Tire Wear Report

DuncanMcG

Jul 19, 2020
Texas
I find that my tires almost always wear out before I notice that they are wearing out. So I decided that I would start a little experiment and periodically measure my tread depth and report it here. Maybe it will be helpful to others when they are considering what tires to buy for themselves.

I bought my '17 AT brand new in July 2020. The OEM rear (Continental I think) was worn through to the steel belt in 5500 miles (October). The OEM front tire was done in about 9200 miles.

In October I replaced it with Michelin Anakee Adventure in October and after 3800 miles my tread depth is down 1mm.
I just replaced the front tire with an Anakee Adventure last week. I will report on that one too, as I go.

If I get 3800 per MM of tread depth that will be amazing, compared to what I have experienced over the last few years with my BMW GSA and my AT. We'll see.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I find that my tires almost always wear out before I notice that they are wearing out. So I decided that I would start a little experiment and periodically measure my tread depth and report it here. Maybe it will be helpful to others when they are considering what tires to buy for themselves.

I bought my '17 AT brand new in July 2020. The OEM rear (Continental I think) was worn through to the steel belt in 5500 miles (October). The OEM front tire was done in about 9200 miles.

In October I replaced it with Michelin Anakee Adventure in October and after 3800 miles my tread depth is down 1mm.
I just replaced the front tire with an Anakee Adventure last week. I will report on that one too, as I go.

If I get 3800 per MM of tread depth that will be amazing, compared to what I have experienced over the last few years with my BMW GSA and my AT. We'll see.
For sure, please let us know.
I have a 2020 Africa Twin DCT model and I am running the tyres that came with it. Metzler Karoo I believe. They’re better than the previous stock tyres Dunlop something that Honda had put on in earlier model years...better, I mean a little more off-road capability, but no way are they a dedicated trail tyre.
These Metzler tyres are just perfect for my use....mostly highway, paved county roads and lotsa gravel.
I hope to get around 15-18,000 kilometers or roughly 10,000 miles out of them...we'll see.
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Relichunter59

Twiglet

Nov 30, 2020
UK
I'm still running the original Dunlop tyres (which I do not like much). They have done just under 4,000 miles but they look to be cracking so Ive just purchased a set of the Avon Trialrider's after reading some great reviews. Not really an off-road rider due to limited trails in the UK and my general lack of confidence.
Looking forward to some nice new sticky tires.
Not looking for 10 of 1000's of miles from the tyres. It's a motorbike with 2 small contact points of rubber. Got to make the rubber nice and soft.

Reactions: SHUMBA

DuncanMcG

Jul 19, 2020
Texas
Today I replaced the Anakee Adventure that I mentioned in the previous post. I got 7266 miles out of it. I probably could have gotten another 200 miles before the steel belts started to show (my normal indication that I need a tire). They were pretty bald in the center with less than 1 mm of tread depth.

I think that's the longest lasting tire I've ever had on the rear. I think when I need to replace both tires next time I will try the Michelin Anakee III, it's a little more road oriented than the Adventure but they (michelin) says it's designed to last a long time.

If I get 3800 per MM of tread depth that will be amazing, compared to what I have experienced over the last few years with my BMW GSA and my AT. We'll

Reactions: superfunkomatic

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
I love my Anakee Adventures, that is after I got the front one replace for de-laminating belts on the inside. about 9,000 miles on the rear, but I am anal about my tire pressure and I use the whole tire pretty routinely (chicken strips disappear early).

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I just had the tyres changed on my 2020 Africa Twin DCT non adventure model...these were Metzler Karoo tyres.
I managed to squeeze 15,000 kms out of the rear tyre and 18,000 kms on the front tyre...reason for the difference is I had a rear flet tyre @ 2,700 kms and replaced it with a new Metzler Karoo.
The front tyre wasn't too worn, but I just wanted to keep the tyres matched.
I purchased a new set of Avon trail riders AV 53 and a rear AV 54.
These are from a KTM790. The guy who bought it wanted more aggressive tyres from the get-go...so he had the tyres removed at time of purchase.
These tyres are tubless, and my Africa Twin are tube types...just used the tubes...
Great, so far...the Avons love gravel.
SHUMBA

Relichunter59

Jul 31, 2021
Ozark Alabama
I'm coming up on 3200 miles on my 21 AT manual, and the Metzler Karoo on the rear, may have another 1500 left on it. It seems to be a fair street tire, but not to good offroad. I like the way the Karoo holds the pavement in curves, and I'm afraid it I go to a more offroad type tread, I am going to lose confidence in the tires road holding capabilities. Most of my driving is on asphalt and dont know if a more offroad tire is for me, but I sure would love to see what it's like with some knobby tires.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Nah, just stick with the 90/10 or 80/20 tyres...knobbies will wear very quickly on paved roads.
Have a look at the Avon tyres.
The OEM Metzlers were OK, but there are better options.
SHUMBA

Reactions: Relichunter59

neanderthal

Oct 17, 2015
In your delusions...
Been happy with the OE tires on all three of my ATs (long story) and especially happy with the Bridgestones that came on my 2018. Been avergaing about 15000 miles a set.
The Bridgestones are far superior to the Dunlops throughout the life of the tire. And especially when they are older. And most especially when they are older and it's raining.
Haven't ridden on any of the newer OE options yet.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu