Kenda Big Blocks.

Discussion in 'CRF1000L(2) Wheels, Tires and Suspension' started by Graves, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Spooned on a set yesterday, went for a ride today. Just as an FYI, bought this bike to ride off road, so on road manners are low on my concern list. I did wear out one rear already, and found it to be adequate, quiet, hooked up well on and off road and lasted about 4K miles, so this report will concern the front. On rain grooved highway, it’s terrible, tracks the rain grooves and makes the bike feel nervous. On smooth pavement it works well, tracks well, and holds corners well. This tire is quiet... so far. As for off road, this tire is brilliant! Predictable, tracks straight through sand, sticks to rocks, and when pushed to the point of slip it recovers nicely, and best of all it cost me $65.00, at that price I could replace it every 2K miles and not feel bad about it.

2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Well-Known Member

Corruptor of young minds
    Home Page:
    I've wondered about these tires myself. Seems like a good deal, especially if you change your own tires. Yes they seem to wear quickly but they do look like they'd be a good gravel and trail tire.

3. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

So I went for a desert ride last Saturday and it would appear that the front high speed instability translates to the dirt as well. Not that everybody rides like this but, on a loose rock road (similar to RR road bed but smaller), standing, head out over the headlight, with 25 psi in the front tire, about 80 mph, the front started to speed wobble. I was able prevent it from becoming a full swap, but I did have to act. It happened twice so it wasn’t a fluke. I’ll try 30psi but if it happens again, in the trash it goes.

4. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Well-Known Member

Corruptor of young minds
    Home Page:
    Holy crap! You're a savage on your bike. What's the freeway speed around you in California? Haha. 80 mph offroad and I'd be more worried about bowel movements. :eek: Good on ya for givin' your bike the beans.

5. Gundog

Gundog Member

650gs, big block rear, Karoo 3 front. Happy.

TR

6. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

I was pretty happy with that combo too, except for the noise and I wanted a bit more front traction off road. I might try a Shinko front next.

Gundog likes this.
  7. Gundog

Gundog Member

My buddy just ordered Shinko 805 front and back for his KLR for the New Mexico BDR. I’ll see how he likes them.

TR