When a five minute task.............

JimInOz

Jul 28, 2018
Melbourne AU
Turns into a slightly bigger one.

I wanted to secure my GPS mount to the screen cross bar so I removed the screen. No problems.
Used two cable ties to secure the mount. No problems.
Put the screen on and inserted the top two screws a couple of turns. No Problems.
Inserted one of the bottom screws a couple of turns. Yep, no problems.
Inserted the last screw and was jiggling it lightly to engage the thread when it all went loose and I heard the soft "bump bump bump" as the screw and grommet fell into the insides.

:mad:

So this is where we are now.

AT strip.JPG

I had to do the full thing sooner or later so I guess it's now sooner.

PS: Just joined so I'll do an intro later.

Cheers

Jim

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
At least you now know how the body work comes off.

Turns into a slightly bigger one.

I wanted to secure my GPS mount to the screen cross bar so I removed the screen. No problems.
Used two cable ties to secure the mount. No problems.
Put the screen on and inserted the top two screws a couple of turns. No Problems.
Inserted the last screw and was jiggling it lightly to engage the thread when it all went loose and I heard the soft "bump bump bump" as the screw and grommet fell into the insides.

:mad:

So this is where we are now.

View attachment 1461

I had to do the full thing sooner or later so I guess it's now sooner.

PS: Just joined so I'll do an intro later.

Cheers

Jim

Reactions: superfunkomatic

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Been there, done that!

After awhile removing the body work to retrieve a dropped item is almost fun!

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: egary1974

jbird710

Mar 7, 2018
League City, Texas
Did the same thing when I installed the tall windshield. i got lucky and the grommet fell through to the garage floor.

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Changed to high Winshield and have T Shirt for dropped Grommet.

Now I want to hook up my Becker Navi to power source , it will all have to come off again
I could murder the penny saving idiot at Honda that left us without a 12V Socket.

jbird710

Mar 7, 2018
League City, Texas
Yeah, right there with you. I made a special bracket to mount my Garmin GPS holder the the Camel brace nearly a month ago, but haven’t installed it for not wanting to deal with those grommets.

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
I finally sorted my 12 volt supply by T off from the supply spare plug located over right driving lamp , I presume this spare socket in loom is for some option I don't have , possibly heated grips ?

jerryhymer

May 17, 2018
Kazoo
Inserted the last screw and was jiggling it lightly to engage the thread when it all went loose and I heard the soft "bump bump bump" as the screw and grommet fell into
I know this is an old thread but anyone removing their windscreen should read the manual and save themselves this same pain. In removing the windscreen, you remove the top 2 bolts and only loosen the 2 lower bolts. The screen will drop in the bracket slot and the well nuts pull out as you pull the screen off. To re-install the screen just reverse this. You’ll never have to tear the bike apart for this again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shadowjack

JimInOz

Jul 28, 2018
Melbourne AU
I know this is an old thread but anyone removing their windscreen should read the manual and save themselves this same pain. In removing the windscreen, you remove the top 2 bolts and only loosen the 2 lower bolts. The screen will drop in the bracket slot and the well nuts pull out as you pull the screen off. To re-install the screen just reverse this. You’ll never have to tear the bike apart for this again.

What manual are you referencing?
My owner manual has nothing about this and I find no mention of the process you mentioned in my service manual.

jerryhymer

May 17, 2018
Kazoo
What manual are you referencing?
My owner manual has nothing about this and I find no mention of the process you mentioned in my service manual.
Well, I guess there’s egg on my face regarding the manual statement. I thought I’d read it in the manual a couple of years ago (I have a ‘16). It could have been from a dealer service bulletin to techs, but I don’t remember. Anyway, after trying out my “google foo” there are several forums, including this one that have owners describing the same method. I have removed my windscreen over a dozen times and it has always worked for me.
Ride hard and ride safe!

JimInOz

Jul 28, 2018
Melbourne AU
No probs, egg comes off easy.
I had to pull it all apart to fit the 12VDC socket anyway.
At least I'm clued up for future screen changes.

JimInOz

Jul 28, 2018
Melbourne AU
No, not even Honda have figured it out.

It's just one of those tricks that the users come up with. I wish I could remember them all ;).

HSIB.png

Hardtop

Gold Rider
Dec 12, 2018
Albany, Oregon
Well, I have joined the crowd. I had read this and though it would never happen to me. Had the fairings off to wire a USB port and GPS. Dropped one of the hex bolts and it went into the front area. When I loosened the front fairing I heard the bolt bounce off the front fender and off the exhaust pipe to end up landing inside the skid plate. GREAT! I removed the skid plate to retrieve the bolt. I decided to leave the skid plate off just in case. Got everything back to the point of installing the windshield and - - - -. This time the rubber grommet at least landed on the floor!

Reactions: Admin and belrix

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu