• Hi everyone, hope all of you are safe and healthy. We've updated the image upload size to 5MB from 2MB so everyone can upload some pretty pictures during their quarantine. We will also be updating our software and servers as the weeks go by so please let us know if you have any issues. Wishing all riders good health during these times.

Windscreen problems - buffeting and noise

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
The maintenance was a big factor as was the Honda unlimited mileage extended warranty. My KTM was the non-R version, but it’s 24month/24K, which I hit the mileage at about 18 months.

We sold our family owned business and I am back in school (online courses) learning a new career. I just didn’t need a bike with reliability issues out of warranty, nor one with high maintenance/service costs.

KTM rivals BMW for costs of parts and service and lacks Honda reliability.

But they sure are fun to ride. However I still have the 690 Enduro R :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
The maintenance was a big factor as was the Honda unlimited mileage extended warranty. My KTM was the non-R version, but it’s 24month/24K, which I hit the mileage at about 18 months.

We sold our family owned business and I am back in school (online courses) learning a new career. I just didn’t need a bike with reliability issues out of warranty, nor one with high maintenance/service costs.

KTM rivals BMW for costs of parts and service and lacks Honda reliability.

But they sure are fun to ride. However I still have the 690 Enduro R :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well thanks for all the help. I can't afford to give up and I love everything else about this bike to much. Next thing I will do is figure out how to get a Batzen bracket and give that a try. Hopefully that does it for me cause I would rather spend money on bags, heated grips, hand guards, cruise control. Oh well it will all have to wait.

Reactions: superfunkomatic

Echo15

Feb 26, 2019
Florida
There are just too many variables for easy fixes.... like seats. I had an NC 700X which is pretty comfy for most, but it was a weapon of ass destruction for me.

I have had a Buell Uly, multiple triumphs (old ones and newer... Tiger 1050), BSAs, a Victory (my only cruiser experience) NC 700X, a Versys, and the AT. All of those worked just fine turbulence-wise, except the Tiger; that thing drove me crazy. I tried other windshields and even cut the OEM one down....several times, and finally took it off completely; I never could make peace with that thing, so I have sympathy for anyone going through this.

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
Update on Palmer Products screen and adjuster kit
This kit can be adjusted in so many ways and is the best solution I have found so far
The wind roar has reduced a lot and so has the turbulence after trying many different positions
No I am not talking Karma Sutra 😂

But there is something niggling me a bit, there is some strange minor turbulence at the sides
I read somewhere that someone removed the handguards and it helped
So they have now come off and am gonna try it without them for a while...watch this space (if you want)

I have some old Tiger 1050 handguards and some Explorer ones and they look like they might fit
So after I have tried the naked handlebar thing, I will try the other guards

And of course I will let you guys know how I get on
...but, don't hold your breath

Even though I have retired I am busier than ever..."yes dear, coming..."

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
Yeah I read that too. There's a huge amount of air comes round the sides even with Honda's upper air deflectors. I guess it may be OK if it stays streamlined but the hanguards probably disturb it. I think the guy who posted about the handguards also took off his mirrors before he got smooth airflow
Mike

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I have the Barbuster Storms on mine. A handguard on the larger side to be sure. I am not sure if less is more or more is more in regards to the handguards and how they affect wind flow, but I have been happy with them. I have also replaced the OEM mirrors with the DoubleTake Adventure Mirrors. Not sure how much they help or not either. I think the Batzen Bracket and Swegotech fork dam guard were the two biggest ones for me.

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
Cuchulainn

"I have the Barbuster Storms on mine"
I hope that is a typo or you could be in trouble ;)

I have seen many people recommend these and they look the business for hand protection in the cold
They do look quite similar to the Tiger 1050 ones with a nice curvy shape so maybe less turbulence
Have been in the back of my mind for a while but I am not keen on the bar that goes with them

----------------------------------------
Well I went for a naked handlebar spin and it does seem better, but, need to try a few times

So, today I decided to try to get the Exploder guards to fit, and succeeded
Using various spacers, nuts and bolts I managed it
They are quite large and I believe Triumph now fit them to the Tiger 800
They are very squarish as compared to the curvy OEM's but if they work I don't care that much

WLYK how I get on

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I am curious as to the results with the Exploder (I had one and can appreciate the name) handguards. If they turn out to be an improvement, perhaps more is more in that regard.

If I were to swap out my BarkBuster Storms, I think I would give a look at the HighwayDirtBikes guards too. I have always liked them.

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
I used to work for Destination Triumph in Sussex and well remember the first Exploder's
They were noisy, and in fact as the van driver I returned over 20 of them back to Hinckley for rework (after Trumph finally accepted that there was a problem)
Lovely bikes to ride, but as I do most of my riding down country roads, I prefer something lighter and more nimble
I did try the HAT Sport but rejected it for the same reason, the STD AT is wonderful for my needs (except for the wind thing)

I am a fan of HDB's too and have their handlebar clamp with the 4 switches (USB, LED 1, LED 2, SATNAV)
Very good quality and easily removable if I decide to sell the bike

Quite like the look of the Powermadd guards too
1559148237656.png

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I had one of those first noisy ones. Aside from the noise, the transmission ate itself before it even had the temp tag off. I am not mechanically inclined, so I am sure I will get the description wrong. But it apparently had some sort of factory defect where the shift forks were misaligned or something, causing it to cannibalize itself. The bike ended up sitting in the shop for a month or so, waiting for parts and when the did finally arrive, the shaft had, rust on it, they claim from the overseas shipping. So they sent that back, waited for another to arrive, did the transmission rebuild and top end rebuild to resolve the noisy valve issue and good to go right? Nope. After getting it all back together they found it still noisy and decided it now also needed a lower rebuild.

The bike was now going on 5 months old and they had it in the shop longer than I had it in the garage. They determined rather than put me through another waiting game, they would work out a replacement. All good with the replacement? Nope.

The second one began having issues even faster than the first one. They took it in, did a transmission rebuild. This time much faster and I was back on the road in weeks, rather than months. But that still wasn't the end of it. The bike began to have further transmission errors and I brought it back to them. The finally admitted that they had only done a partial rebuild the previous time it was in and that in retrospect they probably should have also replaced the clutch basket and something else (again, I am not that mechanically inclined). So in it went again.

It seemed to run well upon return, but I sold it as quickly as I could. In retrospect, the two happiest days of my Exploder ownership was the day I bought one and the day I sold it.

I love Triumphs and will likely own another someday, but the Exploder was the last one I bought and it definitely soured me on the brand a bit :)

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
I had one of those first noisy ones. Aside from the noise, the transmission ate itself before it even had the temp tag off. I am not mechanically inclined, so I am sure I will get the description wrong. But it apparently had some sort of factory defect where the shift forks were misaligned or something, causing it to cannibalize itself. The bike ended up sitting in the shop for a month or so, waiting for parts and when the did finally arrive, the shaft had, rust on it, they claim from the overseas shipping. So they sent that back, waited for another to arrive, did the transmission rebuild and top end rebuild to resolve the noisy valve issue and good to go right? Nope. After getting it all back together they found it still noisy and decided it now also needed a lower rebuild.

The bike was now going on 5 months old and they had it in the shop longer than I had it in the garage. They determined rather than put me through another waiting game, they would work out a replacement. All good with the replacement? Nope.

The second one began having issues even faster than the first one. They took it in, did a transmission rebuild. This time much faster and I was back on the road in weeks, rather than months. But that still wasn't the end of it. The bike began to have further transmission errors and I brought it back to them. The finally admitted that they had only done a partial rebuild the previous time it was in and that in retrospect they probably should have also replaced the clutch basket and something else (again, I am not that mechanically inclined). So in it went again.

It seemed to run well upon return, but I sold it as quickly as I could. In retrospect, the two happiest days of my Exploder ownership was the day I bought one and the day I sold it.

I love Triumphs and will likely own another someday, but the Exploder was the last one I bought and it definitely soured me on the brand a bit :)
Sorry to hear that, you have my deepest sympathy (seriously)...your saga sucks big time

Having worked in the bike trade for a while, you soon realise that most new bikes have problems, the AT being an example, but Honda listened and acted (for most stuff)

I would say that working at a Triumph dealership was great as they seem to put a lot of effort into new bikes and trying new stuff, pushing the boundaries
But, there were casualties such as the Trophy
If I ever decided to work in the trade again, it would be Triumph connected for sure

I did have a Tiger 800XC which was a magnificent bike
But there were things that bugged me, after a while the engine noise began to irritate
The heat from the engine in summer was uncomfortable
And the main reason I swapped was the jerky throttle at low revs, almost came off when going over rough surfaces sometimes
But that again was one of the first ones
I suspect that they have sorted some of that now
The triple engine was one of the best I have ever had...so flexible

The AT is better but I found the throttle a bit jerky again initially, but am getting used to it
I don't find the engine so flexible, but am getting used to that too

I will let you know regards the Exploder HG's

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I did have a Tiger 800XC which was a magnificent bike
But there were things that bugged me, after a while the engine noise began to irritate
The heat from the engine in summer was uncomfortable
And the main reason I swapped was the jerky throttle at low revs, almost came off when going over rough surfaces sometimes
But that again was one of the first ones
I suspect that they have sorted some of that now
The triple engine was one of the best I have ever had...so flexible
I had one of those initial Tiger 800XC's as well. That is what I traded in for the Exploder. To the credit of the sales staff at the dealership, both the sales manager and the GM tried to dissuade me and said they were afraid I would regret trading the 800XC for the Exploder and they were right.

I do recall that the Tiger 800 had some initial fueling issues, mostly solved with ECU updates. It also had that jerky throttle, that I thought some solved with a 3rd party throttle tube mod of some kind? I can't recall. The heat never bothered me, but that might be because I owned a Sprint ST 1050 before that. The Sprint's engine would cook my calves and ankles and the under seat exhaust would roast your nether regions :) I did have to replace the windscreen on the Tiger 800 almost immediately with a Palmer Products though. I think aside from the Sprint ST 1050, it was the second worst screen I have had on a bike. I thought I wanted the larger Exploder since we were doing more touring/traveling than off-road. But I did end up regretting it as I was warned I would :)

The funny thing about the Exploder though as I mentioned it was the last Triumph I had purchased to this date, but I had purchased several from this dealership prior. Bonneville, Sprint, Tiger 800XC, Explorer, Street Triple. I was also a big Triumph advocate and co-organizer of a regional Triumph ralley in Taos, not to mention we used to start a lot of club rides from the dealership in order to help them out with foot traffic and used to participate/promote a lot of their events. But when my wife and I stopped buying Triumphs and BMW's which they also sold (and she was a purchaser of) they never bothered to reach out and ask why, or ask if we would be interested in trying a new model. Just sort of forgot about us and eventually us about them.

Strange business. My car dealership contacts me regularly to see how I am getting on with my current model and if I might be interested in test driving a new one :)

That new Scrambler 1200 looks pretty good though, but I am not sure I would want to trade in the AT for it. :)

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
I also replaced the screen on the 800xc, with the Givi Airflow...fantastic

Yes the new Scrambler 1200 looks gorgeous in person (as it were)
Sat on it and loved it, but the tank range is pants, so, no deal (shame)

I am afraid that I do agree re the customer service (or rather distinct lack of it) at some dealerships
Have been appalled by some, arrogant staff seems to be the main problem
I used to love being referred to awkward customers that turned out to be anything but
If you just listen to customers it makes such a difference
Most times it turned out that the problem was not the "moany customers", but the lack of customer service
I can safely say that I never had an unhappy customer, and I was only the van driver and valeter

In these times where the industry seems to be in slow decline due to us old gits slowly biting the dust
Surely dealerships should be listening to customers
The customer is always right is always right, is always right (there are no exeptions)
It never ceases to amaze me how some really **** dealerships are still around
But, thankfully there are still some good guys out there (yes, Gavin & co, you are included)

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Customer service has been non existent for decades, it's the entitlement driven mindset that makes one's self more important than anything else, the participation trophy program didn't help.

Years ago I was in Chaparral, long before they became a powerhouse dealer, looking for an oil filter for a five year old Suzuki, the same filter that was in use in most of the current day Suzuki GSX-Rs. The nit-whit behind the counter said, and I quote, "Obsolete guy.".

I also replaced the screen on the 800xc, with the Givi Airflow...fantastic

Yes the new Scrambler 1200 looks gorgeous in person (as it were)
Sat on it and loved it, but the tank range is pants, so, no deal (shame)

I am afraid that I do agree re the customer service (or rather distinct lack of it) at some dealerships
Have been appalled by some, arrogant staff seems to be the main problem
I used to love being referred to awkward customers that turned out to be anything but
If you just listen to customers it makes such a difference
Most times it turned out that the problem was not the "moany customers", but the lack of customer service
I can safely say that I never had an unhappy customer, and I was only the van driver and valeter

In these times where the industry seems to be in slow decline due to us old gits slowly biting the dust
Surely dealerships should be listening to customers
The customer is always right is always right, is always right (there are no exeptions)
It never ceases to amaze me how some really **** dealerships are still around
But, thankfully there are still some good guys out there (yes, Gavin & co, you are included)

Reactions: BlackRockFox

theiggy

Mar 24, 2019
CA
Where did you find the template?
I bought a swagotech but got it for a regular twin. I then used it as a model and cut one a bit larger . Shipping from Canada makes sending it back pointless. If you want I will send it and you can pay shipping and whatever you want.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

MScott

Mar 23, 2019
nova scotia
I bought a swagotech but got it for a regular twin. I then used it as a model and cut one a bit larger . Shipping from Canada makes sending it back pointless. If you want I will send it and you can pay shipping and whatever you want.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Thanks but I designed my own from a sheet of rubber. I don’t find it makes much difference. I’m researching g taller wider windscreens to reduce Hwy buffeting wind noise.

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
Thanks but I designed my own from a sheet of rubber. I don’t find it makes much difference. I’m researching g taller wider windscreens to reduce Hwy buffeting wind noise.
At least I'm not alone. It's strange how some people get dramatic airflow up the forks and other like me don't. The wider screen of the Madstad works well, but you also have to budget for a screenbrace or it wobbles around too much
Mike

BlackRockFox

Nov 14, 2018
England
At least I'm not alone. It's strange how some people get dramatic airflow up the forks and other like me don't. The wider screen of the Madstad works well, but you also have to budget for a screenbrace or it wobbles around too much
Mike
No, you are not alone
I made my own "butterfly" to trial the idea
It did not make much difference for me either

I am getting the feeling from lots of ideas/trials and a few purchases that the biggest improvement can be had by making the screen wider
This, I think is why the Madstad works so well
For me, it looks too big, but, if it works, why not
Why not? because I have spent too much money already, but it may be possible to purchase the screen only and adapt it
BTW Mike I cannot remember which screen brace you have (I have the Camel one which should work well)

At the moment I am gonna do more trials by adding some "wings" or extensions to the sides

The Givi Airflow for the DL650 2013 lower screen had "wings" and it worked fantastically well (see photo)

DL650 2013.png

The newest Tiger 800 XC's have "wings too"

1559641469076.png

The AT Sports model has optional deflectors which I have read somewhere work really well

Will let you know what happens next

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
I have Vlad's screen brace - excellent and barely noticeable.
I am experimenting with dark blue neoprene 'gap fillers' for the areas where Honda have had to create problem airflows because otherwise the knuckleguards would impact the screen or fairing. Neoprene should provide enough stiffness to deflect the air but a slow impact when the handlebars are on full locks should simply stretch them a bit. I'm doing it with my Madstad but I think the same principle could be applied to the standard screen and fairings.
Mike

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu