• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2020!

What did you do to your bike today??

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Oh dont get me wrong its still better than having nothing at all! Im just saying you might wanna think about safety wiring it on with some stainless wire or something somehow. Either that or find a way to get the end to seal up a little better if possible. You are still better off with it than without.( Im a firm believer in "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have")

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: livingwellcfr

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Oh dont get me wrong its still better than having nothing at all! Im just saying you might wanna think about safety wiring it on with some stainless wire or something somehow. Either that or find a way to get the end to seal up a little better if possible. You are still better off with it than without.( Im a firm believer in "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have")

I am going to contact them and raise that issue with the filter. Will see what they feel is the solution to it. Maybe it has been asked and answered before and they will have a good answer.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Went for a 200 mile trail ride that got cut a little short by one of the guys I was with dropping his 2019 triumph scrambler 1200xce on a rock and punching a whole in it and losing a bunch of oil and its his birthday!!! Trail fixed it with electrical tape to get to the hardware store for JB weld and oil. Im so glad I dont own a triumph... in their infinite wisdom they put the oil fill behind the exhaust!!! We had to buy a funnel and a piece of tubing to get it in...
But on a lighter note I did receive my SW-Motek adventure rack, will be installing that tomorrow along with the roto-pax that have been sitting on my shelf for 3 months....

Last edited:

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Went for a 200 mile trail ride that got cut a little short by one of the guys I was with dropping his 2019 triumph scrambler 1200xce on a rock and punching a whole in it and losing a bunch of oil and its his birthday!!! Trail fixed it with electrical tape to get to the hardware store for JB weld and oil. Im so glad I dont own a triumph... in their infinite wisdom they put the oil fill behind the exhaust!!! We had to buy a funnel and a piece of tubing to get it in...
But on a lighter note I did receive my SW-Motek adventure rack, will be installing that tomorrow along with the roto-pax that have been sitting on my shelf for 3 months....

I have had a number of Triumphs over the years and really like them in general. I also really like the looks and the idea of the Scrambler 1200. But the reality of it is that is more of an adventure styled mototcyle isn't it. Everything is either exposed or in a bad place for any kind of easy access.

I wouldn't mind having the use of one for a day or three though :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I have had a number of Triumphs over the years and really like them in general. I also really like the looks and the idea of the Scrambler 1200. But the reality of it is that is more of an adventure styled mototcyle isn't it. Everything is either exposed or in a bad place for any kind of easy access.

I wouldn't mind having the use of one for a day or three though :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Its a great bike if you can get the guy with the fancy brown leather boots and twisted up waxed mustache off of it !! Really though its VERY capable off road. It keeps up with 2 modded AT's in some pretty damn knarly stuff but it is quite noticeably not meant to be a hard offroader, even the fact that there is almost no aftermarket support he can't even get a set of bark busters or a skidplate....

Reactions: Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Its a great bike if you can get the guy with the fancy brown leather boots and twisted up waxed mustache off of it !! Really though its VERY capable off road. It keeps up with 2 modded AT's in some pretty damn knarly stuff but it is quite noticeably not meant to be a hard offroader, even the fact that there is almost no aftermarket support he can't even get a set of bark busters or a skidplate....

Great engine and transmission. But they just kinda left everything out there exposed. Aftermarket support is poor as is their own OEM parts line. Dealer support can be a bit iffy as well. I had a nightmare experience with an Explorer and the months waiting time in the dealership waiting for backorder parts from the UK. Two of the happiest days of my motorcycling life was the day I bought an Explorer and the day I sold it. But otherwise, I am a big fan of Triumph and will likely own another down the road at some point :)

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
On the topic of "What did you do to your bike today." I brought mine home from the dealership after the fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel tank cleaning procedure. I wish I could say I had more confidence that the issue won't repeat, but the technician line item "Cleaned inside of fuel tank the best I could with Scotch Brite in an attempt to clean inside of tank per Honda" isn't exactly confidence-inducing.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Found a absolutely fantastic and CHEAP substitute for those expensive top boxes... went to the shooting range and realized my "Plano, gun vault all weather large pistol case" makes a perfect top box its weather proof (think pelican case) lockable only cost me $50-$60 ( plus $6 in stainless bolts from the hardware store) depending on what website or sporting goods store you buy it from.
Drill 4 holes and mounts directly to the sw-motek adventure rack. That being said you could mount it directly to the stock honda tail rack but I already had the sw- motek one so i used it. All said and done it cost a whopping $58.94 U.S.

Reactions: BobSill and belrix

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho
These are great cases for ADV bikes, I'm using Pelican 1550 and 1525 cases for my panniers. They take a beating like no other case i've seen yet.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
These are great cases for ADV bikes, I'm using Pelican 1550 and 1525 cases for my panniers. They take a beating like no other case i've seen yet.
That they are, though actual "pelican" cases tend to be more money this "Plano" one is just as good if not better but lockable and WAY cheaper

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
Finished the rebuild yesterday after receiving the last bits. Then rode out to the lakes for some water sampling

Really impressed with the Altrider crashbars installation - it's been a long time since I've done an installation of parts that fit together so well.

Reactions: BobSill and belrix

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho
That they are, though actual "pelican" cases tend to be more money this "Plano" one is just as good if not better but lockable and WAY cheaper

Plano makes great cases, I have a couple for my rifles and pistols. Great product.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Yesterday was 60 degrees and sunny...with 25-30 mile per hour winds! But managed a good ride around the local gravel roads that had been reduced to mud thanks to a 2-inch rainfall on Thanksgiving day. The Bridgestone AX41's tires kept me upright and performed really nicely
Muddy!.JPG in the muddy conditions (better than me...I hate riding in mud!)

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho
Yesterday was 60 degrees and sunny...with 25-30 mile per hour winds! But managed a good ride around the local gravel roads that had been reduced to mud thanks to a 2-inch rainfall on Thanksgiving day. The Bridgestone AX41's tires kept me upright and performed really nicely
View attachment 2199 in the muddy conditions (better than me...I hate riding in mud!)
looks pretty soupy to me, nasty looking stuff

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
Sunday I spent the day putting a whack of Outback Motortek protection on my shiny new Twin.
Engine guards, skid plate, center stand.

Pannier racks go on in spring, Oxford heated grips this weekend.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Changed front and rear sprockets and put on a new chain on my AT! After 26,000 miles it was time for a change, the chain was getting stiff and the front sprocket was hooked. The process took WAY longer than it should have, made a couple of silly mistakes!

I went for a ride and was amazed by how quiet the chain was after the replacement. :)

All was well until I returned home and noticed the left fork seal had decided to start leaking badly, fork oil puddle in the garage. Grrr!

Local Honda dealer is closed today but will talk to them tomorrow about new fork seals. Not what I wanted for Christmas

Be safe!

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Clean the seal first, may be just some crud causing the leak, cured mine twice by cleaning.

Changed front and rear sprockets and put on a new chain on my AT! After 26,000 miles it was time for a change, the chain was getting stiff and the front sprocket was hooked. The process took WAY longer than it should have, made a couple of silly mistakes!

I went for a ride and was amazed by how quiet the chain was after the replacement. :)

All was well until I returned home and noticed the left fork seal had decided to start leaking badly, fork oil puddle in the garage. Grrr!

Local Honda dealer is closed today but will talk to them tomorrow about new fork seals. Not what I wanted for Christmas

Be safe!

Reactions: ak864

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu