• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2020!

Riding buddy going 790 KTM??

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho
My best riding buddy who also has an A/T is selling his 2017 bike in order to make room for the KTM 790 adventure R. His reason is that the KTM is lighter and has the same power of the A/T. He has had a 450 KTM EXC in the a past and has been sucked into the marketing scheme of the KTM again "race ready". He is a bit fickle and I hate to see him regret this decision due to hearing about oil leaks, fuel pump problems, software issues with the instrument panel and the supposedly problem with the engine mount which is also mounted to the right foot peg, causing the engine block to crack. Apparently this first year bike is assembled in China and the Q.C.dept. has some problems getting things squared away with these bikes. Has anybody here heard or this? Can it be confirmed that these first year KTM's have this issue?

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
We all know about Honda reliability. Just be ready for the inevitable roadside repairs when riding with him. It’s hard to watch people suffer, isn’t it?

My best riding buddy who also has an A/T is selling his 2017 bike in order to make room for the KTM 790 adventure R. His reason is that the KTM is lighter and has the same power of the A/T. He has had a 450 KTM EXC in the a past and has been sucked into the marketing scheme of the KTM again "race ready". He is a bit fickle and I hate to see him regret this decision due to hearing about oil leaks, fuel pump problems, software issues with the instrument panel and the supposedly problem with the engine mount which is also mounted to the right foot peg, causing the engine block to crack. Apparently this first year bike is assembled in China and the Q.C.dept. has some problems getting things squared away with these bikes. Has anybody here heard or this? Can it be confirmed that these first year KTM's have this issue?

Reactions: livingwellcfr

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho
We all know about Honda reliability. Just be ready for the inevitable roadside repairs when riding with him. It’s hard to watch people suffer, isn’t it?
Yeah, When he had the 450 KTM, I had to tow him out of a few places with my trusty ol' DRZ. His bike was always having some issue, valves were a constant problem. Honestly, he spent thousands of dollars on that bike. That's how I figured out what KTM represents...keeps taking money.

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
How could he live with those fat guppy fuel tanks? Where am I with this? I too was going for the promise of service free miles from KTM and was serious until I sat on one wondered what all I could run into with those dummy placed fuel tanks! Am I just off base here? a pic don't come close to reality ....

PS UPS has box loaded on truck, will be here today they say WOOHOO

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho
How could he live with those fat guppy fuel tanks? Where am I with this? I too was going for the promise of service free miles from KTM and was serious until I sat on one wondered what all I could run into with those dummy placed fuel tanks! Am I just off base here? a pic don't come close to reality ....

PS UPS has box loaded on truck, will be here today they say WOOHOO

View attachment 2241
Honestly, the lowered tank is what drew him to the lowered center gravity. I wouldn't take this thing out until i got some guards on it which will also make this thing wider than any part on the bike. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

MacTavish

Nov 5, 2017
Ne Uk
There's a few threads out there on the 790Adv eating its clutches allegedly due to an oil jet blocking. Some wearing out (not warrantied) in under a few K miles. If I were going smaller/lighter I'd look long and hard at the Yam 700 Tenere, probably the bike he wants without the KTM issue baubles. PS
I've owned a few KTMs (4 of ) over they years and only 1 was issue free in my ownership, think I'm done drooling over their brochures nowadays and thankfully the styling dept have helped that with most of thier Adv bikes looking like they fell out of the ugly tree, hitting all the branches on the way down.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
...that and you hate to loose a good riding buddy due to fact that his choice of machine often leaves you cutting planned trips short. Plan a ten day adventure, head home on day three, been there done that.

He can ride a scooter if he chooses to. I just think he's making a big mistake on a first year problem bike.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
I volunteered at the Touratech Rally this past year and they had the 790 ADV R and the Twin to test ride. The demo route was a 15ish mile mostly dirt loop you could get a chance to open the bikes up on. I rode the KTM first and it felt competent and smooth, the Twin, however, had me giggling like a school girl and plastered a big smile on my face. Soooo damn fun to thrash around on. And you can't beat the tractor like reliability of a Honda.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
He can ride a scooter if he chooses to. I just think he's making a big mistake on a first year problem bike.
Never ever ever ever buy a first year new anything, you become the real world Beta tester.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
That's generally my rule, however, I bought one of the first gen 2 Tacoma's back in 2005. Drove that thing for 15 years and 113000 miles and still got 40+% of what I paid for it when I sold it a couple months ago. Honda bikes and Toyota vehicles, can't go wrong.

Never ever ever ever buy a first year new anything, you become the real world Beta tester.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
That is one of the few exceptions, my work rig is a Tacoma and I love the sh*t out of that thing

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
Never a worry, there are always those that want it first. Thanks to them for guinea pigging for the rest of us

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
I don’t deal with impractical hypotheticals or black and white. I wasn’t presenting an absolute, just good advice based on my experience. There will always be folks happy to be the first, I’ll gladly let them.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
We could have avoided the Pacer... or even any American car built early eighties.

You miss the point....if everyone took your advice and no one bought a first year model...what would happen ?

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
So many possibilities!

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu