• Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays to all riders and readers! Thank you for being a part of the online community and big thanks to @Graves for his effort on this forum. -africatwin.org team

Round the world

AmericaNS

Oct 2, 2017
Ireland
OK. Last year, from June to December 2017, I rode an AT dct from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia (25000 miles, 40,000 km). It was ok but not wonderful. The AT was too heavy. Pulling it up from falls in mud, gravel, sand etc. I wouldn’t do it again - even though I had the most amazing life changing journey otherwise!!).

So - can the CRF 450l do this trip? Weight wise I think yes, but what about oil and filter changes and luggage capacity (I don’t need much - maybe 15kg). Comfort-wise, i can endure anything. Is the 450L a round the world bike?

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
In all honesty I believe that a lighter bike would be more physically taxing over that distance than picking up an AT from time to time. Just my opinion. No disrespect meant: Maybe some working out to build core strength before another trip would be more beneficial.

OK. Last year, from June to December 2017, I rode an AT dct from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia (25000 miles, 40,000 km). It was ok but not wonderful. The AT was too heavy. Pulling it up from falls in mud, gravel, sand etc. I wouldn’t do it again - even though I had the most amazing life changing journey otherwise!!).

So - can the CRF 450l do this trip? Weight wise I think yes, but what about oil and filter changes and luggage capacity (I don’t need much - maybe 15kg). Comfort-wise, i can endure anything. Is the 450L a round the world bike?

AmericaNS

Oct 2, 2017
Ireland
Thanks Graves. No disrespect taken! I think I have no problem with fitness or core strength. My question really is about where is the tipping point between power and comfort (tarmac attributes for me) and off road ability. If I was to do that journey again I would look for more old road orientation. I was wondering if anyone had a view on the long distance capability of the 450L...

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
My experience has been that lighter bikes wear on me more than heavier ones. I don't have any problem riding the AT like a dirt bike, even loaded with gear, the real trick is having the proper springs under you and good tires with plenty of lateral traction, so far I've only found the Kenda Big Blocks up to the task.

Thanks Graves. No disrespect taken! I think I have no problem with fitness or core strength. My question really is about where is the tipping point between power and comfort (tarmac attributes for me) and off road ability. If I was to do that journey again I would look for more old road orientation. I was wondering if anyone had a view on the long distance capability of the 450L...

Good on you for taking that journey. That's in my book of things to do.
I think the CRF450L would be okay if you took it in small chunks on a tour. Get off, take a day off, do maintenance when necessary. I don't really think it's a tourer.
I'm headed across Canada again next summer and I toyed with the idea of taking my CRF250L - cheaper, smaller and lighter, reliable... but on longer days I think distances would get the better of me. The Africa Twin just ate up the 'commuting' days from here to Alaska during the summer and on the way home last year across Manitoba and Saskatchewan (long open prairies). If I had no issue with time or deadlines I'd definitely take a smaller bike.

OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold
Aug 16, 2017
Nor-Cal
motorcycleadventuregear.com
I've taken my KTM 525 and a KTM 530 on plenty of 1000 mile plus adventures which is why I bought my AT and eventually sold my KTM. I was fully planning on buying the 450L until realizing I just wouldn't be happy with it after being used to the performance of the simular KTMs.
To more directly answer your question... I think I enjoy longer adventure riding my AT more because of its stability and comfort. It's amazing how much smaller bikes just wear you out. The big bike mostly keeps me off of super tight goat trails (key word mostly) and it sucks when I drop it, but there is not long distance comparison. I've done numerous 200-600 mile days mostly in the dirt on the AT and go to bed ready to take on the next day. When I do a 200-400 mile day on the KTM I would go to bed dreading waking up.
I hope that helps.

OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold
Aug 16, 2017
Nor-Cal
motorcycleadventuregear.com

Sorry just read your very first post again. Your concerns with oil, filter and luggage are exactly what would keep me from riding any bike in that class more than a one nighter. I think Yamaha and KTM are onto something with the 700 size adventure bikes. I LOVE my AT, but the suspension could be a little better and it could be more pick upable. I have a terrible back and neck so every time I have to solo pick up my bike it's a pretty serious situation. I would sell my AT and buy a 700 DCT AT if tomorrow if one was available.

I think a 450/500 true dual sport (not the dirt bike 450l with lots of maintenance) would tick a lot of boxes for adventure riding - enough power for highway and offroad, easier to ride/tour distances, less maintenance, etc. I think there is a reason why people are still getting DL650, XR650 and Teneres in Europe - they are a good compromise.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu