• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2020!

Yoshimura RS-4 Installed

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Installed a Yoshimura RS-4 muffler on my AT today, very simple process just remove a couple of heat shields, loosen a couple of clamp bolts and remove the main bolt, voila! Just reverse the process to hang the new pipe. :)

Cleaned the can with rubbing alcohol and fired up the AT. Oh boy! That is a much different sound than the stock muffler, maybe too much. Time for the DB killer.

The included DB killer simply mounts into the rear of the pipe with a single screw, a quick 30-second job. Unless you dropped the screw down the pipe like I did! The good news is the catalytic converter stops the screw from rolling even further into the exhaust system but the bad news is my magnetic pickup tool isn't long enough to reach it. I had to remove the shields and muffler again to be able to fish the screw out of the catalytic. Getting pretty good at the process by now.

The DB killer toned things down nicely, time for a test ride

Spent the better part of an hour riding around getting a feel for the new muffler, below 4,000 rpm and riding smoothly it just purrs along, above 4k and with a heavy right wrist it gets downright nasty! :)

So far the RS-4 is all I hoped it would be!

Brian

PS the pipe just barely clears the HB pannier rackStock Muffler.jpgRS-4 Muffler.jpg

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Admin

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I did record some video of me making noise with my new toy but my cheap cell phone mic did not due the pipe justice

Here is the link to the vid on Yoshimura's site that compelled me to purchase!

Reactions: superfunkomatic

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I believe from reading the Upshift article the above recording was without the DB killer. I currently have the DB killer installed but honestly don't notice that much difference.

Ordered the spark arrestor from Yoshimura today, curious how much the screen mesh will change the sound.

No gash in the tire, just dirty!

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu