New Bar Riser project...

Discussion in 'Africa Twin General Discussions' started by OneEarTim, Aug 16, 2017.

1. #1 OneEarTim, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Hey everyone,
    Eddie saw my posting on Instagram of developing a new Africa Twin Bar Riser (OneEarTim and MotorcycleAdventureGear) and suggested I share the story here. So here it is...

I treated myself to a new Tri Color AT DCT for my birthday in May. I put over 3000 miles on it the first month and noticed that the bars are pretty low for me. I found myself either sitting more or riding in a full attack position than I would like. I started looking for a good bar riser option and just didn't see anything that I thought was worthy of my new ride. One thing led to another and I decided to combine my passion for adventures, manufacturing and motorcycles to start a new business that focuses on making super rad adventure gear for my new pride and joy.

The first couple of days I had my bike I added the normal center stand, dirt worthy tires, 12v socket, heated grips and taller wind screen. I then headed out for my first epic adventure with my Dad and my new love. It didn't take me long to realize that if you're taller than a Honda Engineer you may want a taller bar position. My Dad is 5'9" and I'm 6'2" so I swapped bikes with my Dad and he thought the same thing.

Feel free to follow this post to watch the development of our new bar risers. Beyond this I have a small list of products I want to develop. I would love to hear what people are looking for. Feel free to share any feedback.
    Right now, we are waiting for the first revision to come back from Anodizing for test fit and then we will start production on revB IMG_1942.JPG

Squily, dascooter and SoCalEddie like this.
  2. Excited to see how this turns out. Looks pro already. This is like the ultimate do it yourself project.

3. Being 6'2" also, I immediately noticed the need for risers and planned to add some. I was shopping around, not overly excited about what I was finding. I will keep an eye on your thread :)

I am also looking to replace the rear grab rails with something other than the plastic, or whatever it is that the OEM are made from. If you ever go down that route, I would be interested as well.

4. I'm not certain of exactly what grab rails you are talking about. Are you talking about the grab handle that is a part of the rear rack? That's a cast aluminum part. Would you want a whole new rear rack/handle set up? Most people are installing rack plates on top of that.

5. Here is a view of the top of the first prototype. The bottom isn't worth showing because it's changed quite a bit.
    IMG_2294.PNG

6. I think we have finalized the part shape for the bar riser. I'll see if I can find time to post of stress analysis results tomorrow.
    Anyone have an opinion on adding a Scotts Steering stabilizer? I'm definitely adding one on my bike but curious if there is a desire for a nice mount for one on an Africa Twin.
    750[/ATTACH] IMG_2281.JPG IMG_2282.JPG

Attached Files:

Cuchulainn likes this.
  7. There's some cleaver people about. Good job. :D

8. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with for a Scott's Steering Stabilizer mount.

9. Are they even cast aluminum? I wasn't sure that it was, it felt to me like some sort of composite plastic. But they are huge, wide and kind of ugly imho. Was hoping to find something more similar to the bars used on the Tiger 800XC or BMW F800GS.

10. The passenger rails/rack aren't metal.

Cuchulainn likes this.
  11. Nope, just plastic and chip easily if caught by boots. These can be removed but leave empty holes in the rear side faring's where the brackets for panniers used to be. No after market infills available atm.

Cuchulainn likes this.
  12. Yes, this. That is why I haven't just removed them. Would like to find replacement rails or aftermarket infills

13. Wow! You know what they say when you assume something... I'll take another look at it today. Thanks @Cuchulainn

14. Really interested in this project. Thanks for sharing.

15. I was thinking I made an assumption about them being plastic, until a couple of others chipped in. I am not sure how much of a demand there would be for replacement rails. Maybe if there was more of a demand others would already have them on the market? Or maybe nobody thought there would be a demand? Dunno.

I can only speak for myself, but after I got the bike home and started shopping for accessories, it was on my mind to replace them with something a little thinner and black. I would prefer not to eliminate them completely, because I do use them for attaching Rok Straps, but of course I can find somewhere else to attach those.

16. Where would you hold to pick up your bike if they were gone? I'll add them to my list of things to look closely at. To make sure I understand your desire... Something that is lower profile or tucked in closer to the bike?

17. We received the first prototype bar risers from Anodizing today. We are pretty happy with the finish. It's a Mil-Spec process that is bead blasted, electro-polished and hard anodized. Unfortunately we might have to look into other options because after looking at the quotes I think they must be dipped in unicorn tears. I think the process is more suited for super expensive Aerospace parts and not consumer products. This is where we may struggle a little to produce the ultimate in quality vs reasonably pricing our products. There are plenty of other good options, so we will look into those before making the final call. We made significant changes to the cosmetic shape of the part, but these will be a good start to test fitting and testing the part function. I would love to hear everyone's feedback as we share the journey of developing our products. IMG_0527.JPG

Squily likes this.
  18. I will be honest and admit that maybe I am being overly cautious, but I would not trust those rails to pick up the bike. From the accounts I can tell they are plastic and only have a 25lb weight capacity. I am not sure I would trust them in the lifting process of a 500+ lb bike.

I tend to use the technique demonstrated by Simon of Knobblies at about 0:47, with my hand inside the grab rail....

Or the handlebar lift...

So never using the grab rails.

But I do use them to attach Rok Straps, so something smaller, thinner, powder coated and black is what I had in mind.

Rather than fat, gray, plastic and ugly like the Africa Twin....

[​IMG]

... I was hoping to find something thinner, black, metal and no so wide, such as the F800GS :)

[​IMG]

19. Mil-spec motorcycle parts? Actually loving it.

OneEarTim and Cuchulainn like this.
  20. If your looking for a beta tester for the risers, I know a guy who is 6’2 and needs a set ... just sayin’ :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OneEarTim likes this.