• Hi everyone, hope all of you are safe and healthy. We've updated the image upload size to 5MB from 2MB so everyone can upload some pretty pictures during their quarantine. We will also be updating our software and servers as the weeks go by so please let us know if you have any issues. Wishing all riders good health during these times.

Windscreen problems - buffeting and noise

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
Have just fitted and trialled the Palmer Products Screen Kit that I mentioned previously
It is better even with the OEM screen fitted and that was on a very windy day
The amount of adjustment is amazing and it is further forward
Up and down and tilt forward or back
(see photo 1)

Did also try adding a cardboard screen behind the OEM one before fitting the PP kit
It is wider than the OEM and that helped
(see photos 2 & 3)

I have now ordered Palmer's Screen as I think being slightly higher and wider it should be even better
It has been optimised for use with the Kit apparently
Will let you know tomorrow hopefully

Attachments

Reactions: superfunkomatic

SidSeaWalker

Oct 7, 2018
Oregon
Hey guys. Just to add my R&D findings to the knowledge base.

I am 5'11" and have an 18' AT. I wear a Peaked Klim Krios helmet.
At speeds over 65 MPH test. I have tried ....

The stock Honda Factory screen - Buffeting.

The taller Honda factory AT screen - Buffets smaller more rapid hits of air and is much worse. Intolerable. I prefer the original.

The dark tint MRA sport screen - Clean air to helmet with minimal buffeting but when I'm behind a large vehicle it makes weird turbulence that alternates off my shoulders and causes handle bars to wobble back and forth. Very annoying.

The Touratech tinted sports screen. Terrible finish (looks like it was poorly sprayed with tail-light tint so I vinyl wrapped it satin black) But ... it has virtually no buffeting. More clean and far less turbulent wind hits my helmet that MRA but it is a constant force on my head. On a multi day trip I may tire of it.

The tall Factory Honda screen with a Puig clip on deflector - Too much obstruction of vision being center mounted. Took it off immediately because my eyes wanted to rest on it.

The regular factory Honda windscreen with the Puig type 1 clip on deflector - Less buffeting with it angled slightly forward of vertical. Buffeting with it same angle as screen. Less buffeting and pretty tolerable with it angled all the way back towards my face.

Winner for me right now is the Touratech sport screen but I would still like a tall screen for long road trips. Because bugs suck. Secondly, I would do regular height factory screen with deflector tilted back all the way. Next up I will try the fork updraft block off thing.

I am heading off on a two week trip and really want to get this solved. As it is I seriously am more comfortable on my Ducati Streetfighter which has zero wind protection at all. It is less tiring.

Reactions: superfunkomatic

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
Good post - I too have found almost the same results as you. I cut down a screen to the absolute minimum and it was brilliant - no buffeting, but it was tiring and my visor collected all the bugs in summer and all the crap in a wet Uk winter. Settled on the Madstad with Vlad's screenbrace. Expensive at £350 but it provides a solution of sorts to touring at 70-80mph on the AT. The fork shield and the Honda stick on things make no difference for me.
Mike

Majesthor

May 2, 2019
Ottawa, Canada
I had the Givi Airflow on a Tiger 800XC and a V-Strom 650 (the pretty one)
Worked really well for me on both bikes, rode with visor up at all speeds
Made all the difference and not only can you adjust it to suit the wind/your size, but adjust low in summer and high when wet or cold
Or just remove the front piece and leave the base on in summer (still works well, get wind but not turbulence)

One of the reasons I think it worked well for me was that it was wider than the other screens
Someone else mentioned that it is the width that can make a lot of difference

But I have heard that not all buyers are happy with them

I may get one for my Africa Twin
Have only just got it so not done a lot yet
If I do purchase, will let you know what happens

Hope this helps
I have it on my Africa and look like night and days for me

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
I have only got 150km on my new bike but I have the severe buffeting issue as well. I am shocked at how different everyone's experience is, some have no issues and others say it's unrideable. Luckily I have a lot more good things to say about the bike than bad but the buffeting is my biggest complaint. I just spent the last 10 years on a KLR and found I was completely in the wind, which was way better than buffeting. After a lot of research I decided to order the Swegotech. Hopefully it makes the difference. It won't be here for a week.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I am shocked at how different everyone's experience is, some have no issues and others say it's unrideable.
I am really not surprised at the variety of opinions about the wind buffeting, to be honest. I admin on a Triumph forum and the model range has similar discussions and varying opinions ranging from the OEM screen/setup being the best ever to it being completely unrideable. I am sure the same experience is also true of any manufacturer. There is no way the OEM is going to be the same experience for everyone.

I had a Spring ST for awhile and there were so many people in the forums trying varying screens, that we gave some serious thought to doing a screen exchange program. If you tried one and didn't like it, send it to someone else in exchange for one they tried and didn't like and keep swapping until you find one you like :)

Of course, two (or more) things can be true at once and there are so many variables that come into play that for some it truly is perfect and for others, it is not. Kind of like mattresses, shoes and many other products. What is perfect for one individual may be someone else's worst case scenario.

As for myself, I have been happy with the combination of Swegotech and the Batzen bracket and have found a position I am happy with. My wife has been happy with that same combination.

