• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2021!

Sprocket and chain replace .

FlyingManx

Oct 23, 2018
Colorado
Replacing chain and sprockets noticed the output shaft has some wear on it. I'm at 18k, anyone else seeing this? New front sprocket fits pretty tight just has a very small amount of play to it. Thanks!!

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Replacing chain and sprockets noticed the output shaft has some wear on it. I'm at 18k, anyone else seeing this? New front sprocket fits pretty tight just has a very small amount of play to it. Thanks!!
Fairly normal really, the counter-sprocket is harder than the hubs of hell, the countershaft not so much.

psdonald

Mar 15, 2017
US
What chain and sprockets did you go with? Need to replace my chain and sprockets on a 2016 with 22K miles.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
What chain and sprockets did you go with? Need to replace my chain and sprockets on a 2016 with 22K miles.
Sun Star steel sprockets and the high dollar all gold DID chain. This will cost you more than others but you will probably never have to change it again. Don’t over-tighten your chain, I’ve written a procedure here on how to find the proper slack, don’t trust the Honda spec. If adjusted properly you should only have to readjust the chain once it beds in (initial ”stretch”), after that you shouldn’t have to touch it again.

Cliffup2

Jan 7, 2020
Kansas
Sun Star steel sprockets and the high dollar all gold DID chain. This will cost you more than others but you will probably never have to change it again. Don’t over-tighten your chain, I’ve written a procedure here on how to find the proper slack, don’t trust the Honda spec. If adjusted properly you should only have to readjust the chain once it beds in (initial ”stretch”), after that you shouldn’t have to touch it again.
please send info on chain adjust. Cliff.

psdonald

Mar 15, 2017
US
Thanks for the info. Just finished up my chain and sprocket replacements and chain tension. Found a good deal on the DID Gold on amazon, could not find a rear OEM or Aftermarket anywhere other than an OEM at Rocky Mtn ATV so ordered OEM Rear and front sprockets from them. While I was at it I decided to replace the rubber hub cushions as well. They were not bad but the new ones are definitely tighter. Hopefully, I am good for another 20K+ plus miles.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu