Whats your news?

Posiden

May 25, 2015
The English Lake District
Well im unhappy to report that i have slight flaking of the paint on the main frame welds above the foot pegs, tarnished spokes that are getting worse and heated grips that dont ( sometimes.)
Not a happy bunny and will be taking it to the dealers ( as advised by Honda) a.s.a.p.

motacyclist

May 11, 2016
Ellesmere Port
Off to Blackpool tomorrow to return the fully specced dealer loan AT and pick up my own AT which has no extras apart from DCT because they have nothing in stock :(.

Maybe that's a good thing, just ordered Oxford Hot Grips off Amazon for £59, a big saving; and looking at Touratech and other crash bars etc.

Need to sort out a power supply for sat nav and other accessories. The Honda one is on back order so I think I'll improvise.

Be interesting to see how the standard screen compares to the tall one on the loan bike.

Jan 31, 2016
Manchester UK
Well im unhappy to report that i have slight flaking of the paint on the main frame welds above the foot pegs, tarnished spokes that are getting worse and heated grips that dont ( sometimes.)
Not a happy bunny and will be taking it to the dealers ( as advised by Honda) a.s.a.p.
You taken pics of flaking paint you could share, please?

Posiden

May 25, 2015
I will do when i get chance. Its only a tiny flake of paint near the weld on the frame, BUT, on a bike with only 900 miles on the clock ypu begin to wonder whats this thing going to look like in two years?

Jan 31, 2016
Manchester UK
We take a gamble with a brand new bike and slightly do a bit of testing. I'm sure Honda will sort out any issues and we have 2 years warranty
The new Africa twin is a brilliant bike, best bike I've had in 38 years of bike ownership, I never got a Yamaha 350LC.

Regards

motacyclist

May 11, 2016
Ellesmere Port
Well took the loan bike back and picked up my bike last Wednesday and I must say I'm glad they had no extras in stock. The standard screen is fine and I've fitted the Oxford Hot Grips, which come with a smart sensor which detects when the bike isn't running and powers down the grips; this means they can be wired straight to the battery. So saved a load of cash there and the Oxford ones are much hotter the the ones that Honda fit.

I ran the power supply for the grips up to the cockpit and made up an adaptor so I could take a 12v supply for the sat nav from it. I managed to fiddle this so it comes up through the grommet where the Honda 12v socket is supposed to go; so saved the money on the Honda fitment. I slid the various connectors for the grips and the excess wiring inside a length of bicycle inner tube.

This afternoon I fitted a Scottoiler, there is a bespoke version for the AT, and it fits very neatly. I was a bit taken aback when I read the instructions as the first thing it says is to remove the petrol tank, this is quite involved so not to be undertaken lightly! (Tip: you don't need to remove the tank completely; I couldn't disconnect the quick release fuel line so ended up just propping the tank up to get at the vacuum lines. A second pair of hands would have helped here but I managed it on my own).

Done about 420 miles on the new bike now and it seems to run much more sweetly and smoothly than the loan bike I had. Next project will be engine and tank bars - Hepco & Becker possibly.

Reactions: PathRider

Posiden

May 25, 2015
So I ordered the Touratech engine bars only to find that there not in stock and could be several weeks before delivery.
That was a few weeks ago.
I thought Touratech would be up to speed with all their Africa Twin parts by now but apparently not.
Seriously thinking of cancelling the order now.

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
So I ordered the Touratech engine bars only to find that there not in stock and could be several weeks before delivery.
That was a few weeks ago.
I thought Touratech would be up to speed with all their Africa Twin parts by now but apparently not.
Seriously thinking of cancelling the order now.
Everything for the AT by TT is basically 3 months delivery. They have a stickle of parts here and there, but they are by far the slowest to order from. I ordered a bash plate from them and still not arrived yet, that was 2 months ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eros.krisztian

Jan 24, 2016
HU
today, got a message on my email that the engine bar i ordered from touratech is on it's way to my house.
Lucky boy. Ordered in February and still nothing. Last week I moved to SW Motech and Givi. Of corse dhey don't fit together. But solvable.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-G900F eszközömről

Posiden

May 25, 2015
So my Touratech lower crash bars landed today.
First impressions are good quality and very strong.
I began installation by first removing the aluminium bash guard to gain access to the bolts either side of the engine that take the rear brackets. You need two 14mm combination spanners to slacken the bolts off the 5mm required to slide in the attachment plates .
Easy enough on the right side, didn't get to do the left side (see below.)
The two front brackets are held on by an 8mm and 10mm bolt, the top bolt is 10 mm goes through the engine mount.
The bottom bolt is 8mm and goes through the frame.
According to the TouraTech instructions the bottom 8mm bolt should be, and is 100mm long.
The top bolt is the 10mm bolt and should be 110mm long,
BUT IT ISNT.
Its 100mm long and isn't long enough to go through both plates and the engine.
So Ive had to temporarily put the bike back together and will be on the phone tomorrow to see why they have Fugged up again.
It will probably take 3 days for them to send me another bolt so I may as well get one from the local hardware store instead.

Hassle I don't need and a 1 hour job turns into a 3 hour job. Glad I wasn't paying someone to do this for me at £45 per hour !!!

TouraTech= Disapointing.

Posiden

May 25, 2015
So i got another bolt for 59p. Completed the assembly tonight and cant stress enough- put some molyslip or other lubricant on the bolts before assembly or the bolts will bind and pick up and will then be an adsolute nightmare to sort.
Theres a slight misalignment in it all so i would start all the bolts in thier holes before tightening anything up.
Once fitted its is really solid and looks good. Shame it took two days to fit.

motacyclist

May 11, 2016
Ellesmere Port
Finally decided to go with the Hepco & Becker engine and fairing bars after seeing black ones on a bike at the dealers when mine went in for service. However, I thought the stainless ones might be a better bet so I ordered them and was surprised how quickly they arrived. I was pleased how well the bars fitted and the only modding I had to do was to shorten one of the bolts under the engine as I thought it might have fouled the casing.

Here are some pics:

IMG_1288.jpg IMG_1290.jpg IMG_1285.jpg IMG_1287.jpg

Reactions: jde95tln

Posiden

May 25, 2015
The hepco and becker bars look nicely made.
touratech still havent been back to me regarding the short bolt supplied with thier engine bars.....thought they weremeant to be a reputable company.

I was in Keswick on friday and say two tricolour AFs getting fuel. Hope they had a good run out.

Posiden

May 25, 2015
Mine has 1300 miles on it but is doing just over 50 mpg according to the computer. I running with a Remus exhaust and think this may be affecting the mpg slighty, but it sounds great and goes like stink!

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu