• Wishing everyone a happy new year! May 2019 bring you tons of happiness and riding time.

What did you do to your bike today??

manuelalberto

Oct 1, 2017
London
I have finally got the givi trekker outback fitted
A couple of things with this box are...
1 The back rest is different from the first ones as the hooks are completely different to the other one (the box is the newer model which I didn’t know) so the part needed is the Givi E172 no the E158.
2 First time fitting the box to the plate it didn’t close properly so I have to force it to make the click.
3 The plate fittings have to be ordered for the Africa twin as it doesn’t fit the original brackets part number SR1144 got this from eBay and it wasn’t that bad.
All an all around £470 with the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Looked at the rear rack options and ended up putting this Hepco Becker offering on, but in a modified position. My other half has no problem sitting behind me and this way the bike cover still fits. I added some loops between the seats for extra fixing position see attached
hepco1.jpg
I found the original Hepco Becker original intended position left a big overhang ,
that put the weight further back, That's bad news if you want to ride fast through the curves
I found it like that unsettled feeling you get if your pillion is new to motor bikes.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
I like the Scorpion EXO-AT950 too as it offers a chance to Enduro configure it in summer
use goggles but yet still use it in winter as a touring helmet.
Shame it does not come in tri-colour otherwise I think Id buy one.

I'm still using a Enduro only type, but its getting a bit chilly after half an hour

belrix

africatwin.org gold
Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I might move back to my Shoei Neotech for the winter...but I get tired of people pointing out that the yellow helmet doesn't match my hi-viz gear .

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Just added Motor crash bar (lower set non DCT ) @155 € Touratech's www.touratech.de

As my kit came without mounting instructions do please enjoy the pictures.

( Edit Instruction are provided via the Web site by part number, I found a leaflet explaining this see bottom of post ).

1542640513780.jpg

1542640555808.jpg

If you decide to do this upgrade, please bear in mind the following:

1. Drop the Bash plate.
2. Remove exhaust sensor plug cable /clip it off from loom first. don't twist it round !
3. Then Remove the whole exhaust.
( unless two of you are available to hold it will need to remove back box first for ease )
4. Mount the adapters to the frame front first.
5. Remove the frame screws from both sides ( see photo's )
6. Replace on stand side only with M8 Stainless Hex (provided)
7. Mount slotted adapter plate on frame (behind Sensor on foot brake side)
with frame original M10 bolts.
8. Mount crash bars each side each with 2 x M8 Stainless Hex
9. Remount exhaust.
10.Remount Bash Plate.

Time taken 2hours 30 mins. ( without a Bench / or Main stand )

Other things to look out for.

1542641536175.png

You might want to take the option available at Touratech
to extend the footbrake pedal.
If you use boots, or off road you probably will need this.

Or do like me and just open the locknut on the splined spindle
and pull it out 5mm. I don't use boots much so its ok.

1542642007703.jpg

Other pics

1542641871522.jpg shows adapter on left side

1542641954898.jpg shows adapter above exhaust sensor

on the left of the sensor (but not visible) are two frame bolts, the longer one is toward the rear.

1542642118046.jpg
removal of 2 x frame bolts left /gear side.

Here is the method using the PN to get some instructions, why they cannot put a copy in the box is a mystery to me.

1542701988573.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
In process and on order for my ATAS.
MCCruise.com, in process so bike is pretty well stripped down. Picture below was Monday, now the entire airbox and filters are off.
Eastern Beaver on order while things are torn apart.
Batzen adjuster and VStream waiting to be installed on reassembly.
Heed Bunkers on order.
Projectors and slightly down/outward facing Flood Lights to enhance both distant and short range vision as the need applies. The Projectors to be triggered by the high beam circuit and the floods wired to mercury switches for cornering lights with an override using a Honda OEM Fog Light switch.
Only 4,500 on the bike, but replacing air filters while the *(#*%# is torn apart.
20181119_205311.jpg

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
MCCruise has a unit for the 2016 and 2017 models as well. I was waiting to see if the 2019 would have one, and when I found out they would not picked up a 2018 Adventure Sport at a very good price point. So, if you want to add one to your non-throttle by wire, you can do it.

May 6, 2018
Idaho
MCCruise has a unit for the 2016 and 2017 models as well. I was waiting to see if the 2019 would have one, and when I found out they would not picked up a 2018 Adventure Sport at a very good price point. So, if you want to add one to your non-throttle by wire, you can do it.
That sounds like a winter upgrade coming along with the bark busters. Thanks for the information, I'll check them out.

belrix

africatwin.org gold
Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Took advantage of a nice, sunny and warm November day to perform 16,000 oil change and maintenance and replace the OE air filter with a pair K&N's.

Was going to change the front brake pads but ordered the wrong pads!!! Correct pads on order. :(

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
I've been trying to get a decent mounting spot for the GoPro to get some half decent footage. Not as easy as it seems. I don't think I'm a big fan LOL

So just some junk footage from riding with mates yesterday. Also worked out the KYB's bottom out a bit when I get some air. Will need to beef them up a tad bit me thinks....

And FWIW in case some are wondering, the AT is slower than the 990.... Scotty!!! I need more power!!

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Even though my AT was on used rubber and Neal was on new rubber on the KTM, I managed to stay with him on the loose stuff (and even loose him a few times). It's only on hard, firm surface where the 990 could get down the extra horses, leading me by about 3 bike lengths by the time we reach around 140km/h. Not much in it and the AT obviously much easier to ride offroad than the 990 with its smooth power curve and torque allowing short shifting in the loose stuff.

But I still think I could use another 10-15hp :D

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
This should be in road reports but..

@Squilly CRF easier to control yes, but I'd be surprised to stay with a 990 on the loose stuff , even assuming same tires, the 990's a much lighter machine.
if i had a choice between 10-15 hp more and 10-15 kg less , I'd know what would be more important to me.

In my group of AVG 56 year old madmen we had my previous XRV a KTM 1290 Adv, GS1200 Adv and a KTM 990, ( all Summer road tires )
on Alpine serpentine road trips it was always the GS just behind the 990 uphill , and me struggling to keep up, dropping to 1st gear at every turn.

Off road the XRV was always out front with the 990, no surprise perhaps as max power does'nt count for much
and you don't care if you drop the XRV but you think twice about it on newer machines, I still don't feel anywhere near as confident on the CRF as I was on the XRV

The road situation has changed since I have the CRF and I'm now able to mix it up, far better. But the 990 in my view is still by far the fastest in the Alps.
It is so as it comes into the curve faster under brakes even though a GS 1200 is still best from Mid point-out of the Apex, lower COG
as soon as 2-3rd gear change comes into play the 990 is ahead again very soon.

The 1290 is an enigma to me, So much power ... but I don't see being road handled well enough to actually tell if its quicker in Alps, but from my CRF recent experience versus my neighbour in the Black forest , I doubt it is better coming into curves or leaning through them than any of these above mentioned even including the XRV !

4 days away I'd expect last day that the heaviest bike will have eaten the front tire , as its always been the case, then we drink beer and go home.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
This should be in road reports but..

@Squilly CRF easier to control yes, but I'd be surprised to stay with a 990 on the loose stuff , even assuming same tires, the 990's a much lighter machine.
if i had a choice between 10-15 hp more and 10-15 kg less , I'd know what would be more important to me.
Not that much lighter. At most 20kg. DCT has much faster shifting than 990. The lighter tail-end of the KTM also makes it loose traction too quickly: I tend to sit much further back on wheel than my mate. Power means nothing if you can't get it down onto the ground. Keep in mind, we still get wheelspin at about 100km/h if we go hard. On the vid at around 45second mark, we're accelerating out of a corner from about 80km/h up and you can see what I mean.

And I was riding in shorts, t-shirt and thongs, so not trying all that hard either.

And I've chased guys through mountain passes before - on the uphill, horsepower is key. On the downhill, its rider skill and fluency of who can go through the corners the fastest. I've seen guys on old R100 beamers run rings around new superbikes.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu