• Wishing everyone a happy new year! May 2019 bring you tons of happiness and riding time.

What did you do to your bike today??

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Sweet! What did you use for tubes? I thought of making one with ABS, but if something is readily available, that is better! On the down side, Ms Santa was conspicuously stingy with the MC items! GoPro 7 Black, and that is nice, and a new razor (maybe Ms. Santa is hinting), but it is on to ordering what I need for the balance of the winter projects.

The tool tubes are from DrySpec - Twisted Throttle.
I think they are about $20 including some basic fasteners. To get two on the left pannier rack I had to fabricate a simple bracket but they do fit. And it's pretty much dead space anyhow. Really great to have extra space tucked away for longer tours.

Sweet! What did you use for tubes? I thought of making one with ABS, but if something is readily available, that is better! On the down side, Ms Santa was conspicuously stingy with the MC items! GoPro 7 Black, and that is nice, and a new razor (maybe Ms. Santa is hinting), but it is on to ordering what I need for the balance of the winter projects.

belrix

africatwin.org gold
Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Another day of not riding my AT.

:(

Have been having fun splashing through puddles in its new stable matter though.

:)

Will ride on New Year's Day, gotta start the new year off right.

;)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Washed the pig and installed the Heed Bunker Buster bars. Pretty straight forward install, only needed the instructions for their bolt locations, didn’t like some of the bolt leginths so I switched things up a bit.

Now I’m going to play with the exhaust before I reinstall, need to remove a few dents, just a few...

Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
finished putting the girl back together after 48k service. changing plugs and checking valve clearances is a major PITA!! :D
That's what I always loved about my old 93 XT 600... could check and adjust valve lash without removing anything but a small access cover on each side!! So damn easy, techmology always comes with a price hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Air filtering too. These things seem to have a good setup to keep the grit out, I’ve had other bikes where the filtering was poor and the intakes went away. I may just wait to hear more from others and push the interval out a bit.

Nope. All good.

I have a theory (based on my experience in rebuilding motors) that running low octane fuel increase valve seat wear. So I use super whenever it's available. It's served me well on all my bikes I've done it on so far.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
Air filtering too. These things seem to have a good setup to keep the grit out, I’ve had other bikes where the filtering was poor and the intakes went away. I may just wait to hear more from others and push the interval out a bit.
Yes, definitely air filters

I'm running foam pre-filters as well. The one pre-filter was filthy, the other was ok. I'm still running my original set of paper filters. I thought I'd have to replace them now, but comparing them with new ones showed little difference, so I just serviced the foam filters and left them in.

I've also used NGK LMAR8AI-8 instead of the specified plugs. About half the price and the only difference (apparently) is the preset plug gap that is smaller, so you need to change this before installation. I checked the OEM plugs that came out and the gaps were smaller than specified in the manual as well, so not sure what happened to mine during installation at the factory.... :rolleyes:

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I can imagine plugs at the factory, I see something like bulk 22 ammo loose in a big box, they don’t gap them, just out of the bin and into the head.

Yes, definitely air filters

I'm running foam pre-filters as well. The one pre-filter was filthy, the other was ok. I'm still running my original set of paper filters. I thought I'd have to replace them now, but comparing them with new ones showed little difference, so I just serviced the foam filters and left them in.

I've also used NGK LMAR8AI-8 instead of the specified plugs. About half the price and the only difference (apparently) is the preset plug gap that is smaller, so you need to change this before installation. I checked the OEM plugs that came out and the gaps were smaller than specified in the manual as well, so not sure what happened to mine during installation at the factory.... :rolleyes:

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Barkbuster Storms installed this evening. Rode about a 100 miles today, and beginning to think the seat needs a rework to fit my gaining @$$.

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
What did I do to my bike today? I rode the bloody thing for 4 hours on a variety of surfaces to experience the different level of power, exhaust braking and traction control (3,3 & 7) on my adventures sport, and am quite pleased. I then went by the seat-maker that did my Goldwing seat and made an appointment, as the stock seat is clearly NOT all-day for my aging butt. When we finished our ride I fueled up and then my friend and I laid the bike down on his lawn to see if I could pick it up. I could not! True, was traction compromised on the wet grass, and my 6' 200 lb frame is not in the best condition, but it has no problem picking up a Goldwing. Now I have serious doubts and will have to either work out some technique or only ride my wing or KLR when alone. Thoughts my friends.

May 6, 2018
Idaho
What did I do to my bike today? I rode the bloody thing for 4 hours on a variety of surfaces to experience the different level of power, exhaust braking and traction control (3,3 & 7) on my adventures sport, and am quite pleased. I then went by the seat-maker that did my Goldwing seat and made an appointment, as the stock seat is clearly NOT all-day for my aging butt. When we finished our ride I fueled up and then my friend and I laid the bike down on his lawn to see if I could pick it up. I could not! True, was traction compromised on the wet grass, and my 6' 200 lb frame is not in the best condition, but it has no problem picking up a Goldwing. Now I have serious doubts and will have to either work out some technique or only ride my wing or KLR when alone. Thoughts my friends.
Hummmm, Regarding picking up the A/T I found was easier than I thought. I mistakenly dropped it in a gravel parking lot due to not having my side stand down past 90*. I had seen this demonstrated by a friend of mine who showed me how he picked up his Gold wing. It was easier than I thought, back into the bike, grabbed the bar and the rear hand grab and lift. How ever, I was in a fairly flat surface. Not sure how this would go if I had muddy conditions or sloped terrain. Due to only being 5'-9" and 175# I have had plenty of experience picking up my share of dirt bikes and D/S bikes in 40 years of riding.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu