Tools Needed for Fork Oil Change?

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
My AT has 24,000 miles on it, so it is way overdue for a fork oil change. I am a complete novice when it comes to working on forks.

What tools do I need?

Should I get a fork spring compressor?

How far do I need to disassemble the forks to change the oil?

I have the maintenance manual and have read through it, but I don't believe I need to completely disassemble the forks.

Help!

:)

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
To do it “right” you would completely disassemble the fork, clean all parts and reassemble with new bushings, seals and oil. Or you can do it like I do and just dump out the old oil, use fresh clean oil to flush the dampers, then reassemble with new oil. If you have the stock springs, you can remove the caps by hand. If you have fat boy springs like I do a spring compressor would save you from having to use all the bad words in surprising and shocking combinations. You don’t have to remove the springs, but it makes pumping the dampers for flushing and bleeding a lot easier.

My AT has 24,000 miles on it, so it is way overdue for a fork oil change. I am a complete novice when it comes to working on forks.

What tools do I need?

Should I get a fork spring compressor?

How far do I need to disassemble the forks to change the oil?

I have the maintenance manual and have read through it, but I don't believe I need to completely disassemble the forks.

Help!

:)

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I found a video that details getting about 90% of the oil out of the forks by just unscrewing the fork cap and leaving everything else connected. Looks good enough for me!

Will I need to back out the preload, compression and rebound adjusters or can I leave them alone since I'm not disassembling the forks?

Thanks

Brian

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

egary1974

Sep 5, 2017
Arkansas
Take out the cartridges and pump them then when you think you have most of it out use brake cleaner to get them really clean.

You will want to change the fork seals at this time. The AT forks have a lot of slip between the uppers and lowers for a modern motorcycle that can stress the seal At 24,000 seal is probably hanging by a thread. I can post a shopping list I made with part numbers when I did mine. I used a Kawasaki -Showa seal because it has two compression spring rings vs. Honda’s Showa seal having 1. Perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Hmm, I know I should have the forks serviced but feeling cheap and don't want to buy the required tools.

I will take with the local Honda dealer and see what they will charge

Thanks!

egary1974

Sep 5, 2017
Arkansas
Hmm, I know I should have the forks serviced but feeling cheap and don't want to buy the required tools.

I will take with the local Honda dealer and see what they will charge

Thanks!

If you change your mind let me know and I’ll dig it up.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Talked with my local Honda dealer about replacing seals and bushings in my AT's fork, the price wasn't too bad but the mechanic talked me into doing the work myself. :). He is booked solid with quad and SxS service tickets.

Here is the parts list:

SEAL SET, FR. FORK
51490-MJP-G51 x2

BUSH, GUIDE
51414-MFR-671 x2

BUSH, SLIDER
51415-MFR-671 x2

Sticking with Honda from my local dealer.

Actually kind of excited to get started but will wait until it is time to change the tires.

Brian

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
In the end you’ll find that there’s not a whole lot of magic in there, and that fork servicing is quite easy. Just pay real close attention and think it through. Lots of good YouTube’s out there.

Talked with my local Honda dealer about replacing seals and bushings in my AT's fork, the price wasn't too bad but the mechanic talked me into doing the work myself. :). He is booked solid with quad and SxS service tickets.

Here is the parts list:

SEAL SET, FR. FORK
51490-MJP-G51 x2

BUSH, GUIDE
51414-MFR-671 x2

BUSH, SLIDER
51415-MFR-671 x2

Sticking with Honda from my local dealer.

Actually kind of excited to get started but will wait until it is time to change the tires.

Brian

superfunkomatic

I watched this video (and became a Patreon subscriber to the channel). All simple hand tools and a few specialized tools. Pretty straightforward and I'd never done them before. Switched to SKF seals which were noticeably better and haven't leaked for over 25,000 kilometres (unlike the OEM ones).

MacNobody

Oct 22, 2019
Rogers, AR
If you change your mind let me know and I’ll dig it up.

What is the tool list? I just ordered a universal spring compressor and damper holding tool.

What other tools do I need to buy?

I’m ordering new bushings and already bought some OEM seals before I knew there were better options.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
What is the tool list? I just ordered a universal spring compressor and damper holding tool.

What other tools do I need to buy?

I’m ordering new bushings and already bought some OEM seals before I knew there were better options.

I’ve spent years fiddling around with half assed home made fork bushing/seal drivers. Did the forks on my new to me CRF450X and bought a proper driver. Why oh why do we cheap out on ourselves when it comes to things like this? The fork seal driver is well worth the $30, changes a fiddley tedious operation into a 3 second affair. … And what about goggles, why to we use them until they fall apart? Are they that expensive? So expensive that we can’t buy them every six months to have clear vision? We sure do like kicking ourselves in the twins don’t we?

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu