Windscreen problems - buffeting and noise

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Hang on Mr. RITwin - I've just read your post properly - you measure 6 feet and 2 inches tall and your head doesn't crack from the noise over 50mph????

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
I'm 183 cm ( 6ft 1 ) but I m sitting on a ATAS seat , so effective also at 185cm and although Id agree the CRF standard wind deflector was a joke I have managed to live with the ATAS one, I totally agree that too much air is still hitting my upper arms
but since I am using a carbon fork baffle mounted on the tank I don't feel as if the amount on my torso is unacceptable.

I get the bit about the wind catching the helmet peak, it can be annoying. If I pop my head up to far , at higher speed braking
but If I'm going faster than 160kmh* , which I don't do much on the knobbly Heidenau tires, then I have my head down quiet a bit anyway.

( * max speed for them and they wobble around horribly over that speed ).

I can't really follow the comment on the buffet noise either, :confused: Maybe I'm deaf already as the SD06 is a bit louder.

I can imagine though that many do use the bike for "faster" speeds ( for me that's above 140 kmh ) because its capable of it.
In my own case I recognise I'm travelling everywhere 30kmh faster than I did on the Africa Twin XRV.
I can't help thinking that if we are riding a go "nearly" anywhere adventure bike at 100 mph plus that to some extent we can't
expect the wind tunnel performance of a super bike.

Should the CRF 1000 be have been better in this respect YES I believe it so.
Could Honda do an Aero pack for tall riders , I'd have paid € 500 for that if it really helped.

Will the CRF still be running 30 years later with the same Qudos of its predecessor, only time will tell.

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
100mph + on this bike? wow not for me! - Not with any kind of tyre on it. I'm sure it can do it but I don't want to be on it - especially with inner tubes - lol

For me I think my max on the Africa Twin is 70-80mph - especially loaded - and that would be at a push.

When I talk about the noisy roar I'm talking at 50-60mph not 100. That's what makes me so mad.

Maybe this is just a perfectly terrible combination of bike, screen and lid. Hmmmm... I'm thinking test runs in the cheapest second hand lids I can get my hands on.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Hang on Mr. RITwin - I've just read your post properly - you measure 6 feet and 2 inches tall and your head doesn't crack from the noise over 50mph????
Hahahaha no, but i do admit it was unbearable before I put on the fork shield... since then no buffeting or vibration and the wind noise is ok it's by no means silent or quiet but I think the noise level being low is just a function of the helmet you wear and the sensitivity of your ears, just because a helmet is expensive and says a brand name down the side doesn't make it any better than the rest I've found the cheaper less high end helmets function just as good if not better than the more pricey well known options but dont take my word for it I just keep what works for me and toss the rest

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
When you're traveling at the speed of sound what do you expect?

I don't want silence - far from it - but I do want to be able to ride for longer than an hour without needing ear help - and that's with race spec ear plugs!

Took the 'busa out at the weekend for a rest. I can put a one in front of any number the Africa Twin does and feel nothing but pure clean air bliss. What a bike! If you've never ridden one - ride one before you hang up your boots. It will ruin rding any other bike but the throttle control and precision is like nothing else you'll ride. Designed in a wind tunnel they say - and it shows.

If only I wasn't so old and could ride it for longer than an hour without need help to get off - lol

Reactions: RItwin

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
100mph + on this bike? wow not for me! - Not with any kind of tyre on it. I'm sure it can do it but I don't want to be on it - especially with inner tubes - lol

For me I think my max on the Africa Twin is 70-80mph - especially loaded - and that would be at a push.

When I talk about the noisy roar I'm talking at 50-60mph not 100. That's what makes me so mad.

Maybe this is just a perfectly terrible combination of bike, screen and lid. Hmmmm... I'm thinking test runs in the cheapest second hand lids I can get my hands on.
Using same Cross-Helmet on the XRV with the touring screen ( as seen left )
I could sit for hours at 140 kmh ( a whole tank) without the wind bothering me even in the winter.

Last Autumns trip from the black forest on the SD06 up a motorway with a mate we sat for just 3 hours
coming home in 5-10 deg C at 150-160kmh my hands were frozen and my body was totally cooled out.
Even with the ATAS screen, it was still a most unpleasant experience, not least as my mate has a KTM 1290 and stepped off
as if it were summer. So undoubtedly the CRF is a windy experience.

Since then I have applied the Acerbis hand deflectors which were a huge Improvement for me.
I have since added the fork deflector baffle and this helps as well, at higher speeds you start to notice a Bernoulli effect which creates a good reduction in pressure / reduces buffeting of the mid chest area.

However even with all this I am (we are) still being hit on the upper arms and for me just above top of my cross helmet with a major amount of rough air. That's what you are obviously sitting right in the middle of.

The only other difference might be you are an inch taller and my ATAS seat tends to lift me up and somewhat backwards compared to the standard CRF one*. So I might be in a slightly different position of eddy.

See if you can borrow the ATAS seat perhaps that might move your head out of the buffeting ? I have used a bike every day to work for years and the last part of the trip is Autobahn at 130-150 kmh.
While I won't say its as comfortable as the XRV was at same speed. It's no longer unbearable even at 160 kmh.

Its therefore really a concern that you find it is at 120 kmh.

* I did this ATAS seat change as my knee's were killing me , the CRF SD06 pegs are far higher than the XRV's. Its still a bit painful if I'm out for 6 hour tour or one of several days duration , so the next step is to reduce the peg height itself.

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Tried on the Arai Tour X4 lid the other day. Nice. Pricey but nice.
Thought about investing in one to see if it helped with the noise but bottled it.... she'd notice ;)

Instead trying one last screen. Just ordered the middle sized VStream Sport/Tour N20058.

I was going to try the MRA but I just tried out the little MRA deflector thingy (at £75 !!!!) and it made little difference. Tried it on the stock screen, the Givi screens (cut down and adjustable) and combinations with and without the Batzen bracket.

So, going to see if I can get some of the good air that @superfunkomatic enjoys 👍

I'll update with how it goes and it will be on ebay soon if it's not a winner.

Echo15

Feb 26, 2019
Florida
I'm 5'11" but with short legs (think of the build of a orangutan) and this is the first bike with a reasonably sized wind screen that hasn't buffeted the bejesus out of my helmet. The screen on my old Triumph Tiger 1050 kept getting cut down until it was hardly there. Wind is OK as long as it is clean.

Reactions: inexorable

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
VStream fitted and tested. Haven't tried it with my Batzen bracket thingy yet - don't think there's much point. Just had to get off the bike or I would have thrown it in a ditch and walked away. This is a tiny snippet of life upon the Africa Twin wearing my 2018 Arai QV Pro touring lid (no peak).

The clip starts with bike doing 20mph and I only go up to 55mph gently (the ambulance is doing about 35mph). I stand up to show the blissful clean air away from the bike, dip quickly to show the contrast then drop your ears into the hell that is the space atop my Africa Twin. Ear warning: Watch at your own risk.

Turn the volume up to get the full effect - even with earplugs it's deafening at these speeds. And this is one of the BETTER screens.

I should note here that the microphone is up INSIDE the lid and it's the same with the visor open or closed.

This isn't normal for you lot right?

Freak combination of bad aerodynamics on the bike amplified by the Arai lid design (for good ventilation)?

Last edited:

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
From my experience on bikes with windshields, even the 08 Goldwing, is that there will be buffeting, I don't think it can be avoided. I also noticed that I get used to it and after a while don't notice it anymore. You just might be chasing unicorns.

VStream fitted and tested. Haven't tried it with my Batzen bracket thingy yet - don't think there's much point. Just had to get off the bike or I would have thrown it in a ditch and walked away. This is a tiny snippet of life upon the Africa Twin wearing my 2018 Arai QV Pro touring lid (no peak).

The clip starts with bike doing 20mph and I only go up to 55mph gently (the ambulance is doing about 35mph). I stand up to show the blissful clean air away from the bike, dip quickly to show the contrast then drop your ears into the hell that is the space atop my Africa Twin. Ear warning: Watch at your own risk.

Turn the volume up to get the full effect - even with earplugs it's deafening at these speeds. And this is one of the BETTER screens.

This isn't normal for you lot right?

Freak combination of bad aerodynamics on the bike amplified by the Arai lid design (for good ventilation)?

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
I think the "buffeting" is almost solved. I could choose a number of combinations of screen / bracket setups that greatly reduces the frantic head wobble (that's my definition of buffeting) - it's just the deafening noise (even with plugs) that I'm fighting with now. I'm thinking the Arai QV is good in clean air (which is why it's silent on the Hayabusa) but useless in the messy turbulance the AT creates (at my head height with any screen).

My next attempt will be to find the cheapest demo / loan lids I can. Fingers crossed a different lid will cope better with the turbulance. I will update as I go. Only managed 30 minutes on the AT yesterday - just couldn't cope with the noise. I'VE STILL ONLY DONE LESS THAN 1,000 MILES ON THIS THING SINCE NOVEMBER! Determined there must be a solution and I'm going to find it somehow - I just want to be able to ride it for longer than an hour without wanting to set it alight! 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: RItwin

Echo15

Feb 26, 2019
Florida
Wow! It's amazing how different our experiences are. For what it's worth, I use a Scorpion AT950 (usually without the peak) and have less buffeting and noise than I have had with any bike that wasn't truly naked.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Wow! It's amazing how different our experiences are. For what it's worth, I use a Scorpion AT950 (usually without the peak) and have less buffeting and noise than I have had with any bike that wasn't truly naked.
I don't know if I mentioned it earlier it I'm wearing a bilt explorer helmet with a sena smh 10 on one side and a gopro on the other

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
inexorable

It seems that you are having the same problems as me

I finally took my bike out with just the bottom part of the Airflow on and it is better than the OEM screen
But, when I put the top part on at it's lowest setting it was awful over 50
Got a violent head wobble. It was like being slapped across the head from side to side with air
Never had that before, had to remove the top part and put it in the topbox it was so bad

I think one of the problems might be that the screen is too close to upright viewed from the side
This is causing a similar thing to when wind hits a fence, turbulence is created behind the fence
Your Abuser has a more sloping screen which is less likely to cause turbulence

So, with that in mind, I set about inserting some spacers behind the lower 2 screws of the screen so as to have more of a slope
This was an improvement, but still not what I have achieved on my previous 2 bikes with the Airflow which was perfection

I am gonna try making one of the big butterfly type thingies that are for sale which go behind the forks

Then, if that don't work my next purchase may be the Palmer Products Windshield Adapter Kit (http://palmerproducts.co.uk)

I will let you know how it goes

I am sure you will let us know if you find a solution...good luck

Attachments

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
I had high hopes for the OEM 'visor' kit but it doesn't work either (at least for me).
So now I have tried, the Batzen, the swegotech, the OEM upper air deflectors, the OEM visor kit, the OEM standard screen, the OEM touring screen, two MRA screens, the MRA vario lip,..... and every combination possible of the above. Nothing made the slightest difference to the dreadful peak wobble and vibration.
However, fortunately I have a Madstad screen and this DOES work. I had hoped that the new visor kit would mean I could sell the Madstad as it was very expensive, but no, it's going to have to go back on as soon as I can get a screen brace from Vlad.
(I should say that I did get good results with a very cut down screen -almost no screen - but I have got spoilt now by not getting any rain or flies on my visor when using the Madstad, so I am returning to that. However, I am a bit disappointed with the paint finish on the Madstad hardware - it's all flaked off and I'm going to have to strip it and paint it properly.
Mike

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
I had high hopes for the OEM 'visor' kit but it doesn't work either (at least for me).
So now I have tried, the Batzen, the swegotech, the OEM upper air deflectors, the OEM visor kit, the OEM standard screen, the OEM touring screen, two MRA screens, the MRA vario lip,..... and every combination possible of the above. Nothing made the slightest difference to the dreadful peak wobble and vibration.
However, fortunately I have a Madstad screen and this DOES work. I had hoped that the new visor kit would mean I could sell the Madstad as it was very expensive, but no, it's going to have to go back on as soon as I can get a screen brace from Vlad.
(I should say that I did get good results with a very cut down screen -almost no screen - but I have got spoilt now by not getting any rain or flies on my visor when using the Madstad, so I am returning to that. However, I am a bit disappointed with the paint finish on the Madstad hardware - it's all flaked off and I'm going to have to strip it and paint it properly.
Mike
Any chance of some photos of the one that do work, the Madstad. And which size do you have as there are various sizes as far as I know

Is this you by any chance?, just looked at the website and you are right it is very expensive

"I'm very impressed with the screen. I have so far tried swegotech fork deflectors. Brazen screen risers. An Mra vario screen. A vario lip deflector the Oem touring screen and another shorty screen. Nothing worked but the Madstad has." - Mike, Great Britain

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
Any chance of some photos of the one that do work, the Madstad. And which size do you have as there are various sizes as far as I know

Is this you by any chance?, just looked at the website and you are right it is very expensive

"I'm very impressed with the screen. I have so far tried swegotech fork deflectors. Brazen screen risers. An Mra vario screen. A vario lip deflector the Oem touring screen and another shorty screen. Nothing worked but the Madstad has." - Mike, Great Britain
It is the 20 inch screen (I'm 5'10" with an inside leg of 31.5 inches)
Here's a pic of the bike with it fitted (some hate it but I think it looks OK). It wobbled like heck until I fitted a screen brace.

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
It is the 20 inch screen (I'm 5'10" with an inside leg of 31.5 inches)
Here's a pic of the bike with it fitted (some hate it but I think it looks OK). It wobbled like heck until I fitted a screen brace.
Thanks, looks OK to me, especially if it works!
The price does put me off but if I knew it would work for me I would consider it

Which screen brace, Camel?
I have one of these, quite expensive, but reassuring, especially when yr SatNav is heavy (TomTom Rider)

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
Screen brace is about 50 euros and made by Vlad (Vlad Voiculescu <vladwho@gmail.com>) in Romania I think. Total price of screen fitting kit and Vlad's brace was £355 (probably about $400), but I was out on my new bike which has still got the OEM screen (touring screen today actually) and I had to remove my peak, and even then the buffeting made the ride bleh.
Mike

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It’ll take it. Rode from Moab UT to So Cal nonstop on Kenda Big Blocks with HD tubes, constant 80+, no problems. Problems come from shops selling new old stock tires, check those production dates when you buy.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu