it feels like hitting the revlimiter

Feb 9, 2019
Melbourne, Victoria
Never heard of or experienced this. Does it do this in all different TC settings? My TC3 is extremely sensitive and activate easy under full acceleration (I think it detects the the front wheel trying to lift off the ground) and it feels like hitting the revlimiter
Hi Squily, thanks for the reply. Yes good point but I tried it in all TC settings including off... still under warranty so guess I should take it in to the dealer soon.

Feb 9, 2019
Melbourne, Victoria
Sounds like your tps is wonky

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks Paxton, good suggestion. I have ordered a HealTech diagnostic tool to do some investigations with (was going to buy one anyway). Hopefully it will be diagnosable and covered under warranty. I have the service manual and it lists procedures for fault finding TP Sensor so will follow that and see how I go. Makes a lot of sense if TP sensor is faulty though. Cheers again.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Does it feel like the traction control kicking in, or does it just stop making power?

Hello all, Just joined the forum and this is my first post. Looking forward to being part of the community. I’ve had my 2017 Africa Twin for a few weeks now and I have query regarding a 6000rpm rev limit when accelerating with wide open throttle (held against the throttle stop). Is this by design or is there something wrong with my bike?? I find that if I back the throttle off a bit it will rev to 8000rpm when the rev limiter kicks in again. I experimented a bit further by leaving in second gear and accelerating with throttle against the stop, when it reaches 6000rpm it stops accelerating unless I back the throttle of again... with throttle backed off a bit it starts to accelerate and when I reached 7000rpm I wound throttle on to the stop again at which point it seemed to cut power until engine slowed to 6000rpm where engine control seemed to hold it. So, I know peak torque is at 6000rpm and that’s why I’m thinking it’s by design rather than a fault with my bike... but I’d just like to know others experience before I have the pain of contacting a dealer to resolve... has anyone else experienced this with the their Africa Twin? I should mention as well mine is a manual. Thanks in advance.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I know that it's not the TC, but often times a rev limiter is abrupt and might feel similar. What I'm thinking is that the stock air intake and exhaust aren't allowing the airflow needed to process the amount of fuel being delivered at WOT at that RPM, back off the throttle it delivers a little less fuel everything is right with the world. To test this you could remove the air filters and spark arresters and see if it still acts up. ???

Hi Graves, it’s not TC control because it does it even with TC off. Power is modulated to hold 6000rpm.

Feb 9, 2019
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Graves, I would tend to agree but it happens like a switch and so accurately controlled to 6000rpm that I feel either it is by design or a fail state. Since other bikes don’t seem to exhibit this behaviour I think something is wrong and TP sensor makes logical sense. I have ordered a HealTech OBD tool (is that what everyone else is using?) and I plan to look at TP sensor values to see if anything looks wonky as well as reading any codes stored. Hopefully tool will allow me to plot TP sensor values...

Finally solved the issue. When I took fairings off I found previous owner had installed Uni Filter pre-filters incorrectly!!! I first removed and took her for a ride... and simply rode like a different bike!! Got her home and installed pre-filters correctly and now all is good. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
So it was an airflow problem... glad that you got it sorted out.

Finally solved the issue. When I took fairings off I found previous owner had installed Uni Filter pre-filters incorrectly!!! I first removed and took her for a ride... and simply rode like a different bike!! Got her home and installed pre-filters correctly and now all is good. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Last edited:

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu