Will the tube-type AX41 work on the AT?

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I noticed today that Bridgestone offers the AX41 as a tube-type in the AT wheel sizes! Should these work on the AT or are they aim at a lighter machine?

Here is a comparison

Tire Size Load Rating Speed Rating Tube Type / Tubeless
================================================================
3.00-21 51-430lbs P-93mph TUBETYPE
90/90-21M/C 54-467lbs Q-99mph TUBELESS

4.60-18 63-600lbs P-93mph TUBETYPE
150/70B18M/C 70-739lbs Q-99mph TUBELESS

The reduction in speed does not bother me, I rarely go over 75mph, but kind of worried about the reduction in load on the rear tire. I ride solo and for the ride to Get On! ADV Fest I will be carrying a light load.

Thoughts? The tube-type are inexpensive!

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I noticed today that Bridgestone offers the AX41 as a tube-type in the AT wheel sizes! Should these work on the AT or are they aim at a lighter machine?

Here is a comparison

Tire Size Load Rating Speed Rating Tube Type / Tubeless
3.00-21 51-430lbs P-93mph TUBETYPE
90/90-21M/C 54-467lbs Q-99mph TUBELESS

4.60-18 63-600lbs P-93mph TUBETYPE
150/70B18M/C 70-739lbs Q-99mph TUBELESS

The reduction in speed does not bother me, I rarely go over 75mph, but kind of worried about the reduction in load on the rear tire. I ride solo and for the ride to Get On! ADV Fest I will be carrying a light load.

Thoughts? The tube-type are inexpensive!

Educated myself and the answer is no these will not work on the AT

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Educated myself and the answer is no these will not work on the AT
Hmmmm....why not?
The specs you posted were very similar. Or, we're you posting the Africa Twin tyre specs.
I bought a new/never used set of Avon tubeless tyres which came off a KTM 790.
The sizes are identical, only difference is the speed rating of the Avon tyres, they are one speed rating higher than the OEM Metzler Karoo Africa Twin DCT non adventure model 2020.
Of course, I will have to use my tunes, and that will knock the speed rating down by one rating.
I really don't like the OEM tyres on my 2020 Africa Twin DCT non adventure model. These Metzlers (tube type) have far too large if a gap in the tread.
I had my first flat tyre at only 2,700 kilometers....dang!!! Obviously something that I ran over was able to penetrate the tyre and I suspect it was the area closest to the tube.
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
The Dennis Kirk tire finder shows AX41 as tubeless or tube allowed in the AT metric sizes. I did not look for the Imperial sizes, why bother? There's no issue with using tubes in tubeless tires.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I believe the tires will be too narrow for the AT rims, the front is might work but the rear would be too pinched. I need to stop trying to save some money and just buy the correct size tire!!!

:)

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Well, yes always advisable to use the correct tyres, oil filters and whatever.
As mentioned earlier, I got lucky and found a set of unused/new tyres off a KTM 790.
Same size, load, speed ratings increase of one. Only difference is I will have to use my tunes in thee KTM tubless tyres....'come on Honda why not equip all models with tubeless tyres?
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Africamike

May 26, 2021
South Africa
I've been using the tubed Bridgestone Battlax AX41 on my 2019 ATAS on the rear since I bought the bike. Brilliant tyre and gives a good range at about 8000km's (150-70/18). My riding is primarily offroad through rural South Africa.

Kinga on her YouTube channel 'OnHerBike' uses them for overland travel with great success.

Like all tyres with an aggressive tread pattern they wear quickly in the tarmac but for offroad the AX41 is a great choice.

Sent from my S58Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: belrix

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Thanks to everyone for replies and comments, I went ahead and picked up another Mitas E-07+ for my trip. The E-07+ is hard to beat for my riding style

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu