• Hi riders and readers, We just upgraded and updated some code to make things run a bit better on the site. Please let us know if you find any technical glitches or issues. Thank you again! africatwin.org staff

What did you do to your bike today??

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Not that much lighter. At most 20kg. DCT has much faster shifting than 990. The lighter tail-end of the KTM also makes it loose traction too quickly: I tend to sit much further back on wheel than my mate. Power means nothing if you can't get it down onto the ground. Keep in mind, we still get wheelspin at about 100km/h if we go hard..
I don't have DCT , but appreciate what you mean ( tried it but felt it was not for me, I missed not being able to feather the clutch at 5kmh and I always fall off at that speed.)

For sure on the road the 990 tail is also all over the place, but I think that is more a function of the power weight ratio. The 990 ( 116bhp SM road version that I refer is 192kg ready to go albeit with a 15 litre tank), the DCT weighs in at 242kg. In my case I'm also 10 kg heavier than the 990 rider. I'm giving away 20hp&50kg . So Its no wonder to me that he is off and away. (pics for fun)

990 SM r  116hp.jpg

sleepyOwl

Oct 2, 2018
Uk
Like the Dark windscreen , Its almost as black as the sheep under the Bodmin Sky :rolleyes:.
Who makes the bash plate ?
Its from Heed. Windscreen is the "dark smoke" from Slipscreen. They do a Black one so goodness knows how dark that is.

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Thanks for that , Heeds plate looks a decent upgrade route for me.

If the screen gets any darker though it would perhaps be called a Blackout
think you made right choice on that.

belrix

Gold Rider
Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Haven't rode my AT in a few days but I did ride my girlfriends NC700X 75 miles to her new house Sunday.

Love the NC!

superfunkomatic

Had a USB charger and voltmeter kit left over from my Varadero (never installed it).
The toolkit space on this bike is pretty much useless space so I put the charger and voltmeter in there. Easy to reach and directly below my helmet to charge my Sena unit or to my pocket to charge my phone.

Attachments

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho
Had a USB charger and voltmeter kit left over from my Varadero (never installed it).
The toolkit space on this bike is pretty much useless space so I put the charger and voltmeter in there. Easy to reach and directly below my helmet to charge my Sena unit or to my pocket to charge my phone.
I felt the same way about the "little useless box" so I used the barbed differential plug from my old jeep and fit the male end of the battery tender through it. I can also use the connection to plug into my portable compressor. or any other 12v accessory I can come up with.

Attachments

Reactions: superfunkomatic

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Ok, Graves asked for a detail with pictures, and here it is. Projects completed last 5 weeks since purchasing the bike.

Cruise control from www.mccruise.com was straight forward. Delivery from Australia was less than 10 days and under $600 U.S. Truly plug and play, and the instruction manual is excellent. If you are contemplating installing one you can download the instruction manual and read it prior to purchase. I did, and it seemed no more difficult than some of the electrical work I have done on my Goldwing, and such was the case. As with several projects I have completed on my ATAS, I wished my glove size were extra-small. The disassembly of the bike was really not problematic, but then the reassembly was a challenge to connect hoses and connectors under the Air-Box (does not have to be removed on DCT models) was the worst. The good news is that the unit works as advertised in all aspects. I have yet to re-set my increase/decrease speed from Km to Miles, but that is described as a quite simple process. One caution that I would give is that in the final calibration they indicate that while it can be done on a center stand, it is better to do it riding as it can cause a fault in some ECMs. I can assure you that the AT is one of those. The system took offense to the back wheel spinning at 40 mph in 4th and the front wheel dead still. Had to take it into the Honda shop and plug it in to get the codes to clear. I chose to locate the cruise control computer under the pillion seat.

1544906626293.png1544906636763.png1544906646713.png

While it was open I decided to add and Eastern Beaver unit under the rider seat (I have it on the low position and there is plenty of room). I only used one of the always on circuits and that was for my SAE plug for my battery maintainer. Originally I just had it dangling out the left side where it had been placed by the fellow I purchased the bike from, but I really like the idea of installation on the worthless tool kit, and so I added that along with a 5A switched circuit for a weatherproof dual USB charge port, and I thank all of you for the great ideas such as these. One 5A switched circuit goes forward and powers my Garmin 595 mount, one 15A circuit runs up on top of the tank and airbox and feeds a First Gear jack for my heated clothing. It can be seen on the left side top penetrating both the black tank fairing and the Swegotech fork shield air diversion unit. While the tank and air manifold was off I also added to the loom containing the circuit for the Garmin two circuits that dead-end in my right fairing and have no fuse in the box, one 14 gauge and one 12 gauge, so should I want to add something in the future the wires are there and need but a fuse to give them power.

1544906686270.png1544906706676.png1544906731815.png

The former owner had a set of inexpensive projector lights that were on all of the time and plugged into the cig lighter plug. I am going to see how the lights work out, but the power delivery was just unacceptable and constant on projectors are not all that legal in Oregon. To resolve this, and to add fog lights, I pulled the front fairing and both left and right switch-cluster/turn signals off and dug out the 4-pin plug in back of the instrument panel and utilized that for those two items. The projectors are initiated by turning on the high beam, and the fog lights by the use of an OEM switch I ordered out of rugged roads, making my own wiring loom using the spare male plug I picked up from Eastern Beaver with I got my power distribution unit. I did make a mistake here in that I decided to install the fog light switch in the far right knock out and made the loom to fit. Unfortunately, on installation I found that the fog light switch will only mount properly on the left side, so had to cut and rebuild the loom to accommodate that position. While I was working on the left side I tapped into the accessory socket for a volt meter and cut into the solid “switch position” to the left of the fog light switch. It makes for a nice installation. I had designed a circuit and purchased the mercury switches and photocell to actuate the fog lights as cornering lights, thereby using them for dual purpose, but then sanity got the best of me as I could not figure out how to adequately calibrate the tilt angle of the switches for centripetal force in a corner so that they actuated when I wanted. That pretty much covers the electrical work, and links for some of the misc. parts I used for the process are at the end of this post.

1544906902823.png1544906982446.png1544906997061.png

To be continued on 2nd post due to upload file limitation.

Attachments

Reactions: Admin and DELLA

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
As alluded to before, for wind management I installed a Swegotech at the top of the fork tunnel. In addition I got one of the 1st batch of 10 Batzen units that Wolfgang reworked to fit the Adventure Sport, and it fit perfectly. The Batzen carries a VStream 20.25” windscreen that sets just a couple inches below my eye level when adjusted to the bottom position. As expected, this combination puts my head in a nice calm bubble, but I still get a bit more air around the left side on my shoulder than I like. The right does not suffer that so much due to the placement of my Garmin.

1544907244494.png

The last item was a set of Heed crash bars, picked because I had read some good reports, the price was excellent, and they come with mounting points for the stock skid-plate on the Adventure Sport. They came from Poland in 19 days, so well packed it took my 30 minutes to take the protectant off. They are very well made, and fit perfectly, however, the instructions have much to be desired. If you are considering the Heed bars, I would suggest the purchase of a good quality 10mm x 125mm bolt and a 8mm x 125mm bolt to replace those to items in the fastener kit. I have ordered those in stainless and will replace those supplied by Heed the next time I am working on things down there. The bolts supplied to attach the guards to the frame amid-ship have no head on one end but are fastened by a nut on each end, and addressing this for proper tightening took an excessive amount of time and skinned knuckles. I could not figure out how to torque such an arrangement, therefor my decision to replace those particular fasteners.

1544907313334.png1544907325183.png1544907337502.png

Once the Heed bars were on I could attach the light mounts to the bar and plug in my lights using weatherproof connectors, and found that I could creatively mount both light types on one mount. These can be seen in the previous post.

Projects to be added? It already had a set of Tusk panniers and a Givi top box, the latter of which I likely will not use. Interesting that the last two bikes I have purchase have used the same panniers, but this set is not on the stock quick-release mounts. So, a set of Bark Buster Storm units, a set of lomo crash bar bags (wouldn’t have known of these without the group), and perhaps a fender riser kit are all on my list for Santa. I will try to get a 400+ mile day in early spring to see if the seat is going to work for me both height and comfort-wize. If not, I will have Don Weber ( https://www.mredsmoto.com/) rebuild my seat to fit my personal butt. First big ride will be about 3 weeks long the end of May into early June with an irascible group of old farts from all over the United States that I ride with once a year. This year we did WV, where I fell in love with a 1200GS that I rented but would not want to support, last year was Chama, NM on my Wind, next year is Deadwood, SD on the ATAS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N57XLNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079GS2C7B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YALUXH0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWOIMIN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCJG3VT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
If I recall, you are using the Batzen and VStream. If so, what did you do for the mirror interference on the VStream?

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
That may well be it. Might either get some mirror extensions, or look at some risers.

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Apart from the wind issues from the fork tunnel which I feel are addressed with one of these panels.

baffle.jpg

My next item will be better mirror or positioning. I watch my shoulders for 60 % of the time .

The Std "make up" mirror and its mounting are for those rather wanting a look at themselves than behind them.

Make up mirror.jpg

God how I hate people dipping into parts bins , with a that'll do attitude.

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
An update on the MCCruise unit I installed. We had a break in the weather yesterday so I set the calibration of the increase/decrease to 1 mph and went for a ride. The cruise control, in my opinion, works better than those on my Avalon, the Highlander I had, my new F-150, or my Goldwing. On all of those vehicles when you break off the cruise and drop a significant amount of speed, the resume is dramatic acceleration, and on the three cars includes downshifting significantly. On the MCCruise unit the resume is a steady smooth acceleration tapering up to, but not over, the speed that was set prior to breaking it off. At this point, I am giving it 5 stars. The only debit I would give it is the bloody tight spaces you have to get into on the standard transmission application.

Reactions: Admin

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
I am sure that mother Honda could easily put the cruise they have on the new Wing on this, they are just choosing not to do so. And then there is the whole issue of my personality is not well suited for a large corporation culture, and retirement at 70 is but a year away. No, just like doing my own wrenching and helping others with theirs.

Reactions: Admin and Graves

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu