• Happy 4th of July to those who are observing! Be safe and healthy, friends.

Whats your news?

Posiden

May 25, 2015
The English Lake District
First service done and book and trip master picked up. I'm UK number 75 out of 300.
The book is quite good and details how the new Africa Twin was developed and designed and there are quite a few pages showing the history of the old Africa Twins and how they developed through racing the Paris Dakar.
I didn't get the Trip Master fitted as I have no need and no space for it.
Thing is should it stay with the bike?

Attachments

Last edited:

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
Very gutted I somehow missed this... Still can't understand how... I would keep it with the bike even if it's not installed.

I also did my 1000km service today. Had to ride an hour to the main dealer where I bought the bike. Weather was absolute sh*t. 1 degree, wet roads to begin with, the TC came on more than a few times in the city where roads are just crap.
Then autobahn through areas had over night snow. Sh*tting my self going at 100kmh with trucks and cars flying pass. The OEM tires are absolute rubbish in the wet. Not inspiring at all even in a little bit of wet.

But onwards and upwards. Trip net week - Munich, Austrian alps, Stuttgart Porsche and Mercedes Factory tour, then Nürburgring! 2000km in 5 days. Should be interesting in the AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Posiden

superfunkomatic

Kappa and GIVI (along with Trax) will fit on the SW-Motech steel rack - GPT.01.622.20000.B

You can buy GIVI/Kappa (GPT.00.152.20400.B) and SW Motech (Trax) mounting tabs/hardware for the top cases.

I have the 46 litre top case and 33 litre side cases from Kappa - good quality, same as GIVI, markedly cheaper and fits all the GIVI and SW Motech Hardware.

Still waiting for the bike.... :)

SW-Motechs maybe, if TT-rack has enough material for these mounting points. Of course you need to drill some hole in it. They havealso SW-M steel rack for AT.
Just wondering, why SW-M don't do aluminium racks with mounting points, so you don't need to use separate adapter plates?

EDIT: Link fixed

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
Finally the Touratech bits are rolling in. Picked up the tank bag, back luggage rack and a GPS bracket for above instruments. I must say, so far so good, feels quality as expected. Back luggage rack is probably smaller than some others on offer, but I think it's enough to put a medium bag on.
Tomorrow I get the crash bars. Photos to come.

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
Right finally, got the TT bars installed on my DCT.
Took me about 2 hours, mainly because I had a bit of an issue on the left hand bracket which attaches both top and bottom bar.
A fixed nut which is pressed into the bracket actually came loose, and because of the rounded surface of this nut, I was stuck and wasn't not able to tighten the bolt. In the end, I managed to use a grip and broke the bolt and got the broken fixed but out.
Then I managed to find a M8 bolt and nut to fix the problem. After that, everything went fine.
Bars are actually really nicely made. The only thing I noticed is that the top of the tank bar are fairly close to the bottom of the front fairing.
All in all, was great dealing with TT guys in Dresden. Very professional and friendly.

M

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Anybody gonna do a step by step tech tip and enter the $100 contest? Or is everyone in Europe too rich to care? Lol

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
I woulda done one for the TT bars... But thought the instructions were pretty clear on its own. Will keep it in mind tho.

Posiden

May 25, 2015
The English Lake District
Just been cleaning the bike and as per posts on other site my spokes are looking pretty crap. I tried cleaning them but it seems the chrome has tarnished and gone. Really miffed at this as my bike has 520 miles on it !
The same thing happened on my XTZ but that had a long more miles on it and ran through the winter.
Has anyone else suffered the same?
I don't want to be all sad about it but after 500 miles I don't expect my brand new Honda to look crap when it's 6 weeks old and has hardly turned a wheel.

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
Just been cleaning the bike and as per posts on other site my spokes are looking pretty crap. I tried cleaning them but it seems the chrome has tarnished and gone. Really miffed at this as my bike has 520 miles on it !
The same thing happened on my XTZ but that had a long more miles on it and ran through the winter.
Has anyone else suffered the same?
I don't want to be all sad about it but after 500 miles I don't expect my brand new Honda to look crap when it's 6 weeks old and has hardly turned a wheel.
I was just in the garage and cleaned off the spokes a little with only a microfiber cloth and a dry wash spray, and I didn't notice chrome tarnish or rust or like even some of the photos I've seen on here or other forums.
They look ok/good for 2900km, but light in the garage is pretty bad.
I will however get the bike under sun light and check again tomorrow.

gaz4292

Feb 10, 2016
Newton-le-Willows
Honda have acknowledged the heated grip issues aswell.
My bike is having both wheels replaced along with heated grips in the next few weeks.
However I have expressed my concerns that the new wheels will tarnish just as quick, Honda told me to let the dealer change the wheels and if they rust again then I should submit another warranty claim.
This seems a costly way of dealing with an issue rather than supplying decent stainless steel spokes in the first instance.

Reactions: Bbarsh

gaz4292

Feb 10, 2016
Newton-le-Willows
Yeah, I collected my bike on 5th March in Manchester, after only 170 miles the rear spokes looked like they were 2 years old

Where can I find that Honda have acknowledged a problem with the spokes ?

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
Don't want to jinx myself, but so far I've checked the spokes, no rust or discoloration front or rear. Cleaned it again today with a soft microfiber cloth, comes up good. and the left switch gear seems fine without issues so far. No signed of DCT failure either.
Perhaps the German market for a sorted batch of bikes. *touch wood*

Reactions: 1litre

oldMXR

Feb 19, 2016
Wyoming
Honda have acknowledged the heated grip issues aswell.
My bike is having both wheels replaced along with heated grips in the next few weeks.
However I have expressed my concerns that the new wheels will tarnish just as quick, Honda told me to let the dealer change the wheels and if they rust again then I should submit another warranty claim.
This seems a costly way of dealing with an issue rather than supplying decent stainless steel spokes in the first instance.

Check out Honda's warranty history with my bike, VF1100c, v65 magna. They were replacing engines and even bikes! Honda's worst warranty problem ever. Love my "barn find" v4 but the AT has to be the next and probably the last Honda/bike. After a couple of years, Ill buy used.

Honda ownership history
S90, 40 years ago
SL 350 35 years past
CR250 Elsinore, raced back when
MR 175 & 250 20 years past
TL200 not running
v65 magna, fast ride to freedom

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
Quick ride around the hills in my area in Saxony.
OEM tires are ok on gravel, def not good on grass as expected.
DCT S2 + TC:1 + Gravel Mode + ABS off = fun times.

Reactions: superfunkomatic

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu