Suggestions for a Timid Rider?

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I am a fairly timid rider and this was a large contributing factor to me breaking my right ankle in South Dakota. Any ideas or techniques for riding with more confidence?

Thanks

Brian

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I am a fairly timid rider and this was a large contributing factor to me breaking my right ankle in South Dakota. Any ideas or techniques for riding with more confidence?

Thanks

Brian

Get a dirt bike and get after it. I’ve been the victim of timid riding lately. Bought a CRF450X with a Recluse clutch and have found myself letting off the gas over obstacles instead of grabbing a hand full of throttle like I should. Generally, if you have enough momentum, if you can get the front over it the rear will follow. The Recluse clutch has given me an out when faced with an obstacle, and despite a lifetime of riding over some of the gnarliest terrain I’ve found myself going full *****. This is significantly more difficult on a 500 pound bike that will cost you big if you drop it. Stuff I’ve gone over multiple times on the AT I had trouble on the 450. Last Sunday I found my momentum again on the 450 and started to figure out where the Recluse comes into play. Sometimes you just have to throw yourself at something and hope for the best. The saying “When in doubt, GAS IT!“ is very true.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Thanks! Been thinking about adding a dirt bike or small dual sport to the garage, guess I just need to do it!

I am also going to continue taking more technical training on my AT because I really want to do the upcoming Wyoming BDR in 2022. :)

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
All good!
First up ...make sure you are wearing the appropriate riding gear, boots pants jacket gloves...lotsa armor.
Next, enroll in an off road riding course or link up with riders who have experience and are able to provide you with some guidance and riding tips.
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Thanks! Been thinking about adding a dirt bike or small dual sport to the garage, guess I just need to do it!

I am also going to continue taking more technical training on my AT because I really want to do the upcoming Wyoming BDR in 2022. :)

The XR400 is probably one of the most capable and underrated motorcycles of all time, you should be able find one for $3K or so.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Still shopping boots, down either a pair of Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro' s with Drystar or the Rev'it! Expedition H2O's

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu