Listen to the Little Voice...

Discussion in 'Africa Twin General Discussions' started by belrix, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Learned a lesson this afternoon, when the little voice in your head is telling you something, it is a good idea to listen!

Went out for a quick ride this afternoon to enjoy the weather and my AT when I noticed I was close to my favorite minimum maintenance road.

Started down the road and I noticed that the 4X4’s had really rutted it up since the last time I was down it. The going started to get pretty rough. This is when the little voice in my head started making suggestions like “Turn around!” and “Stop and take off the side cases”, but of course I ignored all these totally reasonable suggestions and continued on.

Made it down to the turn around point without incident and proceeded to journey back to the main road when I hit a spot that can best described as a set of rock steps going uphill. Steeling my nerve I started up the steps, conscious of the fact I needed to keep on the throttle to maintain momentum when suddenly I have no momentum! Before I could think to add throttle to power out the situation I was falling over to the left. Luckily I didn’t try to stop the topple but stepped off as the bike fell over.

No damage to me, didn’t even fall down but my H&B side case took a hit. Picked up the AT and surveyed the damage, bent aluminum on the side but mount intact and lid still works...got off easy.

I’ll be able to hammer the side case back into shape but I learned a lesson...

Sometimes it is best to listen to that little voice in your head!

:)

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squily, manuelalberto and Cuchulainn like this.
  2. Definitely a good idea. It reminds me a little of that Captain Crash Special Report: The Voices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squily and manuelalberto like this.
  3. This video is very funny and also true (most of the time).
    Happy and safe riding.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Cuchulainn likes this.
  4. Brian. Sometimes it does pay to listen to the (voice) and intuition is one instinct that we as humans don't trust very often. As long as you are safe and sound the rest can be replaced or repaired.
    Happy and safe riding.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

5. Happy to hear you're safe and in one piece. I've only been riding for 12 years and one thing I always try to work on is my gut intuition/voice in my head instinct. This is especially true when lane splitting in Los Angeles traffic or doing a quick run out to the dessert. Appreciate the write up and will use this as a lesson to improve.

6. Is the little voice something you should have listened to? Or, is the little voice what took your confidence away causing you to not carry enough momentum? Interesting things to ponder.

Confidence is a funny thing, it is very fragile, but can make you invincible.

7. Ahh...good point, Mr. Graves!

Thinking back my biggest mistake wasn't continuing to travel down the rough road (I need to myself to improve) but not stopping and taking off the side cases. I was worrying about the side cases instead of my riding technique.

I'll give the road another try in a couple of weeks...without side cases!

Ride safe

brian

8. When I was racing I learned real quick that if I questioned something it usually didn’t go well. I’d come to an obstacle in a race course, let’s say a real technical hill climb where half of the racers were stuck, I mean a real yard sale, bikes and riders everywhere, wheels spinning and dust you couldn’t see through. I would stop and purposely look at the ground next ro my bike and catch my breath, I didn’t study the hill to find the best line, I didn’t watch the carnage unfolding before me, I didn’t care about those that would pass me while I sat there catching my breath... I just cleared my head and cought my breath. When I was ready to go I would look up and let the clutch out at the same time, and guess what happened? I would make the hill, through the traffic or around it, the first try. I passed a lot of people that way, some got me back when the course opened up because they were faster than I was, that’s why they were stuck on the hill before me, but some wouldn’t. What I’m trying to illiterate here is that you know how to get over that stair section, you’ve done it before, questioning yourself is the demon you have to shake. Leave those saddle bags on and hit that thing like you mean it, you’ll learn more about yourself than you can imagine.

9. Thanks for the reply and the encouragement!

:)

10. ditto!
    youre unreal

11. I know this is hard, but my thoughts- you won't know what you can do (or improve your abilities) if you don't push yourself some times. This means stepping outside your comfort zone and overstepping the safe zone.

Nothing wrong if you don't, but afterwards you might just be a better rider, a more confident person and feel a certain level of accomplishment which is very hard to describe.

Sometime the voices just hold you back....

Picture255Medium.jpg

P1030180Medium.jpg

Admin likes this.
  12. I agree with Graves and Squily. But I would suggest you ditch the side cases for 3 reasons. 1) They're expensive so you'll be thinking about them. 2) They're expensive, so you won't want to chew them up as you push your limits. and 3) Hard cases can be dangerous off-road.

13. Thanks for all the replies and encouragement!

I've added a set of Givi crashbar bags and a tool tube to the AT so I'm able to carry air pump, spare tires and tools without the side cases mounted. Should help ease my mind when in the rough stuff.

Will mount the side cases when commuting, makes getting groceries and running errands super convenient.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Squily likes this.