End of the Road 2018: Darien Gap Panama

Discussion in 'Long Ride Reports' started by Fatty, Aug 31, 2017.

1. We are planning a three week trip to the end of the road, the Darien Gap. We plan on leaving in the first few months of 2018 as Google says the dry season is January-March.

Anyone who would like to join us is welcome.

The meet up will be in the southern most tip of Texas on a Friday leaving out the following morning. We will return no later than the Saturday three weeks later. The specific date has not been set yet as our day jobs have commitments which are still in flux.

The plan is to meet in the southern tip of Texas and ride hard for the end of the road. Once there we will have a photo op and then party for a week or so in Panama. The grand plan is to make a yearly expedition to a different Central American country. This will be the first year.

We are not looking for sponsorship nor to making a documentary. If you are the type who needs to film everything, that is fine as long as you don't slow things down.

I just picked up my Africa Twin (manual shift) yesterday and am in the process of outfitting it.

We would appreciate suggestions on the following items:
    1.) A GPS that will be reliable all the way down there
    2.) Comm system for multiple riders/cel phone/radio
    3.) Things to see and do in Panama
    4.) Suggested route and overnight towns there and back, preferably a different route back but with similar time
    5.) A simple GPS bike tracker where friends and relatives can see where your bike is real time on a website

2. Hey @Fatty! Welcome to africatwin.org. This trip sounds incredible. Wish I could take off the time and go with you. Keep us posted with photos of your bike, gear and anything else worth mentioning. Ride safe, friend!