• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

What did you do to your bike today??

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Slick.

Seeing as I had the front off the bike to do a 12VDC power socket (waiting on a cable from EB in Japan) I thought I'd install my garage door opener as I'd done on my previous bikes.

After searching for a nook to hide the circuit board I gave up, even the Vespa had more spare room than this beast. I had to find somewhere accessible as I didn't want to remove the fairing every time the battery needed changing. I ended up putting the board in a remote control case and fitting it to the space under the pillion seat and running the wire under the tank to the left side dash.

The actuator button was an IP67 rated momentary push button that I mounted in the blank next to the pop-out for the fog light switch. The battery can be changed in a matter of minutes by removing the seats, sliding the cover of the box and swapping the battery.

Now I'm just waiting for the Eastern Beaver delivery (Monday I hope) so I can get it all back together and RIDE.

Some pics to keep you all happy.

The switch all wired up.

View attachment 1509

The switch location.

View attachment 1508

The remote control part in its new home (purple arrow) and co-ax connector (yellow arrow).

View attachment 1507

Doing a battery change is a breeze.

View attachment 1506

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Good God I love that country. Been looking at Prescott real hard, two trips out to look at property, just got to wait for the right time to jump.

Today was better. Took the scenic route (about 365 miles RT) up to Sedona, AZ. Had lunch and went back home. Was a bit warm (88 am-112 pm) but I survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I installed the IMS pegs and finally gave it a wash after riding it around for two weeks after the last off road ride, no haboob needed. Does forest fire ash count?

JimInOz

Jul 28, 2018
Melbourne AU
Is your seat in the lower position I can't seem to get my that low is there a technique in doing this read manual just won't click in.

You have to get the tongue at the back of the seat in the lower slot at the front of the pillion, jiggle it around and then push on the centre and the nose of the seat, more pressure at the centre. You have to push the nose back a little and down. Get a torch and check to see where you need to get the tab.

Sometimes it'll just click in, other times it takes a few goes.

egary1974

Sep 5, 2017
Arkansas
this is brilliant. If you ride and like will you post part numbers for those springs etc. I would probably take it to the shop if it was too much work. How long did it take you?

I replaced the stock springs with Cogent .82 fork springs and a 575lb shock spring. While I was at it I changed the suspension fluids, 10W in the front and 7W in the rear. Let me start out by saying every time I fool with suspension fluids I feel like I end up wearing the stuff, the stuff is super thin and travels real well, I didn’t have any major spills, but ended up getting it everywhere. Static sag with the stock springs with no preload was 2.800” front, and 2.470” rear. Static sag with the Cogent springs with no preload is 2.050” front and 1.220” rear. I added 5 turns of preload to the front and 15 clicks to the rear, which brought the static sag to under an inch, the bike feels balanced. I have yet to ride this thing in anger, but after I get all the settings where I like them I’ll write a full report.

The forks were filthy inside. I completely disassembled the forks and cleaned the internals and replaced the oil early on, but the bike now has just under 10K miles, I was a little surprised how dirty the oil was. Probably need to change the fork oil more frequently, maybe annually.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, too much coffee I guess. You can see the difference between the progressively wound stock springs and the straight rate Cogent springs, notice the difference in wire gauge.

The Black spring is the Cogent spring.

And finally, the shock in pieces. There’s a cute little sticker warning about the hazards of the shock being pressurized, my shock had about 20psi in the bladder, looks like a faulty Shrader valve was the culprit. Also, the shock body is steel, there was a little rust inside, guess some moisture made its way in there. A little scotchbrite and all was right with the world. I finished by charging the shock with 150psi of nitrogen (bought that setup years ago when I started servicing my suspension myself).

May 6, 2018
Idaho
You have to get the tongue at the back of the seat in the lower slot at the front of the pillion, jiggle it around and then push on the centre and the nose of the seat, more pressure at the centre. You have to push the nose back a little and down. Get a torch and check to see where you need to get the tab.

Sometimes it'll just click in, other times it takes a few goes.
Agreed, it takes me two to three tries to get it to snap in.

May 6, 2018
Idaho
I have a bunch of things so far. First off was to fabricate new foot pegs, wired in my duel port USB, fabricated the rear trunk plate to mount to the bike, installed a center stand....springs were a pain!! fabricated an extension on exhaust side of skid plate. installed tour tech upper and lower crash bars. installed pannier racks. installed Garmin GPS mount to the lower end of the wind screen, fabricated mounts from pannier racks to hold tool tube( it holds every tool to fit this bike, even tire tools) So thats about it in the four short months I've had this bike.

belrix

africatwin.org gold
Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I was taking the front left fairing off my AT to reroute the power wire to my GPS and I managed to snapoff the front two pegs! I was in a hurry and most likely rushed the removal.

Lesson learned, slow down!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I don’t know if there were part numbers or not. Call Cogent and ask for the AT springs, they had one that they calculated to be on target for the rear, and two for the front, I went with the heavier fronts. If you want to ride your AT hard off road, you’ll love them, but it is a little stiff for on road which I don’t mind.

this is brilliant. If you ride and like will you post part numbers for those springs etc. I would probably take it to the shop if it was too much work. How long did it take you?

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
That blows. Not to worry, a replacement only costs a couple hundred bucks. COME ON HONDA, ITS A PIECE OF PLASTIC.

I was taking the front left fairing off my AT to reroute the power wire to my GPS and I managed to snapoff the front two pegs! I was in a hurry and most likely rushed the removal.

Lesson learned, slow down!

belrix

africatwin.org gold
Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Yup, Mother Honda love Her plastic!

So far the fairing is staying in-place so immediate replacement is not required.
That blows. Not to worry, a replacement only costs a couple hundred bucks. COME ON HONDA, ITS A PIECE OF PLASTIC.

kristofh

africatwin.org gold
Feb 8, 2016
Belgium
Is your seat in the lower position I can't seem to get my that low is there a technique in doing this read manual just won't click in.
Yes, the seat is in the lowest positon.
You first have the rear put in the lowest position (you can see it under the passenger seat).
Then you have to 'click' it in the front; you have 2 knobs: it's the highest one for the lowest position.

I have to bend the top a little bit to make it click nicely.
If you like i can take some pics ;).
once you know it, it goes as nothing.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu