Won't shift into first after a drop

Inthedesert

Apr 16, 2022
arizona
So I was practicing slide turns and clearly need more practice, as I dropped the bike on its left side after the turn (had it leaned juuuust a bit too far to recover). I turned the bike off, lifted it, and when I restarted, it wouldn't shift into first, only as far down as neutral. It shifts up ok and then back down to neutral, but not to first. Tried it at a standstill, pushing, and then finally riding. Also, the shifting seems "mushier" now i.e., not the positive click into gear it had before. Rode it home, and it otherwise seems fine, just a little mushy and no first gear.

Soonest the dealer can get me in is a week, so I wanted to ask the collective mind here, in case there was an obvious cause I'm missing. I'm fairly new to motorcycles, but have a shop manual and some basic tools, so I'm up for entry-level tinkering.

Thanks.

1985AMCEagle

Apr 13, 2021
Virginia
Does the shifter appear to be bent? How about the shift linkage? Was the engine hit?
it is possible if the shifter was hit while the engine was running it could have bent something internal.

Inthedesert

Apr 16, 2022
arizona
Shift lever and linkage look ok to me--nothing bent, nothing obviously loose. Crash bars kept the engine protected. It did fall on the shifter side onto hard desert, so perhaps the impact knocked something out of whack

1985AMCEagle

Apr 13, 2021
Virginia
Did you figure out why it wasn’t shifting into 1st gear?

Inthedesert

Apr 16, 2022
arizona
Yup. Shift lever was bent a little, but just enough to catch the edge of the skid plate and prevent full movement. It was an aftermarket shifter, and putting the oem lever back on solved it. Feel kinda dumb considering how long it took me to figure it out, but at least it was an easy fix.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Yup. Shift lever was bent a little, but just enough to catch the edge of the skid plate and prevent full movement. It was an aftermarket shifter, and putting the oem lever back on solved it. Feel kinda dumb considering how long it took me to figure it out, but at least it was an easy fix.
Aftermarket parts often look like a good idea, they lure us in with the bling factor, or a promise of better performance, but it seems rare that it turns out that way.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu