Oil Filter Torque?

Discussion in 'CRF1000L(2) Engine and Transmission' started by BlessTheRains, May 12, 2018.

1. BlessTheRains

BlessTheRains Member

Hood Monkey
    Just did my 600 mile oil change on my 2017 DCT. I was surprised to see a torque listed for the oil filter because I haven't seen that before on motorcycles or cars I've serviced. I've always just put it on at tight as I can by hand.

What are other people doing? And if you're tightening it to the specified torque, are you using the Honda oil filter wrench (7HAA-PJ70101)?

Also, the oil filter I removed was dented and scraped up and I'm pretty sure I didn't do it because my filter wrench has red plastic grips to prevent damage. And I didn't notice any crushing when I removed it.

Finally, the mating surface where the oil filter goes is damaged around the outside (it's rough to the touch and you can see the damage). However, the inside is nice and smooth and I think that's where the oil filter ring fits up to the surface. I took a short test ride and haven't seen any oil leaking so it looks like a good seal. Should I be concerned?

damaged-oil-filter-surface.jpg dented-oil-filter#1.jpg dented-oil-filter-#2.jpg

2. BlessTheRains

BlessTheRains Member

Hood Monkey
    OK, I answered my own question on the torque. I found the oil filter wrench below at Pep Boys and when I torqued (19 ft-lbs or 26 N-m) my oil filter that I had hand tightened previously, it turned about 10 more degrees. So I guess my hand-tightened torque strength isn't up to par.

Now that I have the filter wrench, I'll be torquing my AT oil filter to the specified amount from now on.

AT-oil-filter-socket.jpg

3. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Hand tight, do not use a wrench. The filter ends up being a pressure vessel, pressure cycles could cause the can to open up where it is damaged by the tool. I’ve seen it happen. And your damage to the sealing surface is from the filter being over tightened.

BlessTheRains likes this.
  4. BlessTheRains

BlessTheRains Member

Hood Monkey
    Just to be clear, I just did the first 600-mile oil change so the existing damage to the sealing surface and the previous oil filter was done by the dealer.

I'm glad I did the oil change now. The previous filter was quite dented and scraped up--definitely at higher risk of failure during pressure cycles.

The "wrench" I used on the new filter is better described as a socket and fits perfectly on the cap of the new filter. When I carefully applied the torque, it didn't damage the new oil filter. It just turned a little bit more (slowly) and then the torque wrench clicked.

I think I'll take the old oil filter to the dealer and show the owner so he knows his shop is doing sub-par work. (The dealership is only 6-months old and the owner was also the salesman that sold me the AT. I'm pretty sure he'll want to know.)

5. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

The filter should have come on the bike from the factory, maybe they tightened it as part of the pre delivery inspection.

6. BobSill

BobSill New Member

Oiled o-ring and Torqued filter to spec. Never had any problem in getting it off at 5,000k, no leaks and no dents in filter housing. I use the same filter cap wrench on my VTX and never had a problem in 122,000k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Then again, I’m kind of an ogre, my coworkers always complain when they have to remove one of my oil filters. One even put in a workers comp claim, citing shoulder injury while removing an oil filter. What a Nancy!

8. SoCalEddie

SoCalEddie Administrator
    Staff Member

#8 SoCalEddie, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    @BlessTheRains I was taught to always hand tighten the oil filters but went ahead and picked up a craftsman’s torque wrench thinking I might follow the manufacturerer’s suggestion. All those years of people drilling it in my head I ended up never using the torque wrench for the oil filter.

294FDA80-DF05-4304-B5E5-752E37DC7C2E.jpeg

You’re right! 26 N•m is the correct torque setting. We have a torque thread list going too and please feel free to add. We’ll keep it updated. https://www.africatwin.org/threads/honda-africa-twin-shop-manual-and-common-torque-settings.1231/