pegs support

Discussion in 'CRF1000L Known Issues and Fixes' started by nitronori, Apr 13, 2016.

1. I've read on a magazine that during a print test after a small accident peg support got broken and it's alu-cast and not weldable

any of you faced the problem?

is it better to bring a couple of spare support just in case?

2. I would carry at least 2 of each, depending on how many times you think you'll crash.

RICHIESNO likes this.
  3. yeah mine broke off quite easily with a slide on a dirt road, still waiting for the new one, the right side is more than footpeg support it has the rear brake as well. cast alloy was a stupid idea IMO to have in this region specially when they gave it a steel tube frame for the very reason of easy backyard repairs

4. any idea about the cost?
    I think it's mandatory to have both of them spares for long trips

5. not yet but when I get it all fixed ill tell you, spare footpegs for a trip is a joke, might as well strap a spare seat on too

6. Dear Jimbo, my last long run for example was a 8'700 km ride between July and August: it would be fun to get stuck thousand kilometers from home waiting a couple of weeks for spare parts maybe just because your bike fell from side stand...

if you just make sunday-rides around your town it's ok not having spares with you but when i do adventure rides i always have for example a clutch lever and some other critical spares that can save my ass in the middle of nowhere

7. fully understand but I've never carried spare footpegs before, have you? My comment with the spare seat meant where do you draw the line,and stuff Honda for making a stupid decision with cast alloy footpeg supports. However I just recalled on my xr 650 r the right hand footpeg bolts both snapped off when I landed hard from a jump on a track once, they were steel bolts in an alu thread and were also a weak design. Wound up having to drill right through the frame & put longer HT bolts with nuts on the other side. From then on I always carried spare footpeg bolts with that bike but never needed them again.

8. Jimbo, I know that Murphy rules are always following us ;)

by the way some items as the peg itself or the relevant screw can be fixed with a temporary solution

this casted-alu item looks like something that is difficult to replace with a piece of steelbar or something else this is why I am thinking about buying a spare for the long trips

9. yes I wonder how strong the left side is, it does look a bit sturdier. the right side is sturdy for what it is designed for but when hit from underneath it is not. FYI bmx stunt peg works well with inner tube wrapped round for grip. My kid wants his stunt peg back so is anxious for my parts to come also.Have a good trip nitronori

10. dropped mine yesterday on a dirt road. It tweaked the peg mount and when I stood on it and lightly bounced on it it snapped off. Poor design. I was hoping someone had an aftermarket design... maybe billet aluminum or steel. Cast aluminum was a poor choice.

Also rear brake lever wrapped all the back and looked like a horseshoe. Has anyone fitted a brake snake?

11. do you have a pic of the damage?

12. This is some of our fieldwork after straightening the brake pedal out. The pedal was bent all the way back past the foot peg.

9871.jpeg