• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

What do I need to learn about spokes?

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Never had a motorbike with spoked wheels before.

Soooo anyone got a good lead on a resource, video, lesson or post about spokes? I've been looking around youtube but I don't feel educated yet.

I suppose what I need to know is about servicing, checking & maintaining them. I don't imagine I'll be re-spoking a wheel any time soon but understanding the basics might help me better spot a problem when it arises.

All I know so far is that they are adjustable and sound different when pinged like a guitar ;)

I posted this in the wrong place didn't I. Should have been in wheels. There's no delete option.
Should/could this be moved @Admin?

Last edited:

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
You just want to make sure that you check them once in a while, tighten the loose ones so they sound like their neighbors. But don’t fall into the trap of tightening all of them repeatedly, you’ll get them too tight and will start popping the heads off, or worse yet because these wheels don’t typically see regulat abuse, experence catastrophic failure when stress is raised.

Never had a motorbike with spoked wheels before.

Soooo anyone got a good lead on a resource, video, lesson or post about spokes? I've been looking around youtube but I don't feel educated yet.

I suppose what I need to know is about servicing, checking & maintaining them. I don't imagine I'll be re-spoking a wheel any time soon but understanding the basics might help me better spot a problem when it arises.

All I know so far is that they are adjustable and sound different when pinged like a guitar ;)

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
... catastrophic failure ...
Jeeeez... sounds fun. I'll keep an eye for that then! 😂

Daft question... but I assume I am avoiding "too tight" just from the pinging sound being too high - as opposed to keeping track of what we have previously tightened right? Is there a level of magic I need to learn about keeping the wheel running true if I'm just tightening some low pinging spokes?

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
They make all kinds of magic tools that are supposed to provide the perfect torque to spokes, not necessary, just bounce your 1/4 (6MM) wrench off of them and only tighten the ones that go thud. They should ring a little, but not ping. Be careful that the crossing spoke is not touching the spoke you're inspecting, that will deaden the ring and possibility make you think that the spoke made a thud noise.

Jeeeez... sounds fun. I'll keep an eye for that then! 😂

Daft question... but I assume I am avoiding "too tight" just from the pinging sound being too high - as opposed to keeping track of what we have previously tightened right? Is there a level of magic I need to learn about keeping the wheel running true if I'm just tightening some low pinging spokes?

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
cheers @Graves - first bits of knowledge going in! 👍

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
@inexorable You posted in the right place! @Graves is a wizard and we're lucky he hangs out here. Haha. This probably doesn't apply to you @inexorable but the early Africa Twin models (2015-2017) had corrosion issues with their wheels and spokes. There are reports of Honda US and EU replacing them under warranty. So if you're in the market for OEM wheels, try to get the 2018 model wheels because Honda used improved material (stainless steel) to battle against the complaints.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu