DCT on 2017 or 2018 models

Discussion in 'Africa Twin General Discussions' started by mikeromeo, Mar 11, 2018.

1. mikeromeo

mikeromeo New Member

I am planning to buy an ART in the coming months and wonder if there have been frequent instances of DCT malfunction. I read a few warnings here about gears mysteriously slipping out and back in again while engine revd up to the limit?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. misterk

misterk Well-Known Member

I have 35k miles on two dct, not a single issue. I have not heard of any issues on any of the dct.

3. mikeromeo

mikeromeo New Member

Ok, thanks. Thats good to hear.

4. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

What about read?

5. mike5100

mike5100 New Member

I have had 3 DCT NC700 bikes and one AT DCT - 62k miles in total and no problems.
    Mike

6. bushpig

bushpig New Member

I was apprehensive about going with the DCT, I"m old and old school. I read all the reviews by pro adventure riders. Majority of them praised the DCT, so far as to some of them purchasing them after the road tests. This swayed me to try something new to me. First service and about 700 miles ( I know not many miles) I am very happy with my decision. Takes some getting used to. particularly at parking lot turns. I found that throttle control is imperative and using the rear brake is helpful.

mike5100 likes this.
  7. mike5100

mike5100 New Member

Definitely you have to get used to using the back brake for slow speed control if like me you previously just used throttle and clutch. But it's supposed to be the proper way of doing it anyway even on a manual bike.
    Mike

Zer0Nin3r likes this.
  8. Zer0Nin3r

Zer0Nin3r New Member

#8 Zer0Nin3r, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Mabuhay @mikeromero! DCT has been great so far. For those "old school" cats, I point out that there is a foot shift lever that you can get for the DCT. Granted it's another expense.

I think you will find DCT to be helpful in the Philippine traffic. You won't have to worry about stalling out in an emergency maneuver. Plus, the computer shifts way better and more precise than you could yourself, thus you can get better fuel economy IMHO (if that's your thing). Let us know what you end up settling in on.

Info for the DCT Foot Shifter:

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 15.51.23.png

9. mikeromeo

mikeromeo New Member

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I like the idea of a foot shift for a DCT to make you feel like you’re still shifting old school. The name for it must be ‘shift by wire’ or so :)

I wouldn’t consider myself old school as I normally like those electronic aids. Before coming to the Philippines I had a GS with ESA which I couldn’t ship with my household. Having to sell my bike broke my heart and the wound has really healed since.

Here in Manila they finally introduced Honda BigBikes and offer the AT for a reasonable price. All European bike are prohibitively expensive because of import tax and second hand big bikes are rare and equally costly. So, I am really tempted to go for the 2016/2017 AT Model that still has the old-school throttle and no DCT. I think having less electronics on the bike may pay off in the Philippines because not many mechanics really know how to fix that stuff.

A bit of nostalgia also plays in when looking at the AT. Back in the 80s, I crossed half of Africa on a Honda XL 500 S. For those too young to know it, the XL was the pendant to the glorious Yamaha XT 500 and it had a 21” front tire too. Great single pot that took me 15T km through desert and bush. I remember how it felt digging through those sand fields praying not to get stuck with the loaded bike on 34 hp ...

10. mikeromeo

mikeromeo New Member

... I just read an old article on the Honda XL 500 S. The front wheel was a stunning 23” apparently ... and the 34 hp were cited as ample power :)

11. Squily

Squily Well-Known Member

I've had a few issues with my DCT. Once it got so 'hung-up' that the dealer had to come pick it up. It spent two weeks at the dealer whilst they tried to sort it out, but in the end it got fixed by doing a factory reboot. The last time it acted up, there wasn't even an error code, but they had to do another reboot. Gremlins, but no cause has been identified.

At the time, I did some extensive searching online to find possible causes and could only find one other similar case from a few years back where the bike also mysteriously fixed itself without the fault ever being diagnosed. So it seems to be a vary rare occurrence. It did make me investigate various options for getting unstuck when in the bush as I do a lot of remote riding.

Zer0Nin3r and misterk like this.
  12. mikeromeo

mikeromeo New Member

Thanks for the comment. I finally decided IMG_1039.JPG and got myself the last 2017 model (without DCT) before the 2018 models are pushed out in Manila.

Zer0Nin3r and Admin like this.