• Wishing everyone a happy new year! May 2019 bring you tons of happiness and riding time.

Smaller Honda Africa Twin in the Works

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
That would be incredible. Imagine a light weight 750cc Africa Twin... We know KTM is working on a 750cc variant and everyone knows dang well it's going to be a hot seller.

Honda would also be printing money if a 750cc happened.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
If it has the same amount of grunt and performance as the current Africa Twin, then maybe I'll have a look. I have a 2016 manual shift and just love it. I'm short, with a 31 inch inseam, so I bought Honda's lowered seat and I use it in the lower of the two positions. Works fine for me. I will say one thing, it is a tall bike and it likes to sail in the winds. All in all, I very happy with my AT. Looking forward to the upcoming riding season in a couple of weeks, or I hope....Best...SHUMBA

flyfisher

Dec 31, 2018
Florida Panhandle
I just bought a very lightly used 2017 AT with a lot of good farkles. I have a G650 GS that I like...in fact I rode a Sertao on a 5000 mile round trip to the Arctic Circle last summer. I wanted a twin though, and really wanted something like a 750cc or so twin. And I wanted something lighter. I sat the KTMs and they were just way too tall and felt heavy...and they are really. The AT I got with DCT is not a light bike either, but it just feels lighter and more nimble. I had plenty of power on the Sertao all loaded up with Jesse panniers and a couple big bags up top...so I could not get all the hype about 160hp. I hope this AT does the trick for me, and I still am thinking about taking an old Triumph 650 twin and building a bike around it...

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
The Africa twin will definitely "do the trick for me " (you). It's got plenty of power and totally reliable. Two things to keep in mind. Take a large can of spray chain lube. And take a spare tube(s) along with tools necessary to change a tire . Enjoy your new ride.
Best...SHUMBA

flyfisher

Dec 31, 2018
Florida Panhandle
In reviewing the owners manual on this AT, I noticed several times it recommends taking the bike to a dealer for service, stating "special tools" are needed. I have several chests of tools, and I restore old British motorcycles as a hobby. What "special tools" are needed (if any) for the Africa Twin?

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Well, for starters, This is a Japanese motorcycle and obviously requires metric tools. I had my local Honda do all of my services, so I can't say what's required. It would depend on what you are planning do.
Hopefully someone who does their own maintenance will chime in and give you information.
Cheers SHUMBA

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Nothing that you can’t work around with some common sense, and if you do need something special you can just order online. Isn’t the internet wonderful?

In reviewing the owners manual on this AT, I noticed several times it recommends taking the bike to a dealer for service, stating "special tools" are needed. I have several chests of tools, and I restore old British motorcycles as a hobby. What "special tools" are needed (if any) for the Africa Twin?

flyfisher

Dec 31, 2018
Florida Panhandle
Okay, I do not really consider metric tools to be special, I have drawers of them. I also have a bunch of Whitworth tools for the old British bikes. I have rebuilt everything on a motorcycle from forks to brakes to engines, and run wiring harnesses. I just wondered if there were some odd, weird, one-off, one function type tools they are referring to that are not in a good mechanics tool boxes?

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Okay, I do not really consider metric tools to be special, I have drawers of them. I also have a bunch of Whitworth tools for the old British bikes. I have rebuilt everything on a motorcycle from forks to brakes to engines, and run wiring harnesses. I just wondered if there were some odd, weird, one-off, one function type tools they are referring to that are not in a good mechanics tool boxes?
Ah, good ole whitworth.
We use to use these before my time.
SAE and metric have taken over.
I'm sure what with your knowledge and skillsets you should have no problem with the Africa twin. After all its just another motorcycle.
Best to U.
..SHUMBA

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu