First Motoz tire impressions

Discussion in 'Africa Twin General Discussions' started by OneEarTim, Jan 6, 2018.

1. OneEarTim

OneEarTim Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

Manufacturing and Business Owner
    Home Page:
    I've been off the bike for awhile
    Finally getting back on the bike and had a great ride with some friends. Close to 200 miles with a lot of dirt. Nothing hard, but lots of mountain roads, fire roads, some tighter than we should have been on single track and some mud here and there.
    Make sure to check out the pic of my buddies Dirtster (Sportster Turned dirt)

First impression:
    They sure look impressive. If tire placebo is a thing these should do the trick. Everyone I rode with had tire envy and wanted to know more.
    I was running late to our meeting spot in Cool, so I was hauling ass on Salmon Falls Road (epic popular twisty road for bikes). As with any tire these things suck until they are skuffed in and these were probably worse than most. I had a couple scares but made it to the meeting point.
    Once we were on the dirt the tires started to shine. The first dirt road we were on was hard back with some loose gravel and also some damp clay.
    For some reason I didn't feel confident on these tires as soon as I expected. But, by the end of the day I was pretty happy with the tires and look forward to getting more dirt under them.
    I do think they allowed me to get the front end over some holes where my previous Shinko 804/805 combo would have just spun the rear tire.
    On the way home on the mountain roads and back on Salmon Falls the tires felt a LOT better. I didn't push them too hard, but definitely had some spirited riding with my friends. I got pretty close to rubbing off the whole chicken strips but the tits are still attached.

That is all I got for now. I'll continue to report as I get more miles on these.
    IMG_4607.jpg IMG_4663.jpg IMG_4664.jpg IMG_4667.jpg IMG_4670.jpg

manuelalberto likes this.
  2. manuelalberto

manuelalberto Active Member

Those are some tyres. they must be a challenge on the motorway.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

3. OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    Well, I'm definitely not telling every road warrior to go and buy them. But, once they were skuffed in a bit they worked as good as I would have ever expected my AT to work on the road. No doubt I will eventually push them harder and see how they compare to the Shinkos I was running last which were pretty great on the street.
    At this point I would say the Motoz are at least as good as the stock tires which on the surface look like they should have been the best road tires.

Mitch likes this.
  4. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    They don't look to be too bad. Maybe not as motorway friendly as the 50/50 Motoz Tractionator GPS, but not as bad as the 20%/80% Mitas E-09 or 10%/90% Perelli MT-21. Probably a 40/50 to 30/70 on/off road tire?

5. Mitch

Mitch Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

Thanks for the review. I am pretty surprised the Motoz came close to on-road performance with those softer, sticky Shinko's. That is impressive for a tire that is known to have a more durable compound.

I have a set of the Motoz GPS in the shop. In the next couple weeks I will spoon them on, while I also install my new suspension. I am looking forward to giving the GPS a run and review. I also have a new set of Mitas E-07 in the shop, which I have run before and they are at the top of my 50/50 tire list.....thus far. Perhaps the Motoz can dethrone the champ. We'll see.

[​IMG]

Cuchulainn likes this.
  6. Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    You will probably get your Motoz GPS’s on before me. I think I will wait for Spring. I am thinking about getting a set for my wife’s AT as well, or spooning a set of the Motoz Adventure tires onto one for comparison.

Next set of tires after the Motoz, maybe the Goldentyre GT723 were raving about them. Or maybe I will just try a set on the 690, after the OEM MT21’s wear out.

People seemed to particularly like the GT723 90/100-21 front. One guy described it as “transformative.” Not too sure about all that hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Mitch

Mitch Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

A buddy of mine who lives down near Phoenix raced off road for over 20 years. Any time a tire thread opens up he usually posts something like "It is the arrow, not the indian". No question, there is much to be said and experienced from excellent tire tread and compound design, but there are LOTS of great tires available now. I admit to being a mod whore, including tires. I like trying new stuff. But I also recognize that it will never be the tires that limit me. The limitations are all in me.

Graves and Cuchulainn like this.
  8. Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    I suffer from the same problem. My buddy Bob is brand loyal and keeps buying the same tires set after set. I keep changing to try something new and he is always giving me a hard time. "Why are you buying that tire?" "What was wrong with X brand?" "Why wouldn't you just put those back on? Did you have a problem with them? No? Then why change?"

In a way I get what he is saying, but by the same token if you keep drinking the exact same brand and style of beer every singe day, you may also miss out on finding a new favorite :)

Mitch and Graves like this.
  9. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

I complained about the road manners of new front tire I have. I recently discovered that if I ride that tire with one hand off of the bars, the bike runs straight and true. So like my buddy says; “It’s the monkey, not the banana.”.

10. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep.

11. Mitch

Mitch Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

I am inconsistent in that regard. There are some things I have discovered that I really like and I stick with them. Example...I do tend to get the same entre at my favorite restaurant....Food is too important to me to take such a big risk. :D But in other areas, such as tires, I like to experiment. But I know there is no magic tire that will transform me into a highly skilled off-road rider. Uh No!

12. Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    You should break out of the culinary mold as well. One of my favorite restaurants around here is Cafe Brazil. I have tried pretty much everything on their menu and it’s all excellent, but I have also discovered that almost consistently the constantly changing specials are better than anything on the printed menu. :)

13. Mitch

Mitch Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

I know. I need to loosen up. But I love a good fillet, medium rare with an assortment of grilled or sautéed vegetables for the sides. Add a nice citrus beer, like a Blue Moon or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.......Is it dinner time?

14. Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    Gotta love a forum where you can discuss tires....

[​IMG]

And food..

[​IMG]

In the same thread :)

Nusk450x and Mitch like this.
  15. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Ever been to Fleming’s? Spendy but OMG good.

16. Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    I have not. It appears there is a location in Englewood on Inverness Drive, probably only 10-15 miles away. I wasn’t even aware it was there. It appears to get good reviews. I will have to check it out :)

17. Mitch

Mitch Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

No one can jack a thread like I can.;)

18. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah, a new alter ego... Jack of All Threads.

Mitch likes this.
  19. Mitch

Mitch Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

Oh I like that.....Perfect username. When my ADD kicks in I never know where I'll find myself. YouTube is dangerous for me.

20. OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    I have to admit that I really just want to find a tire that I'm happy with. I won't stick with it just to stick with it. But, I'll stay with it until I want to find something specific that I want it to do better. When I was racing it was a bit different.