What did you do to your bike today??

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
That's a jolly good idea.
Mechanics are only humans and anyone can make a mistake.
So, today I removed the front plastic sprocket cover from my 2020 Africa Twin DCT non adventure model.
I had observed several "O" rings on the floor beneath the bike, and "O" rings buldging out of the chain.
Upon removal of the cover, there was a ton of sticky grease like gunge attached to the inside of the cover.
As I cleaned up the grease I observed at least 15-20 "O" rings embeded in the muck.
I first noticed the "O"rings at around 10,000 km (6,000 miles).
Honda says "just a wear item"
Boo-boo!!!
My previous Africa Twin 2016 clutch model served me for 30,000 kms without any chain issues.
My guess is, Honda changed chain suppliers for something cheaper.
I clean an lube the chain after each ride.
Yes, I ride gravel, and I ride sometimes in the rain. I use a good chain spray lube.
Any one out there had a similar problem??
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Although the stock chain is a DID x-ring, it’s not the same as DID’s premium gold x-ring chains, the stock chains tend to be cheap junk. I’m surprised that DID even puts their name on them. I’m sure that Honda specs the chains for their production line. All of my stock chains usually go off very quickly, then I replace with premium and never look back. I even considered replacing the stock chain on my AT when it was brand new, just so save on the cost of the sprockets when the inevitable premature chain failure occurred… but I didn’t.

• Haha
Reactions: OhioAT and Sled_C

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
The stock chain on my 2020 Africa Twin DCT model is definitely an "O"ring chain.
I know what an Xring chain is.
Com'on' Honda, have a look at your quality control.
Any remote chance of a shaft drive?
That is without adding additional weight to the bike.
SHUMBA

Reactions: Sled_C

Svabo

Nov 10, 2019
Long village
New rubber

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
New rubber
Wow, y'all gonna rip up some dirt!
All I did today was order a set of rear brake padz. Bike is coming up to 24,000 kms.
I put on a set of Avon 53/54 tyres new, off a KTM 790.
Just used my tubes as the KTM tyres are tubless.
SHUMBA

Reactions: Svabo

Svabo

Nov 10, 2019
Long village
@SHUMBA thanks wanted to try a bit more off road oriented tyre. 50/50 didn't gave me much confidence on dirt. Which pads you went with for the rear or even better you have a part number

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
@SHUMBA thanks wanted to try a bit more off road oriented tyre. 50/50 didn't gave me much confidence on dirt. Which pads you went with for the rear or even better you have a part number
I Have ordered a rear pair of pads , EBC brand, sorry don't have the P/N, but they are half the price of the Honda OEMs
SHUMBA

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Ugh!

Not my night!

Drained the oil out of my AT and went to remove the oil filter and could not find the filter wrench, fast-forward 2 hours still no filter wrench, I'm blaming Gremlins!

Going to check at the auto parts stores tomorrow, hopefully, someone will have one. If not I will replace the oil and save the filter for the next change, I have a ride this weekend that I do not want to miss.

Ugh!

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Ahhh...just don't forget to put the oyl in.
Filters should be changed, but not critical.
I use a large adjustable plier, or commonly called water pump pliers.
If y'all really in a pinch, take a sharp screwdriver and a hammer and punch a hole in the end of the filter and use the screwdriver to loosen the filter...messy tho.
SHUMBA

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Thanks for the tips!

If I can't find the correct tool tomorrow I might resort to other measures.

It is driving me crazy where it went, all my other motorcycle related tools are in their correct place.

As I said earlier, gremlins!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Thanks for the tips!

If I can't find the correct tool tomorrow I might resort to other measures.

It is driving me crazy where it went, all my other motorcycle related tools are in their correct place.

As I said earlier, gremlins!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Perhaps you lent it to someone.
I can tell y'all that it will be in the last place you look
SHUMBA

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Ugh!

Not my night!

Drained the oil out of my AT and went to remove the oil filter and could not find the filter wrench, fast-forward 2 hours still no filter wrench, I'm blaming Gremlins!

Going to check at the auto parts stores tomorrow, hopefully, someone will have one. If not I will replace the oil and save the filter for the next change, I have a ride this weekend that I do not want to miss.

Ugh!
Old leather belt and a pair of long needle nose pliers and a bar of sorts, wrap belt around filter, grab belt with needle nose, roll up in direction of removal, place bar in-between needle nose handles and torque, remove filter..... ask me how I know that works.... I dare yah!!😏

Keep the rubber side down 🙃

Reactions: belrix

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Now that is very clever.
God bless you!
SHUMBA

Buddy punched a hole in his on the trail, took another buddy's bike to the closest store and grabbed a filter and oil, he and I quote "DIDN'T THINK TO GRAB ANYTHING ELSE"....it was getting dark and I had my obligatory overly packed 10lb tool kit and had my long needlenose and just so happened to be wearing an old leather belt...

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sled_C

Sep 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
New rubber
Great Rubber!
Noticed you have the BART Tubeless wheels, Can I ask how much $ the conversion set you back?

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
These adjustable pliers have several names...I think your OZ word describes them. Rhodesians called them water pump plirers???
SHUMBA

Thats what we call em in Rhode Island.. does that mean I am a Rhodesian?

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu