• Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays to all riders and readers! Thank you for being a part of the online community and big thanks to @Graves for his effort on this forum. -africatwin.org team

What Helmets do you wear?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
I wear the Bell RS-1 on my street bike and really like it. I upgraded the shield to a transitions and love it, automatically adjusts tint according to UV/Sunlight.

What do you guys wear?

May 14, 2015
Canada
I have a Shoei GT Air Wanderer.
I just purchased a Modular Shark helmet last year when I came across the Shoei. The features, weight and quality impressed me and I decided to buy the Shoei and sell the Shark.

So I replaced this one:

With this one:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
The GT air is a great helmet!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
A good helmet is worth the extra money.

May 14, 2015
Canada
I agree. I don;t think it would me much safer then a cheaper helmet. After all they are all they are DOT or Snell or whatever tested. But they sure are a lot more comfortable. It is nice and light and my GT Air sometimes feels like it has air-conditioning.. On second thought, a better fitting helmet is less distracting and safer in the end.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Actually, the UK Govt does actual crash testing of helmets called the SHARP Helmet safety testing. Unlike DOT or Snell, they actually walk into stores and buy ea helmet off the shelf, instead of letting manufacturers submit helmets. their testing is the most thorough there is.

I check all my helmets before buying there and the Bell and Shoei's rank really well.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

May 14, 2015
Canada
Ok, cool, I am going to take a look. I tend to focus more comfort and build quality. And I know from experience that something built in Japan has an edge.

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Japanese engineering is usually in line with their manufacturing where the Germans tend to over engineer stuff which makes actual manufacturing difficult and alot of their parts that get subbed out to other factories ends up being failures. This is why BMW's end up having so many breakdowns. Wonderfully engineered, but too expensive to build without sending parts off to be built by substandard factories.

May 14, 2015
Canada
Not only that but if you have to work on a machine you learn to appreciate the thought they put into the design. I truly enjoy working on my FZ07. In many ways it is a basic and simple machine, but well engineered.
I have owned many German cars (no bikes) and some were just horrible. Not as bad as the mess they make in France, but challenging nevertheless.

May 25, 2015
Lake City, Florida
I've got a whole room full of helmets for different riding conditions but at the moment I've been wearing the AFX41 more than anything else. I usually grab the Scorpion 1000 for street duty but it's hard to get away from the AFX lid. I love the drop down internal shield and it moves the air very well. In Florida we NEED that.

Davy F

Jul 28, 2015
Northern Ireland
IMG_2739.JPG IMG_2740.JPG IMG_2741.JPG Arai's are the only real choice for me. Been wearing them since '88 and have tried a few other makes in between, but I always come back to the Arai brand....they just fit me perfectly.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu