Whats your news?

CJG61

Jan 21, 2016
GB
My insurer said the bike wasn't yet rated and came back to me later on to say it had been sorted out, however they won't insure my two bikes together!

Lukas4

Nov 29, 2015
Dunstable
Hastings £520

2 years NCD
500 excess
5000 miles a year

For another £30 I can have legal cover and helmet&leatherd cover
£20 personal accident

Found through confused.com

Will ring them up, maybe can get legal cover and personal accident in price

Posiden

May 25, 2015
The English Lake District
Update on the 'Limited Edition' Freebies :-

Ive been told today that the Tripmaster and the 'Dakar' book are supplied direct from Honda UK and don't come from the dealers.

They are sent out after the bike has been registered with Honda. So you will probably have to pay the fitting yourself!

Apparently the UK have now sold over 350 Africa Twins so no more freebies are available.

My dealer sold 4 AT's last week after people went out on test rides.

Think he's onto a good thing..........

DavyF

Dec 19, 2015
Northern Ireland
According to my dealer, Honda UK upped their order from Japan to 800 bikes with 600 already sold (including dealer demo bikes). And.....they sold 10 AT's last week (first week on general sale).

CJG61

Jan 21, 2016
GB
According to my dealer, Honda UK upped their order from Japan to 800 bikes with 600 already sold (including dealer demo bikes). And.....they sold 10 AT's last week (first week on general sale).
I went in today to pay for mine and looking on the order books there was one bike left to order out of the 800!

Reactions: The_Precious_Juice

Posiden

May 25, 2015
Got my bike delivered today.
So ive been in the garage for an hour 'fiddling' with the new bike.
Things ive found:-
1. The range of adjustment on the front brake lever is very good from small hands to large.
2. The tools kit needs a T wrench type allen key to get it out as the bolts are so recessed under the frame you wont get them off with a normal allen key.
3. The tool kits consists of a couple of open ended spanners, a wrench, a screw driver and a spark plug spanner......not the best quality and not the quality of tools you get with a KTM.
4. Look at your suspension before you ride it. Ive had this before on other bikes and is always a bit of a personal crusade for me as i have had folk saying it handles crap etc only to find the suspension is all over the place.
I found that one fork leg had one turn more on the preload than the other and also had different compression and rebound settings ( easy fix and not the dealers fault.) Rear suspension was set up correctly to standard settings except there was 3 clicks to much preload on it.
5. Front tyre was at 22 psi and not 29psi as per the book. Rear was correct at 36 psi.
6. There is a little bit of room under the seat for another tool kit spare plugs etc.
7. I havent figured out where the 4 spark plugs are!
8. I hadnt seen it before but the CAT is hidden behind the right hand foot peg plastic screen thing. This may affect how a slip on exhaust can meets up to the main pipe. The main exhaust can looks bloody heavy.
9. The rear grab rail has a load limit of 10kg (theres a sticker on it.)

Cant think of anything else and the above are purely my own observations.
Im now going for a little lie down.

Day two of Africa Twin ownership.

I wasnt happy with the rear brake position as I like to sit forward with my toes pointing down slightly. Simple job to slacken off and remove the brake pedal and rotate it down one notch on the spline shaft and nip it back up ( added some moly slip grease while i was at it.) adjusted the piston while there.
I Also felt the handle bars were slightly to far down for my liking. So i undid the bolts and rotated them forward slighty and nipped back up.
Happy now

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Precious_Juice

Posiden

May 25, 2015
Does anyone know how to get the left hand side front plastics off so i can run in my gps power cable?
I have removed all the allen screws and pop fasters all the way back to the tank but dont want to snap anything trying to get it off.
I love the way Honda have hidden everything behind the fairing, its very tidy and neat, but i need to take it off to run a cable !

wytco0

Jan 22, 2016
Norwich
Does anyone know how to get the left hand side front plastics off so i can run in my gps power cable?
I have removed all the allen screws and pop fasters all the way back to the tank but dont want to snap anything trying to get it off.
I love the way Honda have hidden everything behind the fairing, its very tidy and neat, but i need to take it off to run a cable !
Hi Posiden sorry can't help but I am about to try and install my
garmin zumo390 I was hoping to find a switched supply near the front of the bike, have you found anything? Please post how you connect yours. Thanks

Posiden

May 25, 2015
I got the accessory socket fitted (for £50!) and saw a photo of it with an orange/red colour plug on it that appeared to clip straight into the loom within about 3 inches of the socket location. I was going to tee into those wires with a couple of scotch blocks. The wired supply to the socket is rated to 0.1 A but i think thats enough to keep your phone charged and power your gps.
I was going to plug straight into the socket but that leaves wires all over the place.

zoeff50

Jan 31, 2016
NL - Assen
Orderded the AT Thursday Jan 28. Specs are CRF1000LAD (ABS, DCT, color CRF Rally red (Victory red), center stand, top/ pizzacase. No touring windshield yet, because reports say that the std screen is very effective (screent type is patented I understood). The AT's are not supplied yet in The Netherlands, will arrive mid-end of March. A 1st demo (DCT) will arrive at the dealer early March, next I will test the bike to see how the windshield works. I prefer to keep the bike "clean" and original. Std exhaust seems to be very good, good deep sound, not too loud.
My current bike is the Honda NC700X-DCT. I added some accessories, mainly for practical reasons. Added a rear hugger to keep the back and especially the rear shock absorber clean. Also added an extension for the front mudguard (extenda fenda). Modern mudguards are not mudguards anymore, too short. I asked Pyramid Plastics supplier in the UK if and when they will supply an extende fenda for the ATBikePenR2.jpg ExtendaFenda.jpg (see picture for a typical example). The rear shock absorber on the AT is properly protected by a mud flap.
A topcase is not the nicest looking item on a bike, but I will miss the storage compartment of the NC700X (the so called "frunk"). You can easily remove the topcase if you don't need it.
I do not need side cases yet because I am not planning long trips. If necessary I will use the topcase and a bag strapped on the back seat.
Also ordered a special bracket for my Garmin Zumo390. The bracket is mounted on the horizontal part of the frame of the windshield (see picture).
That will be it for the time being. Waiting on a call of the dealer somewhere end of March. Not in a rush, because I am driving in winter time with all the salt on the road.BikePenR2.jpg BikePenR2.jpg

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu