What did you do to your bike today??

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
LOL.

I didn't do a darn thing to it today. Even in my heated shop it's just too darn cold. Current temp here is now -6º F.....HOLY CRAP! Walk outside and your testes jump up into your abdomen. It's a wee bit chilly.

Mitch

Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
Just bought one of these..........

for my bedroom.....LOL

Seriously. Bought it for my shop.

Reactions: belrix

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Sunny and 74, sorry. The down side is that it’s CA.

Reactions: bushpig

Mitch

Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
I am blessed with a lovely, well-insulated home that is heated with natural gas. Gas bills on a 12 month average are $85/mo.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
So @Admin says they are giving away stickers for some mods listed here....

So apart from bling, here are some home-made mods

I like to ride in shorts, but every time I stick my leg out i burn myself on the DCT clutch cover. So I added a little allu guard and the problem is solved
WP_20170225_009.jpg

And I find the range on the bike is too limiting. Even adding the Rotopax did not give me sufficient range for our outback backyard riding. I tried fuel bladders but positively don't like them. Tired of waiting for Safari, and the Camel tank is great but not large enough to make a difference. So I opted for making my own. A cardboard knockup, some measurements and CNC conversion, a little private time on the plasma over lunch, then some help from work mates to tig it all together. 10 litre capacity
WP_20170520_003.jpg
WP_20171208_07_41_53_Pro.jpg

And whilst I was at the plasma, I also added a 'over the backseat allu plate'
WP_20170520_004.jpg

Merlin44

Oct 8, 2017
TEXAS
DIdn't do it today, but added the Camel ADV right peg brace, Motoz Tractionator tires, and a Perfect Squeeze phone mount. Will probably brace the fairing support soon, too. Stole the IMS pegs off of the XR400. Added Tusk pannier racks, with Nelson Rigg bags. Does that count? Have not "made" anything for it yet, all bolt on, so far.

Reactions: Mitch

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Well, your gas is higher, but I’ll bet your water isn’t. It costs me $250 a month in the summer just to barely keep my grass green-ish. You’ve got to love CA, some of the highest taxes in the nation with insufficient infrastructure to support the population. I wonder where our tax dollars go? http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...come-felons-illegal-immigrants-and-ms-13.html

I am blessed with a lovely, well-insulated home that is heated with natural gas. Gas bills on a 12 month average are $85/mo.

Moparren

Apr 2, 2016
Arizona
davidsreynolds.weebly.com
I wasn't too keen on the bottoms of the radiators hanging out with no protection so a bit of scrap angle iron and some old BBQ grills and I now have some radiator guards.
20180103_122610[1].jpg
I also added a small tail bag...
20180103_122637[1].jpg
And theses nifty little bags I found on feebay. You can also see the modded rack for some hard Givi bags that were given to me.
20180103_122631[1].jpg
lastly, I made up some fender risers after the wonderful southern Arizona clay locked up the front wheel. (also visible is the disk lock that will hopefully keep this one from being stolen)
20180103_123152[1].jpg

Last but not least, a shoutout to @Admin for the offer of free stuff! :)

Last edited:

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
another mod from just after I got the bike. 1st trip out and the mudguard got clogged with mud and ripped off.

P1030239.jpg

Had to do a lot of glueing, but also had to mod some bits to fit as they were ripped off and too damaged
WP_20160308_005 (Medium).jpg

Also made the most of modding the plates (after initial install) to lift mudguard 15mm (the maximum for bot hitting the top of the mudguard against the lower tripple clamp).

WP_20180104_11_41_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20180104_11_41_54_Pro.jpg

Reactions: kristofh

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
2nd time the mudguard clogged up (before the lift), I also broke standard handguards.
WP_20160318_011.jpg

WP_20160318_015.jpg

Got some Barkbuster guards, and modded/used the original handguards on the BB to try and maintain some of the original look
WP_20180104_11_42_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20180104_11_42_33_Pro.jpg

kristofh

Feb 8, 2016
Belgium
That's really bad luck:confused:.
Which tires do you use?
If you change the handguards by a more 'decent' one, you risk bending the handlebar if you fall again?
If the bike falls, something has to give/bend (my opinion).;)
I rather brake my handguards and ride home then bending the handlebar...but that's my opinion.
(apologies for the bad english, i'm dutch :D).
I see that you don't have crash bars, is the fairing damaged?

Kind regards,

Kristof.

Mitch

Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
That's really bad luck:confused:.
Which tires do you use?
If you change the handguards by a more 'decent' one, you risk bending the handlebar if you fall again?
I rather brake my handguards and ride home then bending the handlebar...but that's my opinion.
(apologies for the bad english, i'm dutch :D).

Kind regards,

Kristof.
I am confident your English is a LOT better than our Dutch. Well done! :)

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Which tires do you use?
At the time of the crash(s), I was running Dunlop D606 front and D908 rear. But the tyres were irrelevant as front mudguard standard has <1cm clearance in the back and the mud clogs up there, then stops the wheel. Since the 2nd incident, I raised the fender, as well as flared it around the sides with a heat gun.

Yes, there is a possibility that the handle bars could bend, but plastic hand guards probably won't stop that. The hand guards are protection for the switch gear, the levers and your hands when riding. I've had similar plastic sets before on my XR600 and they couldn't even survive the slightest drop, or would simply deform and still damage the clutch lever etc. I'm afraid the OEM guards are to keep some wind of your fingers and look good, not for practical off-road use.

The bars have a surprising amount of flex in them, and are rubber mounted. The rubber mounts (apart from vibration damping) are designed to allow the bars to move and prevent bending. Quite a few people have complained/reported about bars being misaligned and this is as a result of this flexing point in the design. My experience with the RD07 AT (which had a similar system) indicated bending of the bars are highly unlikely. In all the years of riding with the Africa Twin club, I only saw bent bars on an AT once, and that was a high-speed crash that completely wrecked the bike.

At the time, there still was no crash bars available on the market. (about two months after release). Yes there was some damage, but surprising little. Scratches on the screen, and fairings, Some clips broken and the pannier frames completed bent and warped. I know the brackets inside the fairing must have bent a bit as well, as I have some alignment problems when fitting accessories, such as the crashbars etc. But all-in-all I'd say the damage can be classed as cosmetic. I managed to repair the pannier frames at a mate's place before continuing my tour (at the time). And the 2nd incident happened at about 40-50km/h just for reference.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I guess I need to play this in order to actually get some stickers sent, so here goes...

Today was bath day. The bike was pretty much coated with a film of muck and mag chloride. Not a good look and not good for surfaces either :)

But as far as mods done so far. The first one I made was a small one and a simple one, but sometimes small and simple can make the biggest difference. I spend way to much time looking at my own shoulders in the mirrors with stock OEM setups. So I transfered the mirror extenders from my KTM 1190 Adventure over to the Africa Twin, so that I could get a good view of what was behind me rather than my own shoulders :)

They are only a couple of inches long, but they make a big difference in the view...

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu