• Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays to all riders and readers! Thank you for being a part of the online community and big thanks to @Graves for his effort on this forum. -africatwin.org team

TKC80 high speed oscillation

Nov 6, 2017
Omaha, NE
I just installed a TKC80 front replacing a Heidenau K60 front. I went from a front that was really good on the tarmac, a bit of road noise, to now with the TKC80 having a very unnerving high speed oscillation occurring above 70 mph. And yes, where I'm at the freeway speed to keep up with traffic is 70 plus a lot. A reason I got the AT. I've rechecked mounting and alignment. I've changed tire pressure from between 28 and 35 (what a friend runs on his 950 with TKC80 front) It was installed at a dealer with machine balancing. So I doubt that is the issue. The fellow rider I mention above has the TKC80 on his KTM 950 and has never seen the issue on his bike. I see that in the other thread that maybe this has happened for some with other tires.

Anyone specifically had this issue with the TKC80? Solutions?

belrix

africatwin.org gold
Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I haven't ran the TKC-80 on my AT but ran it on the front of my NC700X and other than being loud it handled speed fine.

Couple of things I did is run a lower pressure even on the highway, 24-26 psi and I also used balance beads in the tire.

Just my 2 cents

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Maybe it’s the monkey, not the banana.

When I put the Kenda Big Blocks on mine the front was all over the place on grooved pavement, I just attributed it to tread pattern and tall knobs. Since then I’ve found that the nervousness in the front went away when I rode one handed. Apparently wind blast on my shoulders was being translated through the bars causing the problem. I’m guessing that the tall knobs on such tires are less planted when upright causing a greater sensitivity on steering input that may upset the stability.

I just installed a TKC80 front replacing a Heidenau K60 front. I went from a front that was really good on the tarmac, a bit of road noise, to now with the TKC80 having a very unnerving high speed oscillation occurring above 70 mph. And yes, where I'm at the freeway speed to keep up with traffic is 70 plus a lot. A reason I got the AT. I've rechecked mounting and alignment. I've changed tire pressure from between 28 and 35 (what a friend runs on his 950 with TKC80 front) It was installed at a dealer with machine balancing. So I doubt that is the issue. The fellow rider I mention above has the TKC80 on his KTM 950 and has never seen the issue on his bike. I see that in the other thread that maybe this has happened for some with other tires.

Anyone specifically had this issue with the TKC80? Solutions?

Nov 6, 2017
Omaha, NE
Graves; this certainly may be the case, but unfortunately is not a solution. As I'm doing 70 t0 80, running with the flow of traffic on the 405 or 91 in SoCal, one hand on the bars is not acceptable. Just sayin' :)

Plus, I have tried just putting my very finger tips on the grips and the bike would still do this oscillation or I think better describes it, a weave. It becomes difficult at 80 or so to even maintain my lane. I've also been on various different pavements, trying to ascertain the problem, and the type of pavement, grooved or not, doesn't seem to matter the weave is there. It's just not acceptable for my own safety at this speed (my personal preference for sure). So either I need to find a solution, slow down, or eat dollars and try a different tire.

Again, sorry Graves, I'm not trying to be one of the "bitch about everything types". But, in 30 years of bikes I have not had such a love/hate relationship with a bike like this AT. It seems I find one solution, then find another problem LOL.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
If it's the tire, then it's the tire, they do screw it up once in a while. I've had tires that I've ridden once then given away, I always figured it was the cheapest alternative to crashing. It's surprising that it's the TKC, they're supposed to be the standard.

Hey, when are we going for a ride?

Graves; this certainly may be the case, but unfortunately is not a solution. As I'm doing 70 t0 80, running with the flow of traffic on the 405 or 91 in SoCal, one hand on the bars is not acceptable. Just sayin' :)

Plus, I have tried just putting my very finger tips on the grips and the bike would still do this oscillation or I think better describes it, a weave. It becomes difficult at 80 or so to even maintain my lane. I've also been on various different pavements, trying to ascertain the problem, and the type of pavement, grooved or not, doesn't seem to matter the weave is there. It's just not acceptable for my own safety at this speed (my personal preference for sure). So either I need to find a solution, slow down, or eat dollars and try a different tire.

Again, sorry Graves, I'm not trying to be one of the "bitch about everything types". But, in 30 years of bikes I have not had such a love/hate relationship with a bike like this AT. It seems I find one solution, then find another problem LOL.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Hey, just a thought: What's the production date on that tire?

If it's the tire, then it's the tire, they do screw it up once in a while. I've had tires that I've ridden once then given away, I always figured it was the cheapest alternative to crashing. It's surprising that it's the TKC, they're supposed to be the standard.

Hey, when are we going for a ride?

Nov 6, 2017
Omaha, NE
Yeah, we have to get together sometime. My schedule is crazy as I travel for work. And, thanks to the internet I find myself dating a wonderful lady here in SoCal, hence having a bike out here, but I have kids back in the Cornhusker state and an ailing father there. Who just crashed in his living room and shattered a hip. Going to be spending a big chunk of March there looking after him. So don't think I'm ignoring going for a ride. Just a crazy life.

Anywhoo, I need to look at the tire more closely for sure. I've received several suggestions to try and will be seeing if I can find the solution (when I actually get time to get back on the bike). Because I did like the traction off-road. You have a good point though it might end up being plan B, a different tire.

Nov 6, 2017
Omaha, NE
Graves, you mention the wind on the shoulders. Being the finicky old fart I am these days; I had a Supermotarded XR650R that I road raced and back road riding, Aprilia Tuono that I toured with, did track days, and general crazy things with, but now I'm just not down with wind blasting me in the chest and head. Call it growing up or whatever :), but I've tried several different windscreen setups and the last thing remaining is that hit on the arms/shoulders thing. I find it interesting that Honda offers the faring side deflectors for the new AT Sport (saw them on the bike at the Long Beach show), but it's been reported they won't work on the older AT. I sure would like a set though!

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I haven’t run the TKC-80 specifically on the AT, but have run them on several other bikes including a Tiger 800XC, KTM 1190, KTM 450 EXC. I haven’t had any oscillating or weaving issues with any of those bikes, even at speeds north of 100. But every bike is different, so I can’t say for certain how they behave on the AT.

The OEM MT21 on the KTM 690 Enduro make me a tad nervous over 70mph, but the TCK 80’s have so far felt planted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2017
Omaha, NE
I haven’t run the TKC-80 specifically on the AT, but have run them on several other bikes including a Tiger 800XC, KTM 1190, KTM 450 EXC. I haven’t had any oscillating or weaving issues with any of those bikes, even at speeds north of 100. But every bike is different, so I can’t say for certain how they behave on the AT.

The OEM MT21 on the KTM 690 Enduro make me a tad nervous over 70mph, but the TCK 80’s have so far felt planted

Yeah, I just haven't read of this problem with the TKC80. Some other tires I have. In fact, a fellow I rode with once that had an AT had a Mitas Tractionator Adventure front that he commented about it "wondering" side to side on the freeway. The fellow that I ride with that has a KTM 950 has the TKC80 front and he says it hasn't happened with his. I have had some suggestions from another forum to try, but haven't had a chance to ride the bike with said suggestions yet.

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Yeah, I just haven't read of this problem with the TKC80. Some other tires I have. In fact, a fellow I rode with once that had an AT had a Mitas Tractionator Adventure front that he commented about it "wondering" side to side on the freeway. The fellow that I ride with that has a KTM 950 has the TKC80 front and he says it hasn't happened with his. I have had some suggestions from another forum to try, but haven't had a chance to ride the bike with said suggestions yet.
I have seen some discussion about the TKC-80 on ADV, where people have mentioned wandering and head-shake, but I haven't experienced it myself.

Nothing conclusive there. Some people claiming they tried one and had issues, put another on and it was fine. Some folks blaming Conti QC, others saying it's unlikely a QC issue and more likely an install/balance issue or that something else changed with the bike in the meantime between changes.

Worst experience I had with a weave was a near tank slapper while passing cars on Monarch Pass. That was with TKC-70's. The slow deceleration to get out of it kinda sucks when you have cars next to you that you were trying to pass and traffic coming toward you in the lane you now occupy :). I honestly don't think it was the tire alone though, since it was a one off. Might have been inflation, poorly balanced panniers, just a perfect storm of other forces. I really don't know.

If/when you get it figured out, let us know what worked... or didn't.

Black99S

Aug 25, 2016
BC, Canada
No problem with the TKC80 front. Rock solid. Just don't run 22psi in the front on gravel forest service roads at higher speeds (80-100kmh) else the weak sidewalls will get you a tweaked rim.
Had a TKC80 rear and now a Mitas E-10 Dakar.
No head shake, no oscillation at sustained 130+ speeds with or without Wolfman bags on Touratech racks.

Check your steering head bearings. Check front axle pinch bolts are properly adjusted and forks are parallel.
Check tyre is not out of round and bead is fully seated. A spin balance is good but tyre can still not be properly mounted or OOR.

FarangMoto

Feb 12, 2017
Thailand
One thing that folks often forget when changing from a street tire or just a different tire is to play around with the front suspension. I had the same with my Mitas e07, but some tinkering with the front got rid of it. Changing from the e07 to the e10 required a little too.

Nov 6, 2017
Omaha, NE
Maybe it’s the monkey, not the banana.

When I put the Kenda Big Blocks on mine the front was all over the place on grooved pavement, I just attributed it to tread pattern and tall knobs. Since then I’ve found that the nervousness in the front went away when I rode one handed. Apparently wind blast on my shoulders was being translated through the bars causing the problem. I’m guessing that the tall knobs on such tires are less planted when upright causing a greater sensitivity on steering input that may upset the stability.
Graves; finally got to look at this situation again. Can not a find a problem with mounting, tire or other. I did several freeway rides after doing suggested suspension adjustments and nothing made a bit of difference. I had bought a throttle lock so I could ride hands free as part of this fact finding. Did expermenting in traffic and out. First, no traffic around me, accelerate to over 80+mph (this is where it is the worse) and rode on finger tips and one handed and the bike would move around at various levels. I locked the throttle, took my hands off (no lecturing people) and it would almost disappear except for uneveness in the road. Second part of experiment I found heavier traffic, road in the HOV lane where traffic was doing about 75mph or more and buffeting from the other vehicles had the bike going all over the place with my arms/hands on the bars. I did the finger tips, one handed and no hands again (very briefly). WIth no hands it was very very much reduced, but with the buffeting of the other traffic the bike would still dart about. My other rides (just 2 btw) is was windy days and the bike just seemed to be darting no matter what I did with my hands. But, I couldn't go no handed as I didn't have the lock yet.

Bottom line, I think your soft knobs and wind buffeting theory is the issue. Plus, I think, maybe, at the high speeds the front of bike is getting light and maybe this makes the instability worse. I noticed that the wind hitting my arm/shoulder was coming from around the screen and hitting the mirror and then seemed to be deflected inward. I wonder if the lip deflector I'm seeing being sold for the new model ATs is addressing this very wind blast situation. Which, I would believe, is just a comfort factor. But, with the tires the TKC80 this is being amplified in the affect it has. Also, as much as I will respect others experience that they have no problem, I have not had a bike that I have gone around and around with buffeting in various ways and forms from the front fairing and windscreen. I test road a 1200GS to 80 plus on the very same freeway I did my testing on and it was much different experience in how the wind from the faring hit me. But, the 1200GS was not the bike I wanted for the off-road riding I wanted to do. I hesitated with the AT in this regard.

Obviously I can't ride around with my hands off the bars. And even with the lightest grip I could muster and feel comfortable in my control, I still would affect the handlebar's movement when I was in the traffic buffeting and high speed. And sorry folks, to get from Long Beach to the trails I'm going to have freeway riding, OHV whenever possible and this means 80+ at times. I do not enjoy riding in the OHV lane and having cars flying up on me. I'm going to make sure I'm going the speed necessary to use the lane effectively....

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It can be frustrating, but you may get used to it, and it may subside a little with wear. If not, try another tire, in the end it’s not all that expensive to do and the cost may be worth the peace of mind. I’ve said it many times, I’ve thrown tires out after one ride because I didn’t like them.

Graves; finally got to look at this situation again. Can not a find a problem with mounting, tire or other. I did several freeway rides after doing suggested suspension adjustments and nothing made a bit of difference. I had bought a throttle lock so I could ride hands free as part of this fact finding. Did expermenting in traffic and out. First, no traffic around me, accelerate to over 80+mph (this is where it is the worse) and rode on finger tips and one handed and the bike would move around at various levels. I locked the throttle, took my hands off (no lecturing people) and it would almost disappear except for uneveness in the road. Second part of experiment I found heavier traffic, road in the HOV lane where traffic was doing about 75mph or more and buffeting from the other vehicles had the bike going all over the place with my arms/hands on the bars. I did the finger tips, one handed and no hands again (very briefly). WIth no hands it was very very much reduced, but with the buffeting of the other traffic the bike would still dart about. My other rides (just 2 btw) is was windy days and the bike just seemed to be darting no matter what I did with my hands. But, I couldn't go no handed as I didn't have the lock yet.

Bottom line, I think your soft knobs and wind buffeting theory is the issue. Plus, I think, maybe, at the high speeds the front of bike is getting light and maybe this makes the instability worse. I noticed that the wind hitting my arm/shoulder was coming from around the screen and hitting the mirror and then seemed to be deflected inward. I wonder if the lip deflector I'm seeing being sold for the new model ATs is addressing this very wind blast situation. Which, I would believe, is just a comfort factor. But, with the tires the TKC80 this is being amplified in the affect it has. Also, as much as I will respect others experience that they have no problem, I have not had a bike that I have gone around and around with buffeting in various ways and forms from the front fairing and windscreen. I test road a 1200GS to 80 plus on the very same freeway I did my testing on and it was much different experience in how the wind from the faring hit me. But, the 1200GS was not the bike I wanted for the off-road riding I wanted to do. I hesitated with the AT in this regard.

Obviously I can't ride around with my hands off the bars. And even with the lightest grip I could muster and feel comfortable in my control, I still would affect the handlebar's movement when I was in the traffic buffeting and high speed. And sorry folks, to get from Long Beach to the trails I'm going to have freeway riding, OHV whenever possible and this means 80+ at times. I do not enjoy riding in the OHV lane and having cars flying up on me. I'm going to make sure I'm going the speed necessary to use the lane effectively....

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
It can be frustrating, but you may get used to it, and it may subside a little with wear. If not, try another tire, in the end it’s not all that expensive to do and the cost may be worth the peace of mind. I’ve said it many times, I’ve thrown tires out after one ride because I didn’t like them.
Adding to this, it might also be worthwhile to contact Michelin directly. I had some issues with odd wear on a Michelin TKC-70 when they first came out. Michelin instructed me to bring it to my dealer for replacement and gave me a new front tire.

That may have only been because at the time the TKC-70 was a new tire, but it can’t hurt to contact them and see what they have to say about the issue.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Michelin makes Continental?

Adding to this, it might also be worthwhile to contact Michelin directly. I had some issues with odd wear on a Michelin TKC-70 when they first came out. Michelin instructed me to bring it to my dealer for replacement and gave me a new front tire.

That may have only been because at the time the TKC-70 was a new tire, but it can’t hurt to contact them and see what they have to say about the issue.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu