Clutch Engagement

Discussion in 'CRF1000L(2) Engine and Transmission' started by Luma46, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Luma46

Luma46 New Member

I do not think it is a serious problem, but it definitely is irritating. When taking off in 1st gear, the clutch would engage smoothly until the very last moment before fully engaged. It would kind of grab and jerk if not careful. In fact it does it in any other (low) gear when slipping the clutch in in low RPMs. Lever free play is set right and there is no clutch slippage when fully engaged. The grab/jerk is almost nonexistent with cold engine, the hotter the engine the more pronounced it is.

I have 14k kms on the bike and it does it from new. I changed the oil twice, first I put in there 5W40 synthetic, now I have there 15W40 semi-synthetic Rotella. I wonder if regular/nonsynthetic oil would make difference.

Anyone experiencing similar thing or could you comment on this issue?

2. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Oil will definitely make a difference. Some clutches like certain oils and some don’t. Try something different, maybe a Honda labeled oil in the correct viscosity.

3. Squily

Squily Well-Known Member

My DCT has had 10w40 put in it twice now by the dealers instead of the 10w30. Immediately noticed the difference in the shifting: harshness and a tendency to slip clutch when cold between 1st and 2nd.

Can't speak for the manual

4. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Years ago I had a Suzuki GS1150E that didn’t like synthetic oil, the clutch would slip under heavy load, regular oil no slip.

One of my older air cooled bikes had an oil temp gauge, heavier oils like 20W50 would run noticeable hotter.

5. livingwellcfr

livingwellcfr New Member

I've experienced the same thing, I just need to get use to this clutch from my other bikes, I find that first gear in the AT is pretty tall.