What did you do to your bike today??

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Looks like I was lucky today,,gravel cracked the rubber but did not puncture all the way through

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BobSill

DuncanMcG

Jul 19, 2020
Texas
I bought a new front tire a few weeks ago. Had it installed at the dealer, where I typically get stellar service. I noticed that my front wheel seemed to be bouncing. Problem is, most of the roads around here are so bumpy that I only noticed it on smooth asphalt and mostly around 40mph.

Finally decided to dismount the wheel and check the balance. It was WAY out. There were 2.7 oz worth of spoke weights on it. I took them off and rebalanced with some flat weights I had on hand and painters tape. Turns out 1.5 oz has it perfectly balanced.

That's the way this thing goes, you learn a little bit at a time as you encounter things you haven't encountered before.

Reactions: belrix

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I bought a new front tire a few weeks ago. Had it installed at the dealer, where I typically get stellar service. I noticed that my front wheel seemed to be bouncing. Problem is, most of the roads around here are so bumpy that I only noticed it on smooth asphalt and mostly around 40mph.

Finally decided to dismount the wheel and check the balance. It was WAY out. There were 2.7 oz worth of spoke weights on it. I took them off and rebalanced with some flat weights I had on hand and painters tape. Turns out 1.5 oz has it perfectly balanced.

That's the way this thing goes, you learn a little bit at a time as you encounter things you haven't encountered before.

I've had the front tire bounce on me when I did not get the bead set completely around the tire.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Rode it about 200 miles this morning with no destination at all, bright spring sun, not a lick of wind, 65°F and the smell of everyone mowing their lawns doesn't get much better than that .....

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Picked up a Kriega Hydro 3 hydration backup, thought I might need it on the 900+ mile ride to Sturgis! :)
I'm sure you will need the hydration pack
I did a ride about 2 weeks ago in temperatures in the mid 30's...and I'm in southern Canada!!
I had to stop a drink often.
Question for you....the extension mounted onto your windscreen, please tell me about it...and is it effective?
I have one on an Ebay order...waiting for it to arrive.
Thanks.
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

2000DXP

Nov 13, 2019
GB
Hi SHUMBA, I hope you are well.

I think your query about the screen extended is directed to me as belrix has a single screen mounted to a moveable after market mount on his bike I think.

The extension on the screen I have was cheap and came completely in bits. It was very easy to assemble and looks ok. It's quality is pretty good as well and is adjustable. I do think it helps a little bit, not as much as the air deflector over the tank. I also think it depends on your height and how much buffeting you get. I personally didn't get much buffeting but tried the mods more out of interest the need because they are cheap. The two gripes I really have about it is that it has been sharp edges on the perspex and will easily cut your hands and fingers is you're not careful when washing it. The other issue I feel is that it's kind of right in the line of my sight which is a little off putting. I have got use to it but was thinking of taking it off and running without it for a while as I have just picked up a new helmet as well.

Regards

Dave

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Hi Dave,
Many thanks for your reply, the info you provided is most helpful.
I was thinking of getting the air/wind deflectors...Honda $$$ has them, perhaps there's deflectors available from the aftermarket, if not, there will be as I'm sure I am not the only 2020 Africa Twin DCT non adventure model owner.
The clip on, or add on wind deflector I have on order will very likely affect my sight picture...hmmmm...I hadn't thought of that...oh well, it's not a lot of money. Additionally, I have mounted on each helmet a Sena Prism Tube wifi camera. I run these cameras to capture events while riding. The add on to my windscreen will show up in the video.
The camera is always running when I'm riding. It captures video in sharp 1080p. I have the camera set to "loop" so the micro SD card is never full.
Unless there's an event, I really don't care what happened 5 minutes or two hours ago. A 32 gb card will hold about 3 hours of video. As well, I have the camera plugged into a power pack, which fits easily into my jacket pocket and I can run all day on a power pack of 15 or 20 milliamps.
Sorry to run off topic here.

The tall Givi windscreen I was using appeared to block the wind, but there was still a lot of buffeting and noise.
The curves in the Givi tall windscreen are annoying and distort one's view of the road...shame on you Givi!!
I'm 5 foot 8 inches and I'm using the OEM seat in the lower position.
I have two helmets, a Shoei RF1200, and an HJC CL17 with the pull down smoke shade. Both hats are full face.
If I'm going riding at speed, I simply use ear plugs ...well not this type..ha ha..
I would still like to hear from others who have the adventure model, as it comes with a taller windscreen.
My previous ride 2020 Yamaha Super Tenere had a tall screen and wind deflectors and I was still using ear plugs.
Thanks again for your help with my query.
SHUMBA

Reactions: 2000DXP

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I test rode a 2021 non-Adventure Sport DCT today and while it was very, very nice I will be sticking with my 2017 for awhile longer, with 44,000 miles it is worth more to me than the dealer. I do wish I had taken a picture of them 2 ATs side-by-side, the 2021 was nice and shiny!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2000DXP and BobSill

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Agree, the 2020 Africa Twin DCT model is a jewel. I just turned 10,000 kilometers (6,200 miles) and love the cruise control along with clutchless riding.
I owned a 2016 Africa Twin clutch model and loved that bike. Africa Twin 30,000 km, then I yearned for sumtin different.... Super Tenere, shaft and CRUISE CONTROL...Woo-hoo. Sadly no DCT offered.
Tenere, very comfortable no chain to clean/lube but it's a heavy bike.
Then Honda upped their game and now I'm riding a 2020 DCT model non adventure.
18 litre tank of gas is good for 300 kilometers + - depending on how fast you ride. All of these big bikes really guzzle gas at high speeds (135-140 kph) 80 + mph. with even greater consumption in cold temperatures with a headwind.
Yup, trade in values on used bikes really suck.
SHUMBA

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu