What did you do to your bike today??

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I know they work, I put them in my bike. But isn’t one of the benefits that they are a high mileage filter that doesn’t require much maintenance? I’ve used K&N’s in multiple vehicles over the years and have found no more residue on the air box interior than what an oiled foam filter would let through. Please don’t misunderstand me, there’s nothing wrong with cleaning your filters, but my argument would be that it is unnecessary to disassemble the bike just for that.

Yes, they work for me!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
No misunderstanding, I didn't phrase my reply very succinct

I was pushing 20,000 miles since I had installed the K&N's, a lot of that on dusty Kansas gravel roads, thought it was time...plus it was something to do during the lockdown

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Ah, 20K interval sounds appropriate.

No misunderstanding, I didn't phrase my reply very succinct

I was pushing 20,000 miles since I had installed the K&N's, a lot of that on dusty Kansas gravel roads, thought it was time...plus it was something to do during the lockdown

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Yup, dust seal and bearing on disc side toast. Local Honda dealer deemed not essential and closed until April 30th

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Run the part numbers on Amazon, they might come up. Or just go to your local bearing house, they should have it.

Yup, dust seal and bearing on disc side toast. Local Honda dealer deemed not essential and closed until April 30th

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Getting the parts isn't the problem, I don't have the required drivers or more importantly the skill or experience replacing bearings

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
Getting the parts isn't the problem, I don't have the required drivers or more importantly the skill or experience replacing bearings

lets set up a stay at home repair conferencing vid and walk you thru it? The old race will be the driver of the new brgs, a drive pin could be an old or new 3/8 or 1/2 extension and or a socket of size, Oh and a BFH! Now just don't bend the harmonica lookin disc thingy.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Thanks for the offer! Been watching videos on bearing replacement, think I can handle it!

Putting together a list of parts now.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
A bit of oil after old crap removed and I never needed heat, but brgs oiled and in freezer helps. a socket to outer race size is nice but old race works.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Got my tool list sorted, going with Motion Pro bearing remover and driver, planning on the following parts; 2 6204UU bearings, distance collar and o-ring, I think everything else is ok

:)

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Easy peasy, they usually load in through the sprocket side.

Drivers...? That’s why they invented sockets and extensions.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Thanks for the offer! Been watching videos on bearing replacement, think I can handle it!

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
...but check the center spacer, if galled from the bearing’s inner race spinning on it it could be narrower and could cause the bearings to preload and fail again.

Easy peasy, they usually load in through the sprocket side.

Drivers...? That’s why they invented sockets and extensions.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015

Cheering for you. Tell us how many bad words you end up saying when done. :)

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu