GPS.

Discussion in 'Africa Twin General Discussions' started by Graves, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

What do you have/use?

Why do you like/dislike it?

Where do you use it (on or off road)?

2. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

I have an Garmin E-trex 20.

It works for what I need, it was cheap, but its too small to see with my old eyes.

I use it mostly off road.

I've been looking to upgrade but can't decide. I seem to keep going back to the Magellan TRX7 and Garmin Montana 680T. I don't need road maps. Virtual globe or something comparable would be nice for finding those dead ends and gates that aren't shown on maps. And it would be nice to be able to use it without my readers. Bigger is better, I have a Camel ADV Products sub-frame brace coming.

3. ATmartin

ATmartin New Member

Garmin 395lm
    It does what I need and can play music from it into my helmet. It’s well made. The software could be faster otherwise

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

4. Posiden

Posiden Well-Known Member

Commercial Diver
    Ive got a Tom Tom rider 400 (first edition) for road use and it has had several problems, including being replaced under warranty. Software takes a bit of getting used to as well. I like the way it can be turned from landscape to portrait on its mount.
    I only bought the tom tom as I have one for the car ( non motorcycle variant)
    The Rider version has been updated since but originally it wasn't cheap at £400.

5. Black99S

Black99S Well-Known Member

Garmin Montana 600

I've got Backroads GPS Maps on microSD card installed. Really good on forest service roads and single track - especially where people are sharing tracks. http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/gps-maps/western-canada-gpsmaps/bc-gps-maps/bc-backroad-gps-maps

Garmin rugged mounts on both KTM350 and Africa Twin. Easy to swap. I use it both off-road and on-road.

Screen is a bit small for road use with old eyes. Bomb-proof, dust-proof, water-proof. Can't ask for more. I don't use functions like photo or bluetooth or speaker.

6. Scott

Scott New Member

I'm using Garmin 595lm. I really like it. I use topo cards in it to see all the forest service roads, so I use it for on and off road. With the new Camel brace it does not vibrate at all now. Before on the windscreen cross it vibrated so bad you couldn't read anything. I'm very happy with it.

Cuchulainn likes this.
  7. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like I'm going in the right direction with the Camel sub frame brace, and I'll probably go with some Garmin product.

8. Scott

Scott New Member

Yes the Camel brace a huge difference. You wont be disappointed with it.

9. Dogen

Dogen New Member

I have the Garmin Montana and the Garmin 590.
    I bought the 590 because I assumed it would be better than the Montana but I was wrong.

The Montana is easier to see in direct sunlight. The screen on the 590 has a reflective coating which is supposed to help but it actually makes it harder to read because my Hi Viz gear reflects in the screen.

The Montana shows more secondary roads at lower zoom levels so you can see interesting roads from a distance. With the 590 I have to zoom in too far to see secondary roads so it’s not easy to see where they go when I’m riding.

The battery in my 590 dies within 10-15 minutes of being taken off the wired cradle (common complaint) whereas the Montana lasts for 1-2 hours so I can plot my next days route in the motel room.

The curvy roads feature on the 590 is disappointing. I can find better roads myself and any time you pass a town it routes you through all the side streets.

The wired mount for the Montana is cheaper than that for the 590 so it’s cheaper to wire in mounts on multiple bikes.
    The only thing I like better about the 590 is that it can Bluetooth directions to my helmet speakers.

adventuredon likes this.
  10. kristofh

kristofh Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

Technical helpdesk Security systems
    I still use my trusty old zumo 660, it's just a little slow

Send by mobile phone using Tapatalk

11. belrix

belrix Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

Currently using an older Garmin Zumo 350LM with TOPO maps for fire and secondary roads. It gets the job done and if you put it in 'offroad' mode you get a bearing arrow that always points to your destination! Handy for just randomly riding and still finding the way home.

Looking at upgrading but need a Camel windshield brace first. (reminder go place order!)

12. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

I decided on the Garmin 276CX. No pesky touch screen, a large screen, outdoor worthy, a large screen, nice mount included, a large screen... now I wish my Camel brace would get here.

13. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    I love my Zumo 595. I wish Garmin wasn’t letting BaseCamp die though. Just a matter of time before the Mac version won’t run anymore.

When I contacted them about a possible update or if they were letting it die, they told me they were definitely not letting it die and that was an important part of their product offerings. But another year has passed and it’s now 25 months and counting since the last update for PC or Mac. From what I understand they don’t have the BaseCamp development team anymore.

Guess it wasn’t as important as they claimed? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

The only thing I use base camp for is uploading my Google earth tracks into my ETrex. I don’t really like TOPO maps, except for overlaying routs to follow on, they don’t show enough, that’s why I needed something with virtual globe / BirdsEye... whatever they call it.

15. Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    I really like the Mac version of BaseCamp and Sara and I are heavy users of it. The PC version, not so much. I have tried to use it on my Surface Pro, but it isn't even the same program. Just some bad port of the Mac program to PC I think. Good thing I have both platforms I guess :)
    I have tried using that TomTom online junk, what do they call it? MyDrive I think? It has a save to GPX feature, but it never imports correctly. I end up with an "as the crow flies" route and some tracks. I can convert the tracks to a route, but its an extra step and harder to edit.
    RouteBuddy looks interesting though and uses WorldGeo Topo Maps. I may download it and give it a trail. It appears to have viewing options for Ariel, Web and Earth. That might give that virtual globe / birdseye / flyover whatever it is mode?

16. mike5100

mike5100 New Member

I ditched my Garmin stuff and now use my iphone 7 plus with copilot (just as bright just as waterproof). Maps and software always updated live traffic all for £23 and I think £7 per year. I use it with a RAM X-mount
    Mike

17. Shedracer

Shedracer New Member

Mike are you charging the iPhone 7 while riding and if so what happens in the rain, can you still charge in the rain? I was up for a Garmin 595, but having used my iPhone 6S plus for sat Nav, I was shocked at how slow the Garmin is to redraw and also cumbersome to use. The iphone satnav is so much slicker, quicker and easier to use.

18. Nusk450x

Nusk450x New Member

I use MudMap 3 on My iPhone 7 it doesnt do navigation but once you have purchased it you can download all sorts of maps for Offroading if you want street navigation it just redirects to Google. It will track you time you have been travelling total distance ascent decent etc. and gives you a live position. I like it. Might only work in Oz this was my ride today had to drop some paperwork off today 230km away but instead of taking tarmac it was 20km shorter through the scrub.. Glad i bought the AT. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. mike5100

mike5100 New Member

Yes - I am charging in the rain. I use the iphone 7 plus in landscape format and the cable runs downwards to the accessory socket, so I don't think there is a problem there. The weak point is the accessory socket itself, and rain running down the cable and shorting it. It's got a waterproof cap but of course when you are actually using it, its got to be open. I have got it wired in via an Eastern Beaver thing so the fuse is under the seat. And if it does blow, I have got a 8000mah jump start thing (cost £30) that will fit in the OEM Honda tank bag. This has a USB outlet that would power the phone for about a week I reckon. It is surprising how much juice constant GPS monitoring plus cellular live traffic (plus my bluetooth music) takes out of the iphone, and it wouldn't last a full day of riding on its own power.
    What I thought I wouldn't be able to come to terms with was the need to stop the bike and take a glove off to make any changes in copilot. However, I now think this is a good thing. I also use the phone and copilot in the car and if you are fiddling about trying to zoom or put in a new destination, your concentration on other more important things is badly affected.
    Mike
    PS - just remembered - I was riding in very heavy very wet snow for about 4 hours and nothing shorted out. I remember because surprisingly the touch screen started working even though I had my winter Gerbing heated gloves on - realised later it was the wet gloves allowing conductivity.

Shedracer likes this.
  20. Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold

Home Page:
    The problem I have had trying to use my iPhone for Navigation is that while it seems like a fine tool for looking at maps, seeing where you are, doing a quick route from point A to point B, etc. I haven't found any route planning apps for it worth a damn, particularly ones that will allow you to share the routes with a group and so on.

Scenic is OK for a quick and dirty route to somewhere local. inRoute kinda sucks. Fusar has some limited functionality for Groups. Rever is OK for sharing, but not great for planning. I find it much better to use BaseCamp and just upload the GPX files to Rever, IF I want to share the route to Rever.

Has anyone found a "hidden gem" worth checking out?