Alternately I have a KTM 690 Enduro R with no wind protection, so I get the best/worst of both worlds :)

MScott

Mar 23, 2019
nova scotia
Can you post a pic of your install. If it works for you I'll buy a Swegotech and try it.
I've got the Fandango Pro. I found a template on-line for a Swegotech-like part and made a cardboard piece to test fitment. Had to cut the cardboard up quite a bit to fit around the Fandango mounting pad front strap that goes forward around the steering head. Thus assumed I'd be hacking the Swegotech up and loosing any potential benefits.
Where did you find the template?

SidSeaWalker

Oct 7, 2018
Oregon
So here is something I discovered that may not be news to you but it was a revelation to me. If my earplugs come in contact with the padding in my helmet the percussive effect of the air hitting my helmet is equivalent of flicking the earplug while it is in my ear. I took them out and all the sudden the tall screen was more bearable. I pushed them further in my ear and viola ... I can tolerate the tall factory screen. So simple ...

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
So here is something I discovered that may not be news to you but it was a revelation to me. If my earplugs come in contact with the padding in my helmet the percussive effect of the air hitting my helmet is equivalent of flicking the earplug while it is in my ear. I took them out and all the sudden the tall screen was more bearable. I pushed them further in my ear and viola ... I can tolerate the tall factory screen. So simple ...
If anyone's earplugs are sticking out so far that they are touching anything at all, then my guess is that they are not inserted correctly. If they do not fill the ear canal almost down to the ear drum then the decibel reduction quoted (typically 35db - which is pretty good), won't even get close. IMHO it's best to get a sample pack of different sizes and shapes so you can find a type that fits your ear canals. Then to insert them you have to roll them into a tight hard pointy cylinder and thoroughly wet them with spittle then push them in before they have chance to expand. My earplugs when properly inserted almost need tweezers to get them out :) But they are magic.
Mike

Reactions: Cuchulainn

jkmcgill

Feb 1, 2019
canada
yes, if they touch the helmet, they are acting like a stethoscope. lick 'em and stuff them way in! good job to highlight proper use of earplugs

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
I am in the same boat as inexorable. After 150km on my new bike I thought I made a terrible mistake. Now I've got 1200km on it and I'm not sure. Most of all, I love this motor!! But Graves put it best when he said "I think it's a great 500 pound dirt bike". I agree, it is a great dirt bike but it is supposed to be an adventure touring bike. I absolutely love this bike under 80km per hour but over that and it is terrible. This has been a long discussion that usually ends with people saying deal with it, there is no problem, motorcycles are loud. I have been riding my whole life, I have owned all kinds of bikes, and this is the worst noise I have ever had. At highway speed with my full faced shoei and ear plugs, I can't hear the bike and after 200km my ears are ringing. My ear plugs are in and they don't touch my helmet. If I wanted just a dirt bike I'd ride my 250sxf.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I think there are just so many factors that go into wind noise, buffeting etc. that there is simply no perfect bike for everyone. Granted I added the Swegotech fork tunnel guards and the Batzen bracket to mine and my wife's bike, but we have no issue with the wind on either of ours, to the point where we don't even bother with earplugs at all (though I know I probably should still wear them).

But I find a persons height, build, choice of clothing, helmet, hand guards, mirrors, windscreen positioning, etc. can all factor in. We found that the Batzen bracket was nice because it allows for some adjustability where the OEM does not.

For you, the AT is the worst noise you have ever had, for me, it was definitely the Triumph Sprint ST (edit Tiger 800XC was terrible too until I replaced the screen with a Palmer Products model), for my wife it was her BMW F650GS she used to own, Someone else might feel it is the S10, the VeeStrom, the Multistrada, etc. . Unfortunately, it is just kind of a dice roll I think.

But I would never suggest anyone simply "deal with it." If you aren't happy with it, staying with it may not be the best option. You can spend more time and money trying to tweak these kinds of things than it is worth. Life is too short and there are too many other good options :)

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
I have had many bikes, most of them used. This is the most expensive bike I have ever purchased. Unfortunately I am just not in a tax bracket that can dump brand new bikes for a big loss. I need to make it work but after reading through this 5 page post, I don't want to go down the road of hemorrhaging cash for poor results. As for lots of other options, I just rode the 850 GS and rated at 5hp less than the AT but felt like a dog. No power. I love the AT's motor. The only other real competitor is the 1090. Unless you go more stret oriented and go for the 800xca or a vstom. When I got the AT I had a few complaints(like why the horn is where the signals should be) but after some time, I love the bike a lot. Just one problem, unbelievable noise!

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I have had many bikes, most of them used. This is the most expensive bike I have ever purchased. Unfortunately I am just not in a tax bracket that can dump brand new bikes for a big loss. I need to make it work but after reading through this 5 page post, I don't want to go down the road of hemorrhaging cash for poor results. As for lots of other options, I just rode the 850 GS and rated at 5hp less than the AT but felt like a dog. No power. I love the AT's motor. The only other real competitor is the 1090. Unless you go more stret oriented and go for the 800xca or a vstom. When I got the AT I had a few complaints(like why the horn is where the signals should be) but after some time, I love the bike a lot. Just one problem, unbelievable noise!
I hear ya, but sometimes trying to solve these kinds of things can be an exercise in frustration. In the Triumph forum people became so frustrated trying various screens based on recommendations of others, only to find they didn’t work for them, that there was serious talk of a screen exchange program. If you had one that doesn’t work for you, send it to someone else in a swap for one that didn’t work for them. I never could find one that worked for me. Every time about 50 it felt like the wind was trying to rip the helmet off my head and it would just batter me.

My wife had both an F650 and F800 and the OEM screens were terrible for her on both. In both cases she replaced her OEM screens with Cee Bailey models and they worked really well. Unfortunately they got out of the screen business.

I had a Tiger Explorer 1200 that wasn’t great either, but that’s when I found Wolfgang and his Batzen Bracket. It worked so well on the Explorer that I went to that right away on the AT’s for my and I in combination with the Swegotech. I am sure you can solve it if you want to spend the time with trial and error. But you have to decide what your time and the cost of an error or three is worth.

KTM. I had an 1190. I found the OEM talk screen adequate, the stock short one not so much. The 1090 screen is about the same as the 1190. You may find the tall screen works. I found the stock about the same level of not so great as the 1190 when I test road it. If I was to buy one I would try to get the dealer to include the tall one in the sale.

I hear you on the F850. BMW seems to engineer the fun out of a bike. Seems like dog. Front suspension is crap too, though the rear seems adequate.

Have you tried the taller Honda screen and/or the Batzen bracket? The ability to raise/lower it proved adequate for my wife and I in combination with the Swegotech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
Tim - you are presumably from Newcastle. I go to the Wetlands bike meet at Washington Wildfowl Park most Wednesday nights if you would like to take a look at the Madstad (and talk about the various other options I have tried).
We nearly all want to ride upright adventure style bikes these days and yet the only way to have no buffeting and little noise is to either have your head in clean air like on a naked bike or a sports bike, or sit behind a large sloping fully aerodynamic screen like on a full-on tourer. Upright adventure bikes are like barn doors but there are ways to make them OK to tour at high speed. For me it's cost £350 and some would say that's too much but people are spending far more than that on uprating suspension or aftermarket exhausts. Just depends what's important to a person I guess.
I have posted previously on the other AT forum about the Madstad which got it nearly right for me. I'm in the process of fiddling about making some extra screen bits just to see if I can get the final 25% of joy from the system.
Mike

jkmcgill

Feb 1, 2019
canada
batzen, camel brace, and touring size vstream solved it on mine, along with fork air dam. I'm 6'1, any shorter, i'd need the next size smaller vstream. when first riding with stock windscreen 2019 ATAS, i would stand up for clean air, thinking how much better it was. now when i stand up its quite a bit louder than sitting, so this confirms the significant improvement.

Reactions: ToontownTim

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Thanks Mike but I'm from Canada. I did like the sounds of the Madstad because of the width. And Cuchulainn, what made you go away from your KTM?
Too many issues that were covered by warranty, but warranty ran out for starters :)

Fuel gauge stuck on full 3 times, had to have the sender replaced.

Bike would randomly stall, especially when hot. One time I opened the fuel lid to refuel and it spewed fuel in a geyser like Old Faithful.

A couple times it sputtered and died like it was out of fuel. One time it was about half full, another time it was near full. It would start again after sitting.

Tubeless spokes kept developing leaks. Bands had to be replaced.

Temp pressure sensors never worked.

Headlight bulbs would burn out every 6 months.

Other than that maintenance is stupid expensive vs Honda. From the oil to the 4 spark plugs costing $50 each to the prices for valve checks on those. If you do your own maintenance you can offset that.

And then there was the front end wobble issues

They thought it was the head bearing on mine as well and had KTM do a warranty on it, but it didn’t solve it.

I loved the bike for the most part, but did not wish to own it beyond its warranty period

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
Too many issues that were covered by warranty, but warranty ran out for starters :)

Fuel gauge stuck on full 3 times, had to have the sender replaced.

Bike would randomly stall, especially when hot. One time I opened the fuel lid to refuel and it spewed fuel in a geyser like Old Faithful.

A couple times it sputtered and died like it was out of fuel. One time it was about half full, another time it was near full. It would start again after sitting.

Tubeless spokes kept developing leaks. Bands had to be replaced.

Temp pressure sensors never worked.

Headlight bulbs would burn out every 6 months.

Other than that maintenance is stupid expensive vs Honda. From the oil to the 4 spark plugs costing $50 each to the prices for valve checks on those. If you do your own maintenance you can offset that.

And then there was the front end wobble issues

[/URL][/URL]

They thought it was the head bearing on mine as well and had KTM do a warranty on it, but it didn’t solve it.

I loved the bike for the most part, but did not wish to own it beyond its warranty period

Ouch! Maintenance cost and ease of work was 1 of the major factors in my decision to get the Honda. Removing the tank to do an air filter seemed like a bad idea. Valve adjustments didn't look fun either. I was going to go to the ktm demo ride but I can barely afford a Honda. I probably don't want to deal with that.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu