Almost an owner with a couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Africa Twin General Discussions' started by JoeBiker25, Aug 5, 2017.

1. After testing a Triumph XCX and Yamaha Super Tenere, I finally rode the Africa Twin DCT and fell in love. I have a heavy cruiser as well and absolutely want a light (relatively speaking), nimble, powerful bike with off road capability. The AT DCT checks all those boxes for me. A couple of questions:

- Since DCT is somewhat new, are there any early kinks that are annoying?
    - My dealer has a 2016 silver ready to go. Is the 2017 a better buy with features/ improvements (are there any changes?) if color is not a deciding factor?
    - What dealer installed options are "must haves"?

Thanks in advance!
    Joe

2. DCT is not for everyone, but I would not have bought an AT if it was not for the DCT. Some minor issues reported by some people, like the bike getting stuck in gear and won't shift. But there are no known common issues that have been reported.

There is no different in the 2016 and 2017 models. Honda added the plain metallic red colour, but its not available everywhere. In Australia were not offered the black and it is now finally available. Over here, the silver is the colour of the base model.

OEM accessories are very expensive compared to aftermarket and you would do better to spend your money there. I'd say the Honda centre stand is about the only thing you'd want if its not included. Just a list off the top of head of the other bits:
    • Bash plate - OEM unit does not cover the exhaust. Its also very thin and does not offer much protection
    • Hand guards - OEM units are plastic and break easily when you drop the bike
    • crash bars (or light bar) - OEM unit is an accessory rail and not a crash bar. It flexes a lot and people have reported it touching he panels
    • auxiliary lights - you can get the OEM light switch/harness from Rugged Roads or similar. Better lights available for the price.
    • power point - you can get an aftermarket unit for less than 1/3 of the price, which can incldue a USB point.If you want to stick with the OEM wiring, you can buy the harness add-on from people like Rugged Roads.
    • heated grips - people say the OEM is not as hot as aftermarket like Oxford. Much more expensive, and my biggest annoyance is the switch mounted on the grip. I keep accidentally turning on the grips when riding off-road.
    • Wind deflectors - French guy bought them and said they were a very expensive way of throwing away money and don't do anything
    • OEM lower/higher seat - depending on whether you like the stock seat, you might consider going higher or lower. But there may be better options out there. I have the higher seat and like it just fine.

JoeBiker25 likes this.
  3. I'm amazed that you got a test ride on a Super Tenere.
    No dealer in my area will let me ride one unless I've inked the deal. And even then it's only around the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. I really wanted to like the S10 but found it a little unwieldy and awkward. The dealers around here are pretty flexible if they feel you are a serious shopper.

5. Thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful. I am considering only the OEM center stand and go aftermarket for anything else.

Squily likes this.
  6. The S10 is a pricey beast here in Canada retailing at $17K The AT is almost $2,000 less at $15,099

7. They are pretty flexible around here as well. However, when I inquired about a test ride, while they were more than happy to accommodate, they said "You are probably not going to think much of it on a test ride, it takes several hundred miles to really appreciate it." So, I just didn't bother. It didn't sound like it was going to be something I would enjoy long term. Maybe I missed out? Probably not.

The T7 sounds as though it may be interesting though.

8. Pardon my ignorance but what is a T7?

9. Cuchulainn and DavidR8 like this.
  10. Couple thoughts on the DCT...
    1: I HATED it for the first 10-30 miles I spent on a rental with DCT. Well, not hate. But wasn't excited about it at all. Then I learned that anytime I'm in the dirt I LOVED it when in Manual mode. Then I spent a couple hundred miles in the desert on it an bought on.
    2: I'm a little disappointed in not being able to use the clutch to help get the front up. The front of this bike doesn't come up very easily and I like to think a manual clutch would be a bit easier to get over small logs, deep holes etc. It would easily be argued that the AT might not be the best bike to be riding over logs etc. Do what you want with that feedback.
    I'm not sure a manual clutch would have helped me get over this log but I think the end would have been more glorious if I had a manual clutch.
    IMG_1450.JPG

ReddyDr and Cuchulainn like this.
  11. Mate of mine went one tooth down on front sprocket and three on the back. Says the front come up a lot easier now and it made a big difference for him. Not sure if this will work on a DCT because of all the sensors etc.

OneEarTim likes this.
  12. Wow! That's a lotta gear change. I'm ok loosing some top speed but I'll have to calculate the top speed change before doing that big of a change.
    Thanks

13. Have the DCT...wish it was a manual. Low speed maneuvers like turns are hard...instead of feathering a clutch, you manipulate the throttle and brake. Can't loft the front wheel, no clutch wheelies, heavier and more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. why don't you trade it in for a manual?

OneEarTim likes this.
  15. Considering it...probably sell the DCT outright, rather then trade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Too bad you aren’t closer to the Denver area. My dealer has an almost new manual on the floor that a customer traded for the DCT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OneEarTim likes this.
  17. I absolutely LOVE the bike. I've got the suspension good enough for now but will need heavier springs.
    But not being able to clutch wheelie might end up being the thing that gets me.
    Outside of that it's AWSOME.
    My Dad says I just need to accept these bigger adv bikes aren't wheelie over stuff bikes. My back surgeon would probably like me to accept that too.

18. Yes, feathering the rear brake instead of the clutch takes a bit of getting used to. I experimented with using the park brake, but couldn't quite get the hang of it. I found adjusting up the throttle so there is no play and standing on the rear brake work for me in the slow technical stuff

Tend to agree with your dad: These bikes are a bit heavy to heft the front wheel up over obstacles. You loose traction rather than the front coming up. But doing the "close throttle, weight on front, heave and throttle open" get the front up for me on bitumen and allows some lifting on the dirt (till the loss of traction stops it)

19. I am guessing your Dad has the wisdom of age and experience and your surgeon knows your back. Probably good advice from both :)

I love the bike too and I figure for going anywhere that the DCT will be a major concern, the 450 EXC is probably the better tool.

But Kickapoo had me thinking that it's too bad there isn't some kind of exchange network, because obviously there are folks like Kickapoo, who purchased the DCT version and wish they would have gone manual. Then there are folks like the owner of the used manual at my dealer, who decided to go DCT. It is a clean bike with less than 1,600 miles, but you just know that guy had to lose a lot of money doing a trade-in / new purchase.

OneEarTim likes this.