Whats your news?

zoeff50

Jan 31, 2016
NL - Assen
The front fender on the africa twin is far longer than those found on most modern bikes.
I know that, I have seen the bike at the dealer. Discussed it with the dealer: when you draw a line from the outside of the tyre along the lwr end of the front fender, you will see where all the **** thrown up will end. You can also see that on some video's on YouTube. I do not like that.The current best front fender you will find on the latest Suzuki V-Strom 1000. Some people do not like such a long (old school) front fender, but it is black, you hardly notice it. Wait how Pyramid Plastic will reply. I expect a negative reply however, because the demand will probably be very low. May be I can modify an existing extender which comes closest in size. No rush, I will have a look around.

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
I got the accessory socket fitted (for £50!) and saw a photo of it with an orange/red colour plug on it that appeared to clip straight into the loom within about 3 inches of the socket location. I was going to tee into those wires with a couple of scotch blocks. The wired supply to the socket is rated to 0.1 A but i think thats enough to keep your phone charged and power your gps.
I was going to plug straight into the socket but that leaves wires all over the place.
Yeah I'd like to see how you are doing this. I'm doing research on additional parts to be purchased with the bike, and I also run a zumo 390, I'd like to know how others are taping into the power to charge their units.
I have the battery attachment with the zumo, but that attachment is always on, because it's direct connect to battery. I'd like to know how to tap the power as it is easy with my bonneville, by just taping into the parking light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posiden

May 25, 2015
The English Lake District
I attached this link from another africatwin forum:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyvnoXdpn38

at the six minute mark you see the mechanic taking the full front of the fairing off in one go to get to the air filters. Think that is my route in to running a power supply. I was also thinking of running my Optimate battery charger leads up to the front but they go back as far as the battery and thats another story (probably need the tank off and its pretty crammed under there already.)
I just have to go and figure it out now.
Will post some photos asap.

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
Also ordered a special bracket for my Garmin Zumo390. The bracket is mounted on the horizontal part of the frame of the windshield (see picture).
That is one expensive bracket. It's nearly half the price of the navi.

zoeff50

Jan 31, 2016
NL - Assen
That is one expensive bracket. It's nearly half the price of the navi.

It is made out of solid aluminum, never cheap. But it looks great and it is located at the best position for the Navi. On my NC700X I used the std Ram Mount which sits on the steering bar, not an ideal place as I experinced in practise. You have to move your head up and down to see the navi. Behind the screen is much more safe. It is not cheap, but compared to the costs of the AT here (EUR 16,100 for the tri-color DCT model), it is peanuts.

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
but compared to the costs of the AT here (EUR 16,100 for the tri-color DCT model), it is peanuts.
EUR 16100! That is madness. And I thought the German pieces were a rip off compares to the US$.
I'll be paying EUR 14100 for the Tri colour, with extras like main stand on top.

Ps. I think Touratech makes a bar mount unit which is fairly high up. I'll try and look for it and post it here when I'm on the desktop.

zoeff50

Jan 31, 2016
NL - Assen
EUR 16100! That is madness. And I thought the German pieces were a rip off compares to the US$.
I'll be paying EUR 14100 for the Tri colour, with extras like main stand on top.

Ps. I think Touratech makes a bar mount unit which is fairly high up. I'll try and look for it and post it here when I'm on the desktop.

Prices in The Netherlands are EUR 2000 higher than in Germany and Belgium; all to do with TAX.
NL prices for the tri-color ABS version is EUR 14,900 and with DCT EUR 16,200. To add are handling and delivery cost of the dealer of EUR 400.
I ordered the bike with a top case, main stand and the special navi support for a total price of EUR 17,500.

I would not tell you what a full spec H-D is costing here; 2x

Have a nice weekend and take a beer...

Ti04

Jan 31, 2016
Texas
Just an update.

Just stopped into that same dealer yesterday when I just happened to be in the area while at work. That same sales guy stated that he called Honda Canada after my first visit and left a message, and he is still waiting for a reply. He said he has no other info. He still has not heard of the Africa Twin. He again mentioned that he is yet to check out the Honda Canada Website.

JMarleau = Still Empty Handed

You might want to look for a different dealer.........

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
Strange. I've been reading other forums and people are making it sound pretty easy...

Posiden

May 25, 2015
My Touratech luggage rack arrived today and is very nice BUT the stainless steel bolts picked up on the nuts and seized up before i had got them anywhere near being nipped up. This resulted in me having to shear off the two seized bolts. I applied some Molyslip grease to the reamaining two bolts and they torqued up no problem. I wll source some more M6 counter sunk bolts next week from the local merchants but this isnt what i expected from Touratech.
I phoned the store and they are going to investigate if i just had some bad bolts or they are all like that.
On a plus side the rack is very nice.

Posiden

May 25, 2015
My GPS bracket. Its for a TomTom 400.
Ive modified the bracket by chopping off both of the balls and by drilling through and tapping to M5 and screwing both bits together. Means you dont need the balls and connector arm and saves about 75 mm of armature that i didnt need.

Attachments

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu