Windscreen problems - buffeting and noise

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
If you're 6'2", or around that, then you've probably had similar issues. For me, above 40mph this bike becomes unrideable.

I don't know quite how Honda made it so good for some and so bad for taller units like me - but it's bad.

I'm now on my 4th screen configuration and I honestly feel like I just want to throw this bike in a river and walk away.
So disappointed. I think I need help or the bike is going.

OEM Screen
Looks ok, good low speed, useless above 40mph with the seat in any position no matter how I sit.
Extreme blindness inducing buffeting and deafening wind noise.

OEM screen with Batzen bracket
Looks good but performs the same.
Increases lid fogging due to decreased lower airflow.
Extreme buffeting and unbearable turbulant wind noise.

Givi D1144ST tall screen
Looks tall and changes the look and feel of the bike.
Cuts off airflow to the lid vents so fogging is a constant problem - visor has to stay open.
Top of screen is constantly in my eye line and the first few inches distort the view of the road.
Seat in low position - a bubble of respite if I squish myself down behind the screen but I can't ride like that.
Seat in high position - less extreme buffetting than the OEM but still a deafening wind noise.

So far, with all three of these setups, I have to keep fully standing up every few minutes just to give my head and ears a rest. Better even at 80mph.

Givi D1144ST tall screen with Batzen bracket
I've fitted the Givi screen to the Batzen bracket but this looks so tall (even in its lowest position) that I'm nervous about the leverage on the screen frame if I adjust it to be any higher. There's plenty of stories about how weak the frames are. I will try it though and see what breaks.

I haven't taken the bike out with this setup yet - I was too frustrated with it last night and had to get off it. The money and time I've wasted buying this Honda mistake is starting to burn me up and it's never good to ride with the red mist looming. I almost threw the bike on the floor at a set of lights and walked away.

Not sure where to go from here. Even if this last daft setup is better I'm going to be left sat behind a giant screen I cant see over. No airflow, fully fogging up lid. That's not riding a bike. That's just silly.

So, I think I'm left with only 2 options - and I'm desperatly seeking a third.

1. Cut one of the screens down to be as close to not having one as possible
2. Fight the urge to set light to the bike and sell it at a financial loss as quickly as possible

I was so excited about getting this bike. Put everything I had into it. Now I honestly wish I'd never seen it.

Anyone got a third option to save the day?

Note: I ride with a 2017 Arai QV touring lid. It's not a quiet lid but it copes on my Hayabusa at (cough) higher speeds, without anywhere near the same noise issue. So I'm thinking I can probably rule that out?

Attachments

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Get the swegotech fork hole shield, night and day difference, I'm 6-2 and the bike was un-rideable till I got one they are only like $30 USD

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Just bought what is probably the same thing by a different name from here.

Gotta be worth a try for the price. Cheers @RItwin 👍

Also considering a try of the other Givi AF1144 adjustable so I'm not looking through the screen when the going is slow.

.... or just carry a collection of screens with me so I can stop and change them as the traffic flow / terrain changes. 😂

Will report back.

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
I'm 6-1 or so and all I had to do to get the wind off my head is get the OEM tall screen. I don't feel air coming up around the forks, and only sidewinds catch my helmet peak. I still get wind roar, but it's not what it was. You want total wind protection, try a Goldwing. Those are like sitting in a cockpit.

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
I'm not after total wind protection @Shadowjack - far from it - I ride a bike for a reason and my lid needs airflow to stop the fogging.

For my height the screens I've tried (with or without adjustable bracket) are worse than having no screen at all.

Out of curiosity, have you stood up at speed? Not Evel Knievel style, just poked your head up away from the screen?

I'd be curious to see if you think the wind roar noise is better when the screen is doing nothing vs when it's doing its "job".

It's smooth clean quiet air up there for me vs being in the turbulent air the screen makes.

Last edited:

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England

Gotta be worth a try for the price. Cheers @RItwin 👍

Also considering a try of the other Givi AF1144 adjustable so I'm not looking through the screen when the going is slow.

.... or just carry a collection of screens with me so I can stop and change them as the traffic flow / terrain changes. 😂

Will report back.
I had the Givi Airflow on a Tiger 800XC and a V-Strom 650 (the pretty one)
Worked really well for me on both bikes, rode with visor up at all speeds
Made all the difference and not only can you adjust it to suit the wind/your size, but adjust low in summer and high when wet or cold
Or just remove the front piece and leave the base on in summer (still works well, get wind but not turbulence)

One of the reasons I think it worked well for me was that it was wider than the other screens
Someone else mentioned that it is the width that can make a lot of difference

But I have heard that not all buyers are happy with them

I may get one for my Africa Twin
Have only just got it so not done a lot yet
If I do purchase, will let you know what happens

Hope this helps

Reactions: Majesthor

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Ordered the Givi Airflow adjustable. Should have it by the weekend.

I will report back - then should have a collection of screens available for sale - maybe even a bike 😂

Reactions: BlackRockFox

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
Ordered the Givi Airflow adjustable. Should have it by the weekend.

I will report back - then should have a collection of screens available for sale - maybe even a bike 😂
Oh excellent, hope you didn't just order because of my post o_O, but don't think you will be disappointed
I will be surprised if you dont get on with it, but if you don't let me know

Have just contacted Wolfgang (Batzen) to check prices, he really is quick, one minute reply, and he was at work
His solution is very popular with great customer service, but tempted to go with what I know

I used to work in the MC trade so got to try loads of bikes and loads of accessories
And can honestly say that the Airflow was the most impressive piece of kit I ever tried
I was absolutely blown away by it on the Tiger XC, or rather, I wasn't...:rolleyes:

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
hehe no don't worry @BlackRockFox it was ordered before I saw your post :)

Reactions: BlackRockFox

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA

Gotta be worth a try for the price. Cheers @RItwin

.... or just carry a collection of screens with me so I can stop and change them as the traffic flow / terrain changes.

Will report back.
The fork shield will by no means STOP the wind but what it will do is stop the buffeting off of your helmet and the blurred vision that comes with it making the helmets vents work properly, my twin was un-rideable befor I got it ,I run just the stock windscreen and the fork shield and no buffeting, just clean air when I pick my head up and if I duck down a few inches no wind, works perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I regularly stand fully at highway speeds, it’s tough at anything over 75MPH because the windscreen prevents leaning any further forward, totally quiet and no buffeting. Try a shorter screen. I’m 6’1” and the Puig short screen works real good for me.

I'm not after total wind protection @Shadowjack - far from it - I ride a bike for a reason and my lid needs airflow to stop the fogging.

For my height the screens I've tried (with or without adjustable bracket) are worse than having no screen at all.

Out of curiosity, have you stood up at speed? Not Evel Knievel style, just poked your head up away from the screen?

I'd be curious to see if you think the wind roar noise is better when the screen is doing nothing vs when it's doing its "job".

It's smooth clean quiet air up there for me vs being in the turbulent air the screen makes.

Reactions: inexorable

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
I'm 6ft , I found the OEM screen for the CRF L a joke , however you will note from my Avatar I was already using a Touratec comfort screen on my old XRV (seen left ) , my solution was the same as shadowjacks but at 339 € the Adventure screen here in DE is certainly not cheap. I also added the Adventure seat as I also needed to get the knee bend angle significantly reduced.

When riding at 100 kmh I am more or less protected , but anything over 120 kmh still makes riding with a cross helm visor very
wood-peckerish , ( In German "Specht" )

I have to say , in a direct comparison the XRV offered by far better protection, this does not stop at the screen
this comment critic is also aimed at the fairing as a whole unit and the hand guards .
I never needed grip heating before even down to -10°C for my 26 km trip to work , now I moaning at plus 6°C . I also find my upper body is buffeted and cooled as far more air than I am used to passes under the fairing and up through ahead of the handlebars ,
I'm considering to blank off this area and maybe also add some deflectors to the fairing sides. Having said all of this , the CRF is fine on a summer days ride, its just a shame that Honda engineers didn't do a bit more wind tunnel testing for us European sized winter riders.

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
Standing at highway speeds is just too much work :), but I have when my butt gets tired. I rode naked bikes for quite a long time (still have a couple), and full airflow over my helmet is always very loud, whether it's my Neotec or Hornet X2, to the point that it drowns out my helmet speakers. But maybe where I live here on the Great Plains has something to do with it; with the constant winds we get, and it's always a headwind :mad:, airspeed can be 15-30 mph faster than groundspeed.
I was at the midpoint of a 4000-mile tour last summer when I had time to order the tall shield from Honda. It really was noticeable on the return trip. I never have noticed what I would call "buffeting" unless there was a strong gusty sidewind; just the constant pressure and noise.

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
I think unless you make the screen wider ( as some aftermarket have done ), that you will continue to feel the constant pressure.
My next attempt to reduce the buffeting will be to block some of the air rising under the handlebars , this is fairly cheap to do with a forkshield ( plate / 4 screws) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112325411795

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Received my forkshield / air dam plastic thingy. Put it on and went out for a test ride in the thick fog last night. Gotta love riding through clouds!

Things were different - not fixed but different - but I made a rookie mistake by having three untested changes all at the same time so I don't know which was doing what. Still had dangerous fogging issues and I can't live with a screen this tall - but there is hope - different means changeable and that might mean fixable.

So, three changes:

- I had the Givi DS1144ST fitted to the Batzen bracket on its lowest setting (still an inch higher)
- I bought, liked, tested and now love the silly over priced Alpine MotoSafe ear plugs (I'll make a review post)
- RuggedRoads Air Dam / ForkShield plastic thingy installed - with infuriating fixings (I'll make a review post)

So, could have been the screen/bracket combo, could have been the air dam thing (though I doubt it) or could have been the fantastic ear plugs - or all three - dunno - but something was indeed better!

Soooooo this post was pointless then - nothng useful to report - but I rode through clouds in the dark and that's important! ;)

I'll do some proper testing at the weekend and write up a full, hopefully helpful, post.

My list of stuff to test with now includes:

OEM screen
Batzen Bracket
Givi DS1144ST tall touring screen
Givi AF1144 adjustable screen
Arai QV touring lid
Arai (probably a chaser or something - older one) lid
Cheapy Oxford EARSOFT FX ear plugs (I've got a bucket load of them)
New Alpine MotoSafe Pro ear plugs (medium - normal quiet)
New Alpine MotoSafe Pro ear plugs (high - race - super quiet)
Africa Twin - because life isn't complicated or expensive enough (great new tagline for Honda) 😂
Hayabusa - for (cough) high speed wind noise comparison tests

Fingers crossed that in there somewhere is the answer! 👍

Last edited:

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
.... or not :mad:

Just got a notification that the eBay seller I'm getting the adjustable Givi screen from has let me down - they said I would receive it today. So, I won't have the screen for weekend testing after all. Not impressed "newcastlemotorcycles". I'll test the rest though.

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Hmmmmm.. yeah I have got a pinlock (and have used them in the past) but haven't really needed one before with this lid. Which is handy because over the years I've noticed the Arai lids can be remarkably difficult to open in a panic.

Last night for instance, riding through thick foggy cloud in the dark while testing the screen at close to 80mph. I closed the visor to see what difference it made to things and it instantly fogged up to 100% opacity. Total blackout. Really made me jump. For a good few moments there it was pretty funny as I screamed like a girl shouted in a manly tone at the visor to open while fumbling around blindly trying to find the tiny little bit you can get a bit of glove into to push it up. I miss my old cheap lids with a little sticky-outy bit. 😂

Maybe with the new super-duper ear plugs to combat the wind roar I might be able to go back to a sensible size screen and get some airflow back (if the air dam is helping the head wobble I mean). I will test all combinations and see. If not - thanks for the reminder it will be a good fallback. 👍

Last edited:

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
lol .... go for it 😂

Maybe nice and slow for a while - and DON'T try to grab it if it flies off. 👍

I don't think mine gets quite that close to the forks / bars - hopefully it won't jam up if it comes loose.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu