• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2020!

What did you do to your bike today??

ADVArt

Aug 18, 2019
Metro-Denver, Colorado
Ugh, that totally sucks. I was hoping the 2019s were fixed. What do they plan to do different than just replacing parts? I read in another forum they are just replacing parts and not fixing the actual issue with the fuel tank so it can happen again.

I'm thinking if i have the problem I want them to use this "caswell" tank sealer used to restore older rusting gas tanks...

BTW, you are also in the Metro-Denver area. So am I, if you don't mind me asking which shop did you take it to? If this happens to my bike I'd rather deal with a shop that has seen and worked it already...

I had to take my 2019 ATAS to the dealer today. It seems it was bitten by the dreaded tank fuel pump issue. They said they are experiencing a shortage on parts and it may be out of commission for awhile. Hopefully not too long. I guess it is better to have it happen in fall than in spring, but still a bummer.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
What’s the fuel pump issue?

I had to take my 2019 ATAS to the dealer today. It seems it was bitten by the dreaded tank fuel pump issue. They said they are experiencing a shortage on parts and it may be out of commission for awhile. Hopefully not too long. I guess it is better to have it happen in fall than in spring, but still a bummer.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
What’s the fuel pump issue?
Honda has been having some issues with the bigger ATAS tanks. At least my dealer told me that the only ones that they have seen are the bigger ATAS tanks, none of the standard AT tanks. But apparently the tank lining is flaking off, blocking the pre-filter and in some cases working its way into the pump. My dealership told me that the first one that they saw, Honda just had them replace the tank. But apparently since then they have been instructed to clean the tank and replace the filter and pump.

@ADVArt I have it over at Fay Myers. Dropped it off yesterday morning. They have seen a number of them and Casey and Micheal Sterm (warranty manager) seem to be well aware of the problem. They didn't even need to do a diagnostic. Just told me to get it in and that it would be a pretty straight forward fuel pump replacement, though due to parts shortage may take awhile. I am not familiar with "caswell" tank sealer. I will have to bring that up when they connect with me.

Kind of a bummer. I have less than 4K miles on the bike after trading my 2016 in on it.

It can create a very dangerous situation. I had it happen 4 times on a ride on Monday. Every time I could get it running OK for awhile by pulling over, turning it off, opening the fuel cap, restarting (takes 2-3 tries) and riding some more. But one time it began to surge and loose power after I had crossed the yellow dotted line and was attempting a pass. I had to roll off the throttle, fall back in behind the car I was trying to pass and pull over to the shoulder.

Reactions: Admin and ADVArt

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
That's not good. I'd be real tempted to pull the tank and inspect once repaired and returned.

Honda has been having some issues with the bigger ATAS tanks. At least my dealer told me that the only ones that they have seen are the bigger ATAS tanks, none of the standard AT tanks. But apparently the tank lining is flaking off, blocking the pre-filter and in some cases working its way into the pump. My dealership told me that the first one that they saw, Honda just had them replace the tank. But apparently since then they have been instructed to clean the tank and replace the filter and pump.

@ADVArt I have it over at Fay Myers. Dropped it off yesterday morning. They have seen a number of them and Casey and Micheal Sterm (warranty manager) seem to be well aware of the problem. They didn't even need to do a diagnostic. Just told me to get it in and that it would be a pretty straight forward fuel pump replacement, though due to parts shortage may take awhile. I am not familiar with "caswell" tank sealer. I will have to bring that up when they connect with me.

Kind of a bummer. I have less than 4K miles on the bike after trading my 2016 in on it.

It can create a very dangerous situation. I had it happen 4 times on a ride on Monday. Every time I could get it running OK for awhile by pulling over, turning it off, opening the fuel cap, restarting (takes 2-3 tries) and riding some more. But one time it began to surge and loose power after I had crossed the yellow dotted line and was attempting a pass. I had to roll off the throttle, fall back in behind the car I was trying to pass and pull over to the shoulder.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
That's not good. I'd be real tempted to pull the tank and inspect once repaired and returned.
KTM has been known for similar issues. I had the fuel sender on my 1190 replaced twice. It would stick and always read full tank. They also had to replace the fuel pump. I traded it for the the original AT before finding out if it would happen a second time. I thought I left those issues behind with a Honda :)

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Makes me wonder why they'd use a coating that can't survive modern gas... or maybe it's over spray from the paint and clear coat. ???

KTM has been known for similar issues. I had the fuel sender on my 1190 replaced twice. It would stick and always read full tank. They also had to replace the fuel pump. I traded it for the the original AT before finding out if it would happen a second time. I thought I left those issues behind with a Honda :)

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Makes me wonder why they'd use a coating that can't survive modern gas... or maybe it's over spray from the paint and clear coat. ???
Good question. There has been a lot of discussion about the issue on the ADV forum. Photos show white chunks of stuff clogging the pre-filter. A photo of a drained tank shows a white material along the tank welds that appears to be the source of the flaking. Someone mentioned that it is intended to stop the tank from rusting along the welds. I have no idea if that is accurate.

Pretty much the same issue with my 1190. Flakes of crap in the tank.

I am not sure why it is only the ATAS that seems affected. Tanks sourced from a different manufacturer?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
This is what appears to be the source of the material causing the issues

Being a welder for a good number of years that to me looks a whole lot like un-chipped weld slag.... Looks like they didnt clean up after the robot welder..

Reactions: Graves

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
+1 On the slag theory.

Being a welder for a good number of years that to me looks a whole lot like un-chipped weld slag.... Looks like they didnt clean up after the robot welder..

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I will take yall's word for it. I don't know jack about welding. Bummer that it happens though :(

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I will take yall's word for it. I don't know jack about welding. Bummer that it happens though :(

If that is the case, that for sure should fall under "manufacturers defect" and in my humble opinion should be covered completely free of charge!! I would have definitely had a word with the dealer and Honda on that one...

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Yes it should, but how many tanks have been made prior to assembly startup? Doubt that they'll remake all the tanks, cheaper to just deal with what's out there. I'm going to guess a back-purge failure in the weld process.

If that is the case, that for sure should fall under "manufacturers defect" and in my humble opinion should be covered completely free of charge!! I would have definitely had a word with the dealer and Honda on that one...

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org

Oh no worry about that. Dealership already said it would be a cut and dry warranty repair. The downside of course is the loss of the bike while waiting for parts. From what I understand the wait can be extensive.

In some cases it seems Honda has extended warranty for 1 year on the repaired bikes. I already have the Honda extended warranty however, so that gesture might be a bit empty.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I feel your pain I got injured at work cut a tendon in the middle finger of my clutch hand July 1st... had 2 surgeries to repair it, 57 stiches and 3 months of therapy later i was able to ride for the first time last Friday!! I pretty much lost an entire summer of riding

Reactions: Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I feel your pain I got injured at work cut a tendon in the middle finger of my clutch hand July 1st... had 2 surgeries to repair it, 57 stiches and 3 months of therapy later i was able to ride for the first time last Friday!! I pretty much lost an entire summer of riding

I have been in that situation before as well. Had a back injury like 3 years ago that kept me off the bike from late May until September of that year.

I think missing the summer was way worse than I think this will be. Granted there is some very good riding to be done in the fall and some good days to ride in the winter in Colorado. But I wont be missing out on long days of sunshine and multi-day/multi-week trips as I did that summer.

Wondering if I should have the dealership install one of these when they do the fuel pump replacement.

Reactions: ADVArt

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I have been in that situation before as well. Had a back injury like 3 years ago that kept me off the bike from late May until September of that year.

I think missing the summer was way worse than I think this will be. Granted there is some very good riding to be done in the fall and some good days to ride in the winter in Colorado. But I wont be missing out on long days of sunshine and multi-day/multi-week trips as I did that summer.

Wondering if I should have the dealership install one of these when they do the fuel pump replacement.

Seems pretty legitimate, only thing i noticed is that the open end of the large pre-filter will be at the bottom of the tank when the tank is installed so anything that settles in the tank will pass through the open end of the filter rendering the outer filter kinda useless unless you zip-tied or wired it on somehow

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I took advantage of a bright, cool Autumn day and ride into town.

Currently at Starbucks enjoying an Italian dark roast coffee and some Sopressata (uncured Italian salami with Monterey jack cheese)

OMG! What have I become???

I knew spending 3 days with 25 BMW riders last weekend would have repercussions!!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I took advantage of a bright, cool Autumn day and ride into town.

Currently at Starbucks enjoying an Italian dark roast coffee and some Sopressata (uncured Italian salami with Monterey jack cheese)

OMG! What have I become???

I knew spending 3 days with 25 BMW riders last weekend would have repercussions!!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Before you know it you are going to be subscribing to the MOA, reading the ON magazine and whining online about grass clippings ;)

Reactions: ADVArt

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Oh no worry about that. Dealership already said it would be a cut and dry warranty repair. The downside of course is the loss of the bike while waiting for parts. From what I understand the wait can be extensive.

In some cases it seems Honda has extended warranty for 1 year on the repaired bikes. I already have the Honda extended warranty however, so that gesture might be a bit empty.

Quoting my own post just to follow up on this. They dealership did find contamination in the fuel pump. Honda will be replacing the fuel injectors, fuel pump and cleaning the tank. All under warranty of course.

They have the fuel pump on hand already, but the injectors where back-ordered. Allegedly to be back in stock by Monday. Hopefully I get it back in a week or so and the issue is permanently resolved.

I still haven't decided on the Guglatech Mazinga upgrade, since RITwin brought up a good point about the open end of the large pre-filter. Maybe still better than not having it?

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu