• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2021!

Talk me out of buying a BMW GSA instead of an Africa Twin...

HondaInTheSun

Apr 4, 2021
California
I’m about to buy a new to me bike and I’m down to the 2 finalists...

A 2009 GSA with 35k miles, and a 2016 Africa Twin ( non-DCT ) with 21k miles. The bikes are the same price - $8k USD. Both have full service histories and are immaculate.

I’ve always admired the GSAs from afar, but I’m tempted by the Africa Twin as it’s so much newer.

The bike will be used daily for commuting, then longer rides with some fire roads on the weekend. Being honest, it will likely be “off road” about 5% of the time.

Any advice would be very welcome, especially if anyone has had both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Hi @HondaInTheSun,

Can't talk you out of it but can give you my perspective on the Africa Twin. First off, the GSA is a beautiful machine. A bit more expensive on the maintenance compared to the Africa Twin but a legendary and proven motorcycle nonetheless. I have a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports in manual transmission and love it. Asides from a fuel filter recall from Honda, there have not been any issues with it. It has about 10,000 miles on the clock. Although there are somethings I wish it had like cruise control, adjustable windscreen and a better seat for those longer rides but those can be added with after market products.

When I was shopping for a bike, it needed to fit my riding style and what I needed it for. I had to be able to lane split, travel off road and commute 60 miles one way to work while being reliable low maintenance cost. The Africa Twin checked all of those boxes and what made me decide to favor the Africa Twin is the lower weight and the 21 inch front tire which is incredible off road and tackling pot holes... haha.

I can give you more info and hope this has been helpful. You can't go wrong with either and why not just get both? haha.

Reactions: HondaInTheSun

ATmartin

Feb 21, 2018
Bavaria Germany

A 2009 GSA with 35k miles, and a 2016 Africa Twin ( non-DCT ) with 21k miles. The bikes are the same price - $8k USD. Both have full service histories and are immaculate.

I’ve always admired the GSAs from afar, but I’m tempted by the Africa Twin as it’s so much newer.

The bike will be used daily for commuting, then longer rides with some fire roads on the weekend. Being honest, it will likely be “off road” about 5% of the time.

Hi @HondaInTheSun
Just go and ride them both and decide after a test ride.
P.S. sometimes it’s also good for a man to listen to his heart

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

HondaInTheSun

Apr 4, 2021
California
Can anyone give opinions on this Africa Twin that I’m hoping to go look at this week?

Thanks in advance!

Nacademus

Jul 23, 2020
Ohio
I bought my 2017 AT Manual brand new last summer (2020) for less than that AT. Had no miles on it. There were a lot of leftover stock released from Honda warehouses to be distributed as new bikes during the pandemic slowdowns.

Now, that didn't include any farkles-which I'm always adding because I'm afflicted. BUT, I got to choose each one and install them myself. I meticulously maintain my machinery and it's always nice to be the sole owner doing so.

There are issues that rear their heads on the 16/17 and some later years. Fork seals leaking due to the anodizing coming off and perhaps a poorly specced seal size. The coughing that happens under certain throttle levels and engine loads.

You should consider new.

ATmartin

Feb 21, 2018
Bavaria Germany
Can anyone give opinions on this Africa Twin that I’m hoping to go look at this week?

Thanks in advance!

Look for another

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

royswwifft

Feb 12, 2019
CA
Africa twin less expensive to maintain (parts and service costs), more reliable (hence less of the previous two thingies!) and all round more fun as I have ridden both.

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

HondaInTheSun

Apr 4, 2021
California
Huge ( and potentially unpopular ) plot twist...

I ended up going with a 2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure. Same price range, same mileage, just overall an amazing bike.

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice and opinions, they were really helpful in getting me to the bike that truly sang to me.

RickSkye

Jun 25, 2020
GB
Ok, totally subjective opinion

Gs amazing bike, corrodes like f, I loved it, but it did not make me grin
Honda africa twin, love it too, can still carry luggage and is bought back the grin, don't miss cruise control.

I am glad I owned a gs, but I will not buy another one.

Honda does it for me.

So its head or heart, why do you ride, I ride with heart, so africa twin.

IMHO before I get flamed.

Nacademus

Jul 23, 2020
Ohio
No flame. I appreciate your perspective and understand exactly what you mean. Some bikes just feel soulless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DuncanMcG

Jul 19, 2020
Texas

I rode a 2009 BMW 1200 GSA for almost 2 years. It had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it. I liked it quite a lot. Last summer after 18 months I fell onto a good deal for a 2017 Africa Twin brand new, right out of the crate. I did the deal. While I liked the GSA a lot, I love the AT.

I think BMW builds great bikes but I do not think they are better than Honda. Also, my local Honda dealer has an incredible parts and service department, installing new tires in less than an hour, while I wait. My BMW was in the shop for 3 days to get new tires.

Of course, picking a motorcycle is like picking underwear, you have to pick the style and size that fits.

Reactions: SHUMBA

Nacademus

Jul 23, 2020
Ohio
I rode a 2009 BMW 1200 GSA for almost 2 years. It had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it. I liked it quite a lot. Last summer after 18 months I fell onto a good deal for a 2017 Africa Twin brand new, right out of the crate. I did the deal. While I liked the GSA a lot, I love the AT.

I think BMW builds great bikes but I do not think they are better than Honda. Also, my local Honda dealer has an incredible parts and service department, installing new tires in less than an hour, while I wait. My BMW was in the shop for 3 days to get new tires.

Of course, picking a motorcycle is like picking underwear, you have to pick the style and size that fits.
I just bought a new, crated 2017 AT at the end of last summer too. Lol.

Reactions: DuncanMcG

DuncanMcG

Jul 19, 2020
Texas
I just bought a new, crated 2017 AT at the end of last summer too. Lol.

The dealer where I bought mine told me that Honda over produces and then has warehouses full of bikes and you can almost always find a new bike that's a couple of model years old. I'm now working toward a Goldwing

Reactions: Nacademus

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Africa twin less expensive to maintain (parts and service costs), more reliable (hence less of the previous two thingies!) and all round more fun as I have ridden both.

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Agree, I'm on my second Africa Twin, 2016 clutch, 2020 DCT
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